Rex regional routes safe ‘for now’

THERE is no indication that Rex Airlines will cease its domestic operations following the collapse of flights between capital cities, according to Mildura Airport chief executive Trevor Willcock.

Regional Express Holdings Limited and a number of its subsidiaries under the Rex Group entered voluntary administration overnight Tuesday with only the 737 fleet between major cities impacted.

In a statement released by the company, a spokesperson said all regional planes were still flying as scheduled, however domestic flights between major cities had been cancelled.

Virgin Australia offered to assist Rex customers with an existing ticket on a flight cancelled due to the administration process, with the opportunity to transfer their ticket free of charge to the 13 overlapping Virgin Australia services.

Mr Willcock said he had “definitely nor heard anything” about the airline cancelling or altering its inbound or outbound Mildura flights.

He said the airport had received Rex’s August and September schedules this week which were “all as they were prior to these events”.

“The regional operations are carrying on as normal and it is business as usual at this stage,” he said.

“We were informed that 737 operations have been ceased, (however) the regional routes have always been pretty profitable and successful as we understand.”

Member for Mildura Jade Benham said Rex’s 737 routes were grounded because “they are simply not profitable”, however Mildura remained “a very, very good route for Rex”.

“At this stage, there’s no changes for Mildura, but it does make everyone a little bit nervous and I get that particularly so close after the collapse of Bonza,” she said.

“But at the moment we’re OK.”

Ernst & Young Australia have been appointed administrators and there was some speculation that the airline may require additional government assistance to keep planes in the air.

Member for Mallee Anne Webster said Rex must remain as an essential service for Sunraysia and regional Australia.

“A third of Rex’s work ensures that regional Australians can access specialists in capital cities, and indeed, flies medical services into regions almost every single day,” she said.

“Rex is an essential service and guarantees health services to regional Australians – it cannot be allowed to close.”

Federal Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Catherine King said it was “a relief” that all regional routes were continuing.

“Rex’s continuation is in the best interests of regional Australians, the travelling public, its workers and the aviation sector more broadly,” she said.

“And the government will work very closely with the administrators to ensure a strong regional aviation presence in the future.

“The government will act expeditiously, but we will also be acting carefully in this space.

“It is a complex situation with multiple commercial arrangements in place, but we do stand ready to work very closely with the administrators, because that regional presence is absolutely vital.”

Ms King said she was pleased that administrators had already confirmed that there was sufficient funding available to maintain the regional services throughout the period of administration.

Domestic aviation statistics released by the Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research Economics last week showed that the Melbourne-Mildura flight route had the biggest growth of any commercial flight route in Australia between the year ending April 2023 and year ending April 2024.

Across the 12 months, there were 176,900 travellers on the route, an increase of 18.8 per cent, making it the 48th most common flight route in Australia.

Digital Editions


More News

  • We found unity in extreme tragedy

    We found unity in extreme tragedy

    MY name is John Cortese. I was principal of Red Cliffs Secondary College from 1997 to 2008. It is completely understandable that this 20-year anniversary would stir so much emotion.…

  • Road safety is key

    Road safety is key

    Jade Benham Member for Mildura WHILE some may say the last 20 years have flown, for those affected by the Cardross Tragedy, every day has been a painful reminder of…

  • Longest Lunch Launched

    Longest Lunch Launched

    ROTARY Mildura Deakin are excited to announce the return of Mildura’s Longest Lunch on Friday 20 March, commencing at 12:00pm. Event Coordinator Tim Aldridge said the Longest Lunch had become…

  • Irish charm to hit Sunraysia

    Irish charm to hit Sunraysia

    IRELAND: The Voyage, which comes to Mildura Arts Centre on Thursday 26 February, is more than just a song and dance about Irish folklore. It’s a celebration of Ireland’s history…

  • Fencing reviews recommended

    Fencing reviews recommended

    FARMERS affected by the recent bushfires are being encouraged to review their infrastructure layout before re-establishing traditional fencing. For many fire-affected farmers, the rebuilding process provides the opportunity to establish…

  • New growth at grains conference

    New growth at grains conference

    THE next generation of farming practices is set to be on full display at Yarrawonga’s upcoming grains conference. The annual Grains Conference by Victorian Farmers Federation is a two-day event…

  • New manager for private hospital

    New manager for private hospital

    MILDURA Health Private Hospital has a new executive general manager. Sharita Ram, who has extensive clinical, operational, and executive leadership experience with private health and aged care, commenced her role…

  • Hay, check for weeds

    Hay, check for weeds

    DROUGHT and bushfire affected farmers are being encouraged to check their fodder deliveries for aggressive weeds that continue to threaten the State. The top concern is the parthenium weed, Parthenium…

  • Karly comes home for cancer concert

    Karly comes home for cancer concert

    WENTWORTH singer-songwriter, Karly Jewell, is on her way home to play at the 2026 Concert for Cancer Research at the Wentworth Showgrounds on Saturday, 7 March. Jewell, who has released…

  • Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    WEDNESDAY 18 February was the 20 year anniversary of the Cardross Tragedy, an event that left an indelible mark on a small community and Sunraysia at large. The events of…