Pool barrier compliance extension

MALLEE residents have more time to get their pools and spa safety barriers inspected and certified after the Victorian Government extended a deadline.

Planning Minister Richard Wynne extended the deadline for owners to lodge certificates of pool and spa barrier compliance with their local council, in recognition of the limited opportunity for building inspectors to visit homes during the coronavirus pandemic.

The first certificate lodgment deadline will be extended from November 1, 2021, to June 1, 2022, with subsequent lodgment deadlines also moved back to June 2023 and June 2024 respectively.

“This extension acknowledges the extra pressure that the coronavirus is placing on families, as well as the challenge of finding building practitioners to inspect and certify safety barriers and fix any identified non-compliance,” Mr Wynne said.

In December 2019 the government amended building regulations to introduce new requirements to improve the safety of private swimming pools and spas. The regulations include for owners to register their swimming pools and spas with their local council. Failure to register may attract an infringement notice of up to $363.

Owners must also have a registered building surveyor or inspector certify the continuing compliance of their safety barriers every four years.

“Drowning is the most common cause of preventable death for young children and in Victoria most fatal drownings of young children occur in backyard swimming pools,” Mr Wynne said.

Digital Editions


  • Wenty council continues projects

    Wenty council continues projects

    WENTWORTH Shire Council recently outlined latest completed and ongoing projects for the month. First on the list was a recommendation from the state government to…

More News

  • Labor hangs on for victory in tight by-election

    Labor hangs on for victory in tight by-election

    BRISBANE: The governing Liberal National Party has conceded it won’t win a closely fought Queensland by-election triggered by the sudden death of the local member. But a big swing away…

  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with the federal budget. The latest…

  • Gentle riders raise awareness

    Gentle riders raise awareness

    MILDURA’S Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride returned for another year, joining the worldwide initiative for men’s health and wellbeing. This year’s ride welcomed 24 well-dressed riders, driving through the Mildura area on…

  • Safety upgrades for highways

    Safety upgrades for highways

    SAFETY barrier installations have been planned along the Silver City Highway and Sturt Highway near Wentworth in a $1.2 million project to reduce crashes. Transport for NSW’s plans include adding…

  • Refreshing restart for wellbeing week

    Refreshing restart for wellbeing week

    MALLEE’S Community Wellbeing Week has returned for another year, growing into a full six-day program for the community. Events for the week have been scheduled for Mildura as well as…

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…