Food supply chain must remain open, says Walsh

VICTORIAN Nationals leader Peter Walsh says all industries involved in the food supply chain must remain open amid the COVID-19 crisis. 

Earlier this week, Mr Walsh wrote to the premier asking him to “guarantee” the food supply chain would be exempt from any future restrictions. 

“That goes right from the rural merchandise stores that provide seasonal fertiliser and chemical through to veterinary services, sale yards, abattoirs, food processes, transport and logistics that moves all those goods,” Mr Walsh said. 

“Because there’s no point in having the supermarkets open if we don’t have the food supply chain guaranteed of being able to function because there won’t be anything to put in the supermarkets.” 
Mr Walsh, the Member for Murray Plains, said he had been “inundated” with calls since Sunday from rural merchandise stores, abattoirs and farmers asking if they were going to be closed down. 

“It needs clarity and we do need the food supply chain to keep working,” he said. 

“I keep telling people it’s business as usual until there is a directive otherwise.” 

Mr Walsh said while there has been a lot of confusion around what is essential and non-essential, it was important to focus on what rules have been announced. 

“There was a very clear direction on Monday morning from the federal and state government around what was closing,” he said. 

“It’s important to focus on the facts of what has been announced rather than speculating what could happen in the future as that is just creating confusion.” 

On Monday this week, Minister for Agriculture Jaclyn Symes’ confirmed Victorian agriculture and agribusiness were an essential service.

Victorian Farmers Federation (VFF) President David Jochinke welcomed the announcement and said the VFF had been working closely with the state government. 

“Victoria’s agricultural sector is the backbone of our state and a fundamental component of our economy,” he said. 

“We are the lifeblood of many regional centres and rural towns. The important thing is that we are all working together to secure the future of our agricultural industry and continuing to produce to feed Victorians during these trying times.”

Minister for Agriculture, Drought and Emergency Management David Littleproud has also announced Mark Tucker will be the senior agriculture industry engagement officer to maintain agricultural production and supply chains through the COVID-19 response.

“Mr Tucker will be the key liaison between my department and agriculture, fisheries and forestry stakeholders affected by COVID-19,” he said. 

“He understands the ag sector through-and-through from his distinguished career working closely with this industry’s stakeholders and peak bodies.
“This role will give us regular status updates on key issues in this sector and it’ll help us respond exactly where we need to.”


SALE-YARDS REMAIN OPEN

SWAN Hill Rural City Council (SHRCC) has confirmed sheep and cattle sales are continuing at the Swan Hill Regional Livestock Exchange, subject to government advice and any further restrictions. 

“Advice from Australian Livestock Managers Association suggested that we continue prime cattle sales, as long as social distancing and other measures are in place, and that is what we are doing,” SHRCC director of infrastructure Svetla Petkova said. 

“Many of the sales that are being cancelled in other areas are store sales. Ours are mostly for processing, for meat to go into supermarkets and shops, which we see as an important service.”

In an attempt to minimise risk, general members of the public will not be admitted to the sales.

Entry will be restricted to agents, buyers and sale staff to ensure social distancing and to reduce the risk. 

“We will record the details of all those who do enter to allow for traceability, if needed,” Ms Petkova said. 

“Buyers and producers will be notified of any changes through agents. We are in regular contact with them and through Council’s normal social media channels and website.” 

 

Digital Editions


  • MFNL women down to four after Roo exit

    MFNL women down to four after Roo exit

    THE Millewa Football Netball League women’s competition will continue this season despite the withdrawal of the Meringur team due to a lack of numbers. One…

More News

  • Roos to rule in Red Cliffs

    Roos to rule in Red Cliffs

    WENTWORTH A Grade netball team is placed third on the Sunraysia Football Netball League ladder for a reason. They have lost one game against ladder leaders, Mildura, by one goal,…

  • Demons to tame doggies at the Precinct

    Demons to tame doggies at the Precinct

    THE South Mildura A Grade netballers face a tough task in quenching the Demons’ fire at the Mildura Sporting Precinct on Saturday. Mildura had a seven-goal win against Ouyen United…

  • Recycling facility opens at Buronga

    Recycling facility opens at Buronga

    RECYCLABLE and reusable items can now be dropped off before the weighbridge at Buronga Landfill, allowing residents to reduce their waste disposal fees. The Wentworth Shire Council announced that the…

  • Volunteers spread musical cheer

    Volunteers spread musical cheer

    NATIONAL Volunteer Week runs until Sunday, 24 May, with the theme ’Your Year to Volunteer’, aiming to highlight contributions of people already helping in the community, and encourage new volunteers…

  • Catholic schools’ mass congregation

    Catholic schools’ mass congregation

    STUDENTS from six Mildura catholic schools recently gathered at St Joseph’s College stadium in the region’s annual Catholic Education Week mass. The annual mass has been running for more than…

  • Painters, pop stars and pirouettes at MAC

    Painters, pop stars and pirouettes at MAC

    PARENTS and friends didn’t have to wait until the Mildura Ballet and Dance Guild’s end-of-year performance to see their children pirouette, tap, jazz, and arabesque their way across the stage.…

  • Referee course at home

    Referee course at home

    A NEW course has opened up for Mildura football enthusiasts following the growing demand for local referees in regional areas. Football Victoria is encouraging anyone 13 and older to join…

  • Wenty welcomes RSL hub

    Wenty welcomes RSL hub

    WENTWORTH RSL Sub-branch has finally claimed a new home for the first time in its more than 100 year history. The RSL sub-branch has been supporting local defence force members…

  • Young volunteers vital to regional communities

    Young volunteers vital to regional communities

    FOR Scarlett Elliott of Red Cliffs, volunteering began with a simple desire to connect with people and be part of something bigger than herself. Now the 26-year-old works across local…

  • Bond for slow driver

    Bond for slow driver

    A DRIVER who failed to stop at police direction after being observed driving 20km/h in an 60km/h zone has had her licence disqualified for 12 months. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court…