Big chill hits the 2020 winter netball season

THE Mildura Netball Association (MNA) has been forced to cancel its winter season, however it is holding out hope twilight netball can be run later this year.

The MNA board met this week with the unanimous decision made to call off the winter season, which had already been delayed when the COVID-19 pandemic first hit.

Vice-president Alana Mills said the decision factored in controlling access to Mansell Reserve, spectator limits and the new developments in the border closure between New South Wales and Victoria.

“The guidelines for returning to play with the way Mansell Reserve is set up and now with this new shutdown looming and the border closure we weren’t sure how that was going to look getting players over to Mildura as well as our volunteers,” Mills said.

“It just seemed like it was the right call to cancel, we were hoping for an eight-week season but it just got to the point where we couldn’t do it.

“We can’t be everywhere all the time, that was the concern for volunteers – we’d be playing multiple nights and with the rules set up by Netball Victoria – with one entry and exit point on an open reserve – how do we police that with the volunteers we have?”

In a further blow, the MNA has also had to cancel its signature Spring Carnival, which draws thousands of people to the community from Victoria and other states, due to the border closures.

But all is not lost for the association going forward, with its eyes on a decision in mid-September regarding this year’s twilight competition.

That competition is not due to start until October.

“We’re hoping and very optimistic restrictions will change in regional Victoria to allow us to have a return season for that,” Mills said.

“Our utmost intention is to make sure we can get that up, for players in Mildura definitely we want that happen.”

The MNA has also been successful in gaining funding from the Victorian Government’s Local Sports Infrastructure Fund’s Female Friendly Facilities program, which will enable the association to relocate to the Mildura South Regional Sporting Precinct and host state and regional events.

The government on Tuesday announced the sports precinct would be one of 100 projects across the state to share in $30 million through the fund.

A total of $500,000 will go towards the outdoor netball courts and lighting project, while $250,000 has been allocated for the multi-sport outdoor infrastructure project.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Good library reads

    Good library reads

    How We Relate: A psychologist’s guide to building and maintaining good relationships by Dr Ahona Guha (Scribe, 2026) Understanding relationships isn’t just about other people—it starts with understanding yourself and…

  • Salvos need help to help

    Salvos need help to help

    ALMOST nine in 10 parents going without food so kids can eat and more than one third can’t afford doctors for kids and a shocking one in five say their…

  • Clothing donation drive call out

    Clothing donation drive call out

    THRIFT project In Rotation has put out a call for clothing donations ready for a second life. The donation drive will fill bags to send to remote op shops across…

  • National viticulture seminar returns

    National viticulture seminar returns

    MILDURA will next week welcome the return of a highly requested grape growers seminar aimed at strengthening growers’ long-term performance. The National Viticulture Seminar is organised by the Australian Society…

  • Budget impact on wine industry

    Budget impact on wine industry

    A CRITICAL opportunity for the Federal Government to support an orderly transition in the wine sector and minimise impacts on regional communities has been missed, according to Australian Grape and…

  • Lambing program yields productive results

    Lambing program yields productive results

    LATEST results from an on-farm Mallee demonstration have shown promising results for sheep producers looking to improve flock reproductive performance. The More Northern Mallee Lambs program recently wrapped up its…

  • The Rubens bring concert to carpark

    The Rubens bring concert to carpark

    IN a first for Australian alternative rock band The Rubens, their one night only gig in Mildura will be in a carpark. Lead singer Sam Margin said the last time…

  • Ready for the plunge

    Ready for the plunge

    CROWDS are expected to flock to the Imperial’s roost at oval three today as the region steps up for its third annual Mildura Big Freeze. The community driven event is…

  • Steam, stories and settlement spirit At Chaffey Festival

    Steam, stories and settlement spirit At Chaffey Festival

    FROM steam-powered farming innovation to rare archival footage, this year’s Chaffey Festival brings Mildura’s pioneering past to life. Hosted by the Chaffey Trail Reference Group and running from Wednesday 27…

  • Bail refused ram raid accused

    Bail refused ram raid accused

    THE alleged driver of a vehicle responsible for a ram raid at Titto’s Store earlier this week has been refused bail. The Mildura Magistrate’s Court heard Zach Whitelegg attended the…