Big chill hits the 2020 winter netball season

THE Mildura Netball Association (MNA) has been forced to cancel its winter season, however it is holding out hope twilight netball can be run later this year.

The MNA board met this week with the unanimous decision made to call off the winter season, which had already been delayed when the COVID-19 pandemic first hit.

Vice-president Alana Mills said the decision factored in controlling access to Mansell Reserve, spectator limits and the new developments in the border closure between New South Wales and Victoria.

“The guidelines for returning to play with the way Mansell Reserve is set up and now with this new shutdown looming and the border closure we weren’t sure how that was going to look getting players over to Mildura as well as our volunteers,” Mills said.

“It just seemed like it was the right call to cancel, we were hoping for an eight-week season but it just got to the point where we couldn’t do it.

“We can’t be everywhere all the time, that was the concern for volunteers – we’d be playing multiple nights and with the rules set up by Netball Victoria – with one entry and exit point on an open reserve – how do we police that with the volunteers we have?”

In a further blow, the MNA has also had to cancel its signature Spring Carnival, which draws thousands of people to the community from Victoria and other states, due to the border closures.

But all is not lost for the association going forward, with its eyes on a decision in mid-September regarding this year’s twilight competition.

That competition is not due to start until October.

“We’re hoping and very optimistic restrictions will change in regional Victoria to allow us to have a return season for that,” Mills said.

“Our utmost intention is to make sure we can get that up, for players in Mildura definitely we want that happen.”

The MNA has also been successful in gaining funding from the Victorian Government’s Local Sports Infrastructure Fund’s Female Friendly Facilities program, which will enable the association to relocate to the Mildura South Regional Sporting Precinct and host state and regional events.

The government on Tuesday announced the sports precinct would be one of 100 projects across the state to share in $30 million through the fund.

A total of $500,000 will go towards the outdoor netball courts and lighting project, while $250,000 has been allocated for the multi-sport outdoor infrastructure project.

Digital Editions


  • Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    CONTINUAL cost-shifting onto municipalities is unsustainable and should sit with the responsible body, according to Local Government NSW. During the week the New South Wales…

More News

  • Wenty council to fund Ruby repairs

    Wenty council to fund Ruby repairs

    WENTWORTH Shire councillors have agreed to provide a historic paddle steamer with $50,000 maintenance budget to spare the vessel from degradation. In the most recent ordinary meeting, Wentworth Shire Council…

  • Icon artist awarded

    Icon artist awarded

    An Iconic local sign painter and motorcycle enthusiast has received the region’s top artist award. Terry “Moose” McGowan is renowned in the region for designing and painting some of the…

  • New movie nights features most loved films

    New movie nights features most loved films

    MILDURA’S movie lovers will have the chance to experience iconic films as they were meant to be seen in the Wallis Cinema’s latest cinema appreciation. A new Loved on Letterboxd…

  • Ribbon cut on new kinder

    Ribbon cut on new kinder

    HENDERSON College officially unveiled it’s new Early Learning Centre on Wednesday, with the aim of offering long day care and an integrated kindergarten program for children aged three to five…

  • What’s on this weekend?

    What’s on this weekend?

    FRIDAY Vista Views Mildura Arts Centre FROM its iconic exterior to the intricate details within, discover how artists have captured the spirit, history and charm of the Rio Vista Historic…

  • Good behaviour bod for repeated breaches

    Good behaviour bod for repeated breaches

    A MAN has pleaded guilty to multiple breaches of a full no-contact intervention order after he made 79 calls to the protected person in less than two months. The Mildura…

  • Pressure grows for water inquiry

    Pressure grows for water inquiry

    THE New South Wales Government has backed calls by an independent member of State Parliament for a royal commission into water management. Member for Murray, Helen Dalton, called on the…

  • Arrest following police pursuit

    Arrest following police pursuit

    A MAN has been arrested following a pursuit in Mildura’s main streets on Monday night. Police alleged a man drove a white utility ute to Deakin Avenue about 8.30pm before…

  • Upgrades planned for remote uni campus

    Upgrades planned for remote uni campus

    A CAMPUS of Federation University in a remote corner of New South Wales is about to get an overhaul. Known as Nanya Research Station, the site lies in the far…

  • Cash rolls in while seat still warm

    Cash rolls in while seat still warm

    MONEY has already started flowing in to the race for the Federal seat of Farrer, with the only currently declared candidate set to receive a major donation from a lobby…