Two-game ban for Mee’s neck-break tackle

IRYMPLE midfield star Nick Mee has been slapped with a two-game ban for a rough tackle that left Merbein’s Sam Brinsmead with a neck fracture likely to end his football career.

A remorseful Mee pleaded guilty at a tribunal hearing on Wednesday night to a charge of engaging in rough conduct in the May 28 clash at Kenny Park.

The SFNL’s three-member independent panel, headed by Lindsay Lynch, heard evidence from Swallows and Magpie representatives, along with the two field umpires, Michael Breewel and Nathan Willis, who reported the incident.

There was debate over whether the tackle was careless or intended to hurt Brinsmead, a former Swallows player.

All parties agreed the initial contact was “a strong tackle”.

The Swallows did not accept there was reckless intent from Mee where he slung Brinsmead to the ground in a heavy, head-and-shoulders first impact that caused the spinal injury.

Brinsmead, who had been in stellar form this season, was at the hearing in a neck brace.

He told Sunraysia Daily that he would be in the neck brace for the next six weeks before a scan then would determine the full extent of the injury, and the next course of recovery.

Speaking outside the hearing, as Mee awaited his punishment, Brinsmead revealed he had a fracture of the C7 vertebrae, and that tests had showed he was knocked out for 40 seconds after the tackle.

The 27-year-old Brinsmead, who was in his second season at Kenny Park, said he was unsure whether he’d ever play again.

He also revealed that his plans to move to London in the next month for teaching work were now scuppered.

Mee looked downcast during the hearing.

His club representative, Dennis Mitchell, told the three-member panel that Mee was remorseful for the incident and that he was an upstanding member of the community.

Mitchell said Mee worked with disadvantaged Aboriginal youth and was a mentor to the club’s players.

“He’s a good human being,” Mitchell said.

SFNL executive officer Peter Walker said Mee had appeared before the league’s independent tribunal on two previous occasions, in 2013 and 2019.

He was charged with striking in both instances, copping a one-game ban in 2013 and a two-match suspension in 2019.

Mee will miss the Swallows’ clash with Imperials this weekend and the following round’s game against Red Cliffs.

Digital Editions


  • Lambing program yields productive results

    Lambing program yields productive results

    LATEST results from an on-farm Mallee demonstration have shown promising results for sheep producers looking to improve flock reproductive performance. The More Northern Mallee Lambs…

More News

  • Bail refused ram raid accused

    Bail refused ram raid accused

    THE alleged driver of a vehicle responsible for a ram raid at Titto’s Store earlier this week has been refused bail. The Mildura Magistrate’s Court heard Zach Whitelegg attended the…

  • Budget debt in heated debate

    Budget debt in heated debate

    VICTORIA’S operating surplus has become the topic of a heated enquiry following recent committee hearings into the budget estimates. The Victorian Government’s Public Accounts and Estimates Committee have recently launched…

  • Aged care protections too late: Webster

    Aged care protections too late: Webster

    MEMBER for Mallee Anne Webster has said the recently announced protections for aged care consumers is too little too late after Mallee residents are now waiting a reported 295 days…

  • Dig day discoveries at Mildura West

    Dig day discoveries at Mildura West

    PEOPLE driving past Mildura West Primary School on Wednesday might have thought that little diggers had mistaken the sand pit for an archaeological dig in Egypt. However, fossils, bones, artefacts…

  • RSPCA celebrates volunteer milestone

    RSPCA celebrates volunteer milestone

    RSPCA Victoria is celebrating its force of exceptional volunteers this National Volunteer Week (18-24 May) and recognising the essential role they play in animal welfare. As a gesture of thanks…

  • Rex reduction

    Rex reduction

    REX has announced a reduction in its return services between Mildura and Melbourne from 24 to 19 per week as part of a larger restructuring of its Victoria and Tasmania…

  • Eagles to swim it in at Sarah Oval

    Eagles to swim it in at Sarah Oval

    THE Imperials A Grade netball team will have to eat bucketfuls of Weetbix to try and beat Robinvale Euston at the Sarah Oval on Saturday. The Eagles, who are at…

  • Swallows to take flight

    Swallows to take flight

    ROUND seven sees Ouyen United play Irymple in the A Grade Sunraysia Football Netball League clash at Underbool Recreation Reserve on Saturday. It’s fourth versus eighth on the ladder, with…

  • Mildura still top responder

    Mildura still top responder

    MILDURA Ambulance Victoria response times have stayed close to average, reaching code one cases under 15 minutes more than 70 per cent of the time. Mildura’s Local Government Area cases…

  • Thirty cents a beer, I’ll drink to that

    Thirty cents a beer, I’ll drink to that

    PRESENTED by Mildura & District Historical Society Compiled by Mildura Rural City Council Libraries 100 YEARS AGO: 1926 PARCEL: Good progress is being made in the erection of the addition…