Scope for growth at MSP, developer says

OPINIONS remain divided on the user-friendliness of Mildura Sporting Precinct, where work on Stage 2 will soon finish.

As I revealed in a front-page story last Saturday, the delays now centre around the beach volleyball courts, where the wrong type of sand was placed.

It’s still a mystery to me – and Volleyball Victoria officials – how this occurred, given Mildura Council was sent the requirements for certification.

I sent the council eight questions about the fiasco in an attempt to establish who was at fault.

I asked if the builder was following the specifications from council in placing the wrong sand (too coarse) on the courts, and why council didn’t take up an offer from VV for 30 metric tonnes of certified sand that had been used at a beach volleyball tournament in Geelong last November.

Those key questions went unanswered.

But don’t worry, I’m due to have a site tour at MSP in the next week, so I’ll have another throw at the stumps.

User groups, including South Mildura Sporting Club, have been critical of various aspects of the build.

And I’ve voiced my concerns after feedback from a cross-section of the local sporting community.

Notably, it’s the lack of seating – both around the premier oval and inside the stadium – that have got people’s backs up.

This week I wanted to get a fresh, independent perspective on the project from a building expert who knows a thing or two about footy and basketball.

The first person who came to mind was Bob Faulkhead, who ticks both of those boxes.

Contrary to what some of you might have thought, ‘Bob the builder’ says the $47.5 million precinct is “sensational”.

“The council deserves credit for what they have achieved so far when you consider what they’ve had to go through to get to this point,” Faulkhead said.

“They’ve had to deal with multiple user groups and a major engineering concept.

“Purely satisfying the user groups would have been a big job in itself.

“What I see in the project is a statement.

“If they finish it off as good as I think they will, people from all over Australia who come here will walk away very impressed.”

Faulkhead did, however, concede that more work was needed to improve the facility.

He suggested that a standalone “showcourt basketball stadium” should be built adjacent to the existing stadium and pavilion, which cost $26.6 million in Stage 1.

He estimated that the separate, more boutique stadium would cost about $12 million for private enterprise to build.

“This is a necessity,” he said.

“We should have a standalone showcase stadium that permanently seats at least 1500 people.

“One day, when the time’s right, they might be able to find a second access off San Mateo Avenue, and have a car park for the showcase stadium.”

As for the premier oval, he said additional seating, costing about $2 million, could be added to the small grandstand currently in place.

“I’ve looked at this since they started construction on the small grandstand,” he said.

“I can picture that continuing at the same level and same structure for two-thirds of the ground.

“You’d keep the grassed hill, but it does need more seating around the ground.”

In terms of the extra costs, he said ratepayers should be prepared to foot the bill for the greater good of attracting major events.

“Do we really care if it comes out of rates over the next 15 years?” Faulkhead said.

“Isn’t it a trophy for the ratepayers?

“That’s the way I see sporting facilities and other things like dog parks.

“The community needs to pay for having good-quality facilities.”

He then turned his focus to how planning should have been already under way for “another precinct like this”.

“Old Aeros cover the north and (MSP) covers the south.

“Red Cliffs could be an option for the next major precinct.

“They’ve got the land for it.”

Before wrapping up the interview, I asked Faulkhead if he felt the community was too critical of the council.

“Councils are very easy to kick, but the staff are trying to do their best,” he said.

“All the things you’ve been talking about could easily have been incorporated for another $40 million.

“It’s 15 years overdue to get this sort of project (MSP), because sports haven’t been able to grow because of inadequate facilities.

“So, we should be thankful for what we have – and look to keep improving it.”

 


Mick’s Big Dance

I’ll be one of many at Brian Weightman Oval today for Mick Hogarth’s lap of honour as part of the celebration of the Imperials great’s life and wonderful sporting career.

I never had the privilege of seeing Hogarth tear it up on the footy field with Imps’ golden generation of footballers in the late 1980s and 1990s.

But I’ve been riveted this week listening to the likes of ex-teammate Tony Hickey’s reflections of Mick’s prowess in the midfield and half-back flank as part of six premiership teams.

Hogarth was equally brilliant on the cricket field with Workers (and later Workers Gol Gol), winning two Sunraysia Cricket Association titles and three Innes Medals.

I had an amazing interview for yesterday’s front-page story on Hogarth with one of his former cricket teammates, Andrew Banks, who reminisced about Hogarth’s finest knocks against the best attacks in the district.

The lap of honour for Hogarth, who is fighting hard against the crippling effects of motor neurone disease, will be at 2.15pm today, shortly before what should be a cracking senior footy game between Imps and Wentworth.

Let’s hope locals turn out in their droves to honour and support Hogarth and his loving family.

*** Do you have a view on MSP and want to challenge Bob Faulkhead? If so, email Matt at mtaylor@sunraysiadaily.com.au

Digital Editions


  • Arrest following police pursuit

    Arrest following police pursuit

    A MAN has been arrested following a pursuit in Mildura’s main streets on Monday night. Police alleged a man drove a white utility ute to…

More News

  • Further scholarship winners coming

    Further scholarship winners coming

    CHANCES for Children is set to announce recipients in the next round of financial support in the coming weeks following the recent confirmation of the program’s tertiary scholarship winners. The…

  • Ready, Setts, go!: landmark building up for sale

    Ready, Setts, go!: landmark building up for sale

    ONE of Mildura’s landmark buildings is up for sale once more, putting a new notch in its long history in the region. The Mildura Settlers Club building boasts a land…

  • Big nomination for young achiever

    Big nomination for young achiever

    A LOCAL school student has been nominated for a Victorian Young Achiever Award for his all round success in sport, arts, and the community. The annual Young Achiever Awards celebrate…

  • Bail refused over alleged assault

    Bail refused over alleged assault

    A MAN who allegedly abused a woman he’d been dating while she was driving, before hitting her with her own vehicle, and continuing to assault and threaten her while driving…

  • Mildura ambulance times top the state

    Mildura ambulance times top the state

    MILDURA Ambulances paramedics recently took the top spot in the state for urban centre response times, attending to 89.9 per cent of code one patients within 15 minutes. Data for…

  • Rail alliance welcomes young members

    Rail alliance welcomes young members

    NORTH West Rail Alliance is on the lookout for more members to carry the torch after confirming one of its youngest members as vice president of the committee. The rail…

  • She’s back: independent quick to stake claim in Farrer

    She’s back: independent quick to stake claim in Farrer

    A PROMINENT independent political candidate has put her hand back as a hopeful for the Federal seat of Farrer, following the current MP and former Coalition leader Sussan Ley’s dramatic…

  • Nats confirm a candidate for Farrer race

    Nats confirm a candidate for Farrer race

    NATIONALS leader David Littleproud has confirmed his party will be standing a candidate in the proposed upcoming by-election in the Federal seat of Farrer. Speaking on morning television on Monday,…

  • Libs hit with gender blow as tax fight looms

    Libs hit with gender blow as tax fight looms

    SYDNEY: The Liberals’ freshly minted leaders have again been confronted with their party’s women problem as they try to shift the political conversation to cutting taxes and migrant numbers. New…

  • Cup found safe and sound

    Cup found safe and sound

    J. A. Braidie, the captain of the Merbein Fire Brigade in 1940, knew how to keep things safe. The Merbein Public Brass Band, after winning the D Grade competition at…