SFNL grand final venue brouhaha resurfaces

I’M still coming to grips with revelations last week that certain sections of the Sunraysia Football Netball League hierarchy are considering moving its grand-final day back to the dilapidated Mildura Recreation Reserve.

The bold move out to the new $46 million Mildura Sporting Precinct for grand-final day in 2022 was lauded by participants, officials and many of the 7500 fans who turned out.

However, the extra costs associated with the shift from Brian Weightman Oval to MSP contributed to the SFNL posting a $25,935 loss last year.

It’s prompted some senior officials to look at ditching the new facility, which has an AFL-standard main oval and further improvements to come.

“All options are on the table,” SFNL president Paul Matheson said when asked where this year’s grand finals would be played.

I then asked him whether it was incumbent on the league to showcase its biggest day of the year at the best possible facility?

“It is and it isn’t. We just have to put on the best possible day,” he said.

The league is far from broke, so the finances argument doesn’t really stack up for me.

Financial records show the league had $378,357 in cash surplus at the end of October 2022.

Unlike Matheson, I believe the league has a responsibility to the game to play its grand finals at the premier venue in the region.

I checked in with Mildura Council this week to see what additional features would be completed at MSP by grand-final day on Saturday, September 9.

Here’s a snapshot of its response:

* More than 200 extra carparks and additional overflow parking areas at the rear of the stadium

* Terraced shaded seating at the premier oval to seat about 300 people

* A second oval completed with additional change rooms and umpire facilities

* Four outdoor netball courts, including competition lighting

* Additional ground-floor social space; and

* Full perimeter ticket fencing with gates

The entry/exit points on Sixteenth Street are also expected to be improved in the next six months.

I road-tested the possibility of the SFNL grand finals being shifted back to the old venue with a couple of out-of-town club presidents this week.

Robinvale Euston Football Netball Club president Phil Lamattina shot the idea down in flames.

“It would be ludicrous to go back to City Oval,” he said.

“The new precinct, especially the main oval, is already second to none in the region and the whole thing isn’t finished yet.

“Why would they be even thinking along these lines?”

He said it would be an “embarrassing” look for the SFNL if they made such a retrograde step just to save a few bucks.

“We spend good coin on our players and our club facilities and then, when it comes to the big dance we’re going to put (ex-AFL player Jarrod) Brander, for instance, on City Oval when he instead should be on an AFL-standard ground,” Lamattina said.

“Are they for real?”

Merbein Football Netball Club president Toney Hurley believes that MSP “should be the long-term venue for grand-final day” after having early reservations about the new site.

“I’ll be honest, the first time I drove past it on Sixteenth Street, I thought it was a waste of $40-odd million,” he said.

“But when I went through it, I thought ‘wow’. If you take the price tag away and the fact it could do with some more seats, we have something pretty special there.”

Hurley did, however, think the SFNL played the grand finals at MSP “12 months too early”.

“I’m old school, mate. I would have thought it’d be good have a send-off for No.1 Oval,” he said.

“It’s been the showpiece ground for the league for many, many years, and I just thought it would have been fitting to have one last special grand final day there.

“That’s just me. I think we need to respect the history of the game.”

He also revealed his club failed to make any money out of running a drinks stall at the precinct last year.

“We made an $8000 or $9000 profit when we did it at No.1 Oval, but last year we struggled to make any money because every man and his dog was doing drinks,” Hurley said.

“So we went from making a good profit to making no profit last year. We won’t do it again.”

We’re still nine weeks away from the SFNL season even kicking off, but I’m tipping there’ll be a huge outcry if the league goes back to the future in returning to a facility that desperately needs an upgrade.


$20K BOOST FOR DREAMTIME

THE Dreamtime at the P representative football and netball fixture at MSP on April 15 received a big boost this week when organisers locked in a major sponsor.

Agriculture company Haeusler’s has agreed to kick in $20,000 after being attracted by the Dreamtime’s focus on indigenous issues.

One of the game’s organisers, Michael Robertson, said Haeusler’s were keen to give more work opportunities to the under-privileged.

“They’ll have a tent at the game where young people can find out more about having a career in new-age, high-tech ag,” he said.

“We want to make a difference to people’s lives with this concept, and Haeusler’s is on board with that.”

The first open training sessions for the Sunraysia footy and netball teams will be held tomorrow from 10am at Sarah Oval, with the public welcome to attend.


GIVING CROCS MORE BITE

THERE’S a terrific north-west Victoria storyline playing out in the Northern Territory Premier League football competition this summer.

Reigning McLeod Medallist Kaine Stevens and fellow Ouyen United pair Dallas Willsmore and Dean Staunton, along with Imperials star defenders Matt Mazzini and Ben Galbraith have helped propel Southern Districts to the top of the table.

Ahead of today’s final home-and-away round, the Crocs are two games clear of second-placed Waratah and in the box seat for finals glory.

The Crocs were beaten in the elimination final last season.


GETTING DUCKS IN A ROW

A SUNRAYSIA junior cricket scoreboard caught our newsroom’s eye this week.

A 10-player Mildura Settlers team were bowled out for 8 off seven overs in their Under 14 Division 2 game last weekend against Irymple, who had posted 9/177 in their first innings.

There were no less than eight ducks in the Setts total, with “extras” (6) the highest scorer.

Let’s hope the Setts kids keep their chins up and put it down to a tough lesson at the crease.

Digital Editions


  • Local joins Aboriginal Honour Roll

    Local joins Aboriginal Honour Roll

    A MILDURA local was recently inducted into the state’s Aboriginal Honour Roll to celebrate their service to youth support and community justice. Wiradjuri woman and…

More News

  • Justice Navigators Pilot To Support Sexual Violence Survivors

    Justice Navigators Pilot To Support Sexual Violence Survivors

    A NEW Victorian pilot program aimed at improving legal support for survivors of sexual violence has been welcomed by advocates as a major step toward improving access to justice. The…

  • Court fines for absent votes

    Court fines for absent votes

    A MAN and woman have been fined for not voting in the 2025 Federal Election. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard ex parte, or without the other party present, that the…

  • Accused shoplifter bail app

    Accused shoplifter bail app

    A BAIL application for a man accused of multiple retail thefts has been adjourned for a court-integrated support program assessment. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard Matthew McTeare had been on…

  • Wow-worthy volunteers

    Wow-worthy volunteers

    SES volunteers were championed on Wear Orange Wednesday during National Volunteer Week, recognising the contribution of SES volunteers to communities through supporting people during storms, floods, rescues, and other emergencies…

  • Tutu-ally sweet at MAC

    Tutu-ally sweet at MAC

    THE Australian Ballet, in partnership with the Australian Ballet School, is bringing Clara, the Nutcracker Prince and the Kingdom of Sweets to Mildura Arts Centre for matinee and evening performances…

  • In with the old and the new

    In with the old and the new

    Four o’clock in the afternoon is the perfect time for an aperitif, according to the Mildura Club committee member, Kat Galam. The club, which was founded and re-established by none…

  • Fatal multi-vehicle crash

    Fatal multi-vehicle crash

    A DRIVER has died following a multi-vehicle crash in Trentham Cliffs. Emergency services were called to the intersection of Dansons Road and Sturt Highway just after 8.20am Wednesday morning, and…

  • Solidarity in Sunraysia

    Solidarity in Sunraysia

    OVER 60,000 people in Victoria have Parkinson’s disease, and people in Sunraysia aren’t immune to it. Parkinson’s is a degenerative neurological disorder that affects bodily movements, and while there is…

  • Walking with sole safety

    Walking with sole safety

    STUDENTS at Mildura West Primary School stepped toward a healthier future last week in honour of Walk Safely to School Day. The annual event, now in its 27th run, highlights…

  • Wenty council continues projects

    Wenty council continues projects

    WENTWORTH Shire Council recently outlined latest completed and ongoing projects for the month. First on the list was a recommendation from the state government to keep better control of vegetation…