Ley-dearship battle days away

MEMBER for Farrer Sussan Ley has officially put her hand up to contest the leadership of the Liberal Party.

First elected in 2001, Ms Ley has called for a change in direction and fresh leadership approach, after last Saturday’s significant election defeat to Labor demonstrated to her that the Liberal Party “got it wrong”.

“The Liberal Party needs to listen to the Australian people and meet them where they are,” she said. We need to understand their aspirations.

“We need to build a new economic narrative. We need new policy offerings that show Australians we can help them and their families get ahead.

“We need to listen and we need to change. The Liberal Party must respect modern Australia, reflect modern Australia and represent modern Australia.

“Many Australians, including women and younger Australians, feel neglected by the Liberal Party.

“We must rebuild trust with all sections of Australian society and my election as Leader of the Liberal Party would send a very strong signal that we understand things need to be done differently.”

She is pitted against shadow treasurer Angus Taylor in the tussle for party leadership, and a vote will take place on Tuesday.

Other touted contestants including Andrew Hastie and Dan Tehan have since ruled themselves out of the contest.

“We have an enormous depth of talent in our party room and I want to draw on all of it over the next three years,” Ms Ley said.

“We will carefully develop policies through our robust party room processes, supported by our broader membership, to deliver better outcomes for all Australians.

“Under my leadership, these policies will always be guided by the timeless values which were the foundation of Menzies’ Liberal Party.”

Ms Ley managed to shake off independent challenger Michelle Milthorpe to retain the seat of Farrer, but suffered a swing against her.

The initial ballot count was abandoned, as Ms Milthorpe had garnered more votes than the Labor candidate, Glen Hyde.

Ms Milthorpe said the Australian Electoral Commission could have avoided abandoning count if it had chosen to take a two-candidate-preferred (2CP) approach rather than a two-party-preferred (2PP) approach.

“It meant that the live results didn’t give a clear picture of the actual contest,” she said.

“I’d like to see more consistency and clarity around how independent candidates are represented in the count, it helps voters better understand what’s really happening.”

Ms Milthorpe said she was open to standing for the seat of Farrer again, though no firm decision had yet been made.

“This campaign might be over, but I’m not going anywhere. I’ll take some time to reflect, but I will always stand up for Farrer. We deserve better, and I’m here to help us get there.”

Digital Editions


  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with…

More News

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…

  • Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    THANK goodness the SFNL senior footy game between Merbein and Red Cliffs was a great, nail-biting 10-point win for the Magpies out at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, as the…

  • Teachers strike pay deal

    Teachers strike pay deal

    VICTORIAN teachers have reached an agreement with the state government that will increase pay to $151,419 by 2029. The latest in-principle agreement was announced on Friday afternoon after two weeks…

  • Golf round-up from across the region

    Golf round-up from across the region

    Coomealla Coomealla Golf Club Coming Events: Wednesday 20/05/26- Stableford. Friday 22/05/26 –9-Hole Medley Stableford. Saturday 23/05/26 – Par. Sunday 24/05/26 –18-hole and 9-hole Medley Stableford. Competition Results Wednesday Men 13/05/26…

  • Fatal turn to car theft

    Fatal turn to car theft

    THREE Mildura teenagers were involved in a fatal vehicle crash near Woosang on Saturday morning. A 14-year-old boy was declared deceased at the scene, while the 18-year-old driver and his…

  • Men’s masterclass in glass

    Men’s masterclass in glass

    DARETON’s Allan Taylor is a very creative man. Amongst painting and photography, he is a skilled glass artist and is bringing his marble, paper weight and bead making equipment and…