Webster blasts ‘counterproductive’ Indigenous voice

MEMBER for Mallee Anne Webster remains firm in her opposition to an Indigenous voice to parliament after referendum wording was announced last week.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese revealed Australians will later this year be asked, “A Proposed Law: to alter the constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander voice. Do you approve this proposed alteration?”

Dr Webster said she would be voting no to the question.

“I, along with others, are yet to see any detail that explains how enshrining a voice in the Constitution will help with the challenging situation facing Indigenous communities across Australia,” she said.

“What we need are practical measures to close the gap, not another bureaucratic representative body.”

When discussing the voice in August last year, Dr Webster said “while every voice is important, one voice should not be prioritised by default”.

She stood by that statement.

“It is important to note that any member or senator has been democratically elected to be a voice for their communities, including the 11 Indigenous senators and members,” Dr Webster said.

“Establishing a body purely to be the voice for one group based on race is counterproductive to that.

“In fact the voice as it stands has not detailed who chooses the representatives and on what basis.

“The fact is Indigenous people are not homogeneous and their needs and perspectives are not identical. That is why many Indigenous people are not supportive of the voice.

“I believe the voice risks dividing us by race, and that is not how I view Australia. The voice risks this to give precedence to one race.”

Dr Webster believed Australians were yet to be given enough information to make an informed decision.

“We are all Australian, recognised under the Constitution. I will be voting no, however I also recognise that this is a referendum that will be decided by the people of Australia,” Dr Webster said.

“I urge people to think about their vote when it comes time to cast it.”

Mr Albanese has asserted there is more than enough detail for the public to make up their mind on the proposal.

The Prime Minister last week said the request for detail, also put forward by Opposition Leader Peter Dutton, was a well-worn tactic.

“We know from the republic playbook that occurred last century that it is nothing more than a tactic, and it lacks genuineness to just continue to say, ‘We don’t have the detail’,” Mr Albanese said.

“No matter how much detail is put out, Peter Dutton will say, ‘What about more detail?’ That’s the game that’s being played here, and he should make a decision of where he stands on the issue.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Arrest following police pursuit

    Arrest following police pursuit

    A MAN has been arrested following a pursuit in Mildura’s main streets on Monday night. Police alleged a man drove a white utility ute to Deakin Avenue about 8.30pm before…

  • Upgrades planned for remote uni campus

    Upgrades planned for remote uni campus

    A CAMPUS of Federation University in a remote corner of New South Wales is about to get an overhaul. Known as Nanya Research Station, the site lies in the far…

  • Cash rolls in while seat still warm

    Cash rolls in while seat still warm

    MONEY has already started flowing in to the race for the Federal seat of Farrer, with the only currently declared candidate set to receive a major donation from a lobby…

  • Fine for outstanding offending

    Fine for outstanding offending

    A MAN who engaged in “red flag behaviour” has pleaded guilty almost three years after the incident that put him before he courts occurred. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard of…

  • RAAF pilots return to skies

    RAAF pilots return to skies

    ANOTHER chapter in the region’s rich history of training the next generation of Royal Australian Air Force pilots is about to be written in local skies. On Tuesday morning the…

  • SHRCC satisfaction survey opens

    SHRCC satisfaction survey opens

    SWAN Hill Rural City Council officers are encouraging residents and ratepayers to have their say as the annual local government community satisfaction survey gets underway. The survey will be conducted…

  • Further scholarship winners coming

    Further scholarship winners coming

    CHANCES for Children is set to announce recipients in the next round of financial support in the coming weeks following the recent confirmation of the program’s tertiary scholarship winners. The…

  • Ready, Setts, go!: landmark building up for sale

    Ready, Setts, go!: landmark building up for sale

    ONE of Mildura’s landmark buildings is up for sale once more, putting a new notch in its long history in the region. The Mildura Settlers Club building boasts a land…

  • Big nomination for young achiever

    Big nomination for young achiever

    A LOCAL school student has been nominated for a Victorian Young Achiever Award for his all round success in sport, arts, and the community. The annual Young Achiever Awards celebrate…

  • Bail refused over alleged assault

    Bail refused over alleged assault

    A MAN who allegedly abused a woman he’d been dating while she was driving, before hitting her with her own vehicle, and continuing to assault and threaten her while driving…