Move now on domestic violence program, says Cr Cyndi Power

MILDURA Council has been urged to implement a program that aims to address the scourge of domestic violence “as soon as possible”.

The council was due to pilot the Baby Makes 3 program targeted to first-time parents in 2019-20, however that stalled and eventually ceased due to “a number of significant challenges” culminating in the COVID-19 pandemic.

The program is designed to support new parents to negotiate their gendered roles and identities in their transition to new parenthood with the ultimate aim of contributing to the prevention of violence against women.

Councillors were told that while Baby Makes 3 had been previously identified as being a potentially valuable program for new Mildura parents, it would result in a direct cost shift from state to local government.

Council community general manager Martin Hawson said the minimum cost estimate to deliver a 12-month program was $65,543 based on a 40 per cent participation rate of all new parents and there would be ongoing pressure to continue to fund the program.

However, Cr Cyndi Power said the program had “outstanding merit” to address domestic violence through primary prevention.

“I am firmly of the view that we should proceed with the proposal as soon as possible,” Cr Power said.

“I do appreciate our budget position and the significant COVID impacts on our budget, but I do not think that our community should wait, particularly given the stress that families are under in these very uncertain COVID times,” she said.

“If we can make an impact on the horror of domestic violence, this proposal will be repaid in spades.”

Cr Jodi Reynolds said that if the program saved one family from the tragedy of domestic violence it would be worthwhile.

“It takes long-term commitment, yes, it takes the concerted efforts of multiple organisations and the families who are involved, but it actually doesn’t take that much money and the return on investment is enormous,” she said.

Cr Reynolds said an evaluation report about the program recommended that it be rolled out in every Victorian local government area.

“The report talks about the requirement of staff, how difficult it is to train staff and they might move on, but this isn’t a drawback of the program,” she said.

“What this means is that Baby Makes 3 is building a local workforce and skilled facilitators with expertise in primary prevention of violence against women, something that we simply do not have here.

“The review concludes that any impact of Baby Makes 3 could lead to a reduction in the lifetime prevalence of violence against women.”

Cr Glenn Milne said the cost of the program would be “a wise expenditure” that would help the community “immensely”, while Cr Helen Healy said it was critical that the council was seen to be a leader in the space of prevention against family violence.

Councillors agreed to consider funding the program as part of its 2021-22 budget deliberations at a special council meeting on June 28.

Digital Editions


  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with…

More News

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…

  • Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    THANK goodness the SFNL senior footy game between Merbein and Red Cliffs was a great, nail-biting 10-point win for the Magpies out at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, as the…

  • Teachers strike pay deal

    Teachers strike pay deal

    VICTORIAN teachers have reached an agreement with the state government that will increase pay to $151,419 by 2029. The latest in-principle agreement was announced on Friday afternoon after two weeks…

  • Golf round-up from across the region

    Golf round-up from across the region

    Coomealla Coomealla Golf Club Coming Events: Wednesday 20/05/26- Stableford. Friday 22/05/26 –9-Hole Medley Stableford. Saturday 23/05/26 – Par. Sunday 24/05/26 –18-hole and 9-hole Medley Stableford. Competition Results Wednesday Men 13/05/26…

  • Fatal turn to car theft

    Fatal turn to car theft

    THREE Mildura teenagers were involved in a fatal vehicle crash near Woosang on Saturday morning. A 14-year-old boy was declared deceased at the scene, while the 18-year-old driver and his…

  • Men’s masterclass in glass

    Men’s masterclass in glass

    DARETON’s Allan Taylor is a very creative man. Amongst painting and photography, he is a skilled glass artist and is bringing his marble, paper weight and bead making equipment and…