Victoria starts lockdown grants stoush with Commonwealth

GRANTS of up to $3500 will be offered to businesses crash-tackled by the latest State Government-imposed lockdown.

Acting Premier James Merlino announced $250 million in grants would be offered to small to medium-sized businesses as the war of words between Victoria and the Commonwealth over funding support escalated on Sunday.

Mr Merlino attacked the Morrison Government’s “unrelenting answer (of) no” to extra support for businesses after the Commonwealth failed to match the state’s funding package.

Victorian Treasurer Tim Pallas turned up the heat even more, saying the Federal Government was “not a tangible partner” and “need to step up” in supporting businesses during lockdowns after JobKeeper finished in late March.

“What we needed … was the Commonwealth to make a comparable offer … and the self-styled party for workers (to) actually provide assistance for workers,” Mr Pallas said.

Member for Mildura Ali Cupper backed the Victorian leaders’ comments, while Member for Mallee Anne Webster said Acting Prime Minister Michael McCormack had made an offer of “ongoing assistance” earlier in the day.

“The Commonwealth has provided $40 billion to Victoria alone over the past year,” Dr Webster said.

“This lockdown was imposed by the State Government and it is the right thing for the State Government to be providing support for small businesses.”

MORE: Anne Webster slams ‘crippling’ lockdown of regional centres

However, Ms Cupper said that “everyone needs to be pitching in” to help businesses in this strict seven-day lockdown.

“You have a state government committing a significant money to help the business community and a federal government that hasn’t,” Ms Cupper said on Sunday.

“What the Victorian Government was saying today was reasonable. The Federal Government presumably understands the value of business for our community, so why are they not pitching in too?

“Our business community has been absolutely hammered by these lockdowns. The Federal Government needs to realise this is the business community they are letting down.”

Victorian Opposition Leader Michael O’Brien accused the Andrews government of lobbing “verbal hand grenades” to deflect responsibility for the lockdown.

“Attacking the Federal Government doesn’t get Victoria reopened. It doesn’t get Victorians back to work. It doesn’t keep the virus under control,” he said.

The three support measures announced by the State Government on Sunday include a $3500 grant for eligible restaurants, cafes and pubs to help cover the cost of things such as perishable foods.

There will also be $2500 grants for event suppliers, accommodation providers and non-essential retailers who have been affected by the lockdown.

An additional $20 million will be dedicated to supporting operators forced to cancel events, such as the Sesame Street Spectacular in Mildura.

Businesses can register their interest in the business costs assistance program at business.vic.gov.au so they can be notified when applications open this week.

The government says operators eligible for the licensed hospitality venue fund payment will be contacted directly by email in the coming days.

Digital Editions


  • Musics best play Regfest

    Musics best play Regfest

    COUNTRY music is big in Sunraysia. And festival organisers Event People Australia, along with the Mildura Rural City Council, are capitalising on this by bringing…

More News

  • Living healthy

    Living healthy

    NEW items are constantly being added to our collection at the library. The following titles, covering a range of subjects, may be of interest to you. Cheese Magic Erika Kubick…

  • We found unity in extreme tragedy

    We found unity in extreme tragedy

    MY name is John Cortese. I was principal of Red Cliffs Secondary College from 1997 to 2008. It is completely understandable that this 20-year anniversary would stir so much emotion.…

  • Road safety is key

    Road safety is key

    Jade Benham Member for Mildura WHILE some may say the last 20 years have flown, for those affected by the Cardross Tragedy, every day has been a painful reminder of…

  • Longest Lunch Launched

    Longest Lunch Launched

    ROTARY Mildura Deakin are excited to announce the return of Mildura’s Longest Lunch on Friday 20 March, commencing at 12:00pm. Event Coordinator Tim Aldridge said the Longest Lunch had become…

  • Irish charm to hit Sunraysia

    Irish charm to hit Sunraysia

    IRELAND: The Voyage, which comes to Mildura Arts Centre on Thursday 26 February, is more than just a song and dance about Irish folklore. It’s a celebration of Ireland’s history…

  • Fencing reviews recommended

    Fencing reviews recommended

    FARMERS affected by the recent bushfires are being encouraged to review their infrastructure layout before re-establishing traditional fencing. For many fire-affected farmers, the rebuilding process provides the opportunity to establish…

  • New growth at grains conference

    New growth at grains conference

    THE next generation of farming practices is set to be on full display at Yarrawonga’s upcoming grains conference. The annual Grains Conference by Victorian Farmers Federation is a two-day event…

  • New manager for private hospital

    New manager for private hospital

    MILDURA Health Private Hospital has a new executive general manager. Sharita Ram, who has extensive clinical, operational, and executive leadership experience with private health and aged care, commenced her role…

  • Hay, check for weeds

    Hay, check for weeds

    DROUGHT and bushfire affected farmers are being encouraged to check their fodder deliveries for aggressive weeds that continue to threaten the State. The top concern is the parthenium weed, Parthenium…

  • Karly comes home for cancer concert

    Karly comes home for cancer concert

    WENTWORTH singer-songwriter, Karly Jewell, is on her way home to play at the 2026 Concert for Cancer Research at the Wentworth Showgrounds on Saturday, 7 March. Jewell, who has released…