Mildura rail link would cost ‘peanuts’, says MP

A PASSENGER train service linking Mildura to Melbourne would cost “peanuts” and would be profitable “almost immediately”, according to the Liberal Democrats Member for Northern Victoria.

Tim Quilty said on Friday a report from the Parliamentary Budget Office revealed a service from Mildura to Maryborough, linking up with Melbourne-bound trains, would cost just $22 million over three years from 2020-21 to 2023-24.

He said that would be a small price to pay compared to billions of dollars for transport expenditure in and around Melbourne announced in this year’s State Budget.

“It’s peanuts — the people of Mildura just want a rail service, and now we know we can deliver it without breaking the budget,” Mr Quilty said.

“The Liberal Democrats don’t often call for more government expenditure, but we support the development of sensible infrastructure.

“A new train service would be a boon to tourism in northern Victoria and give us tremendous bang for our buck.”

Mr Quilty commissioned the report to cost a shuttle service running three times a week from Mildura to Maryborough and connecting with existing Melbourne services.

The costing includes regauging an existing train for the standard gauge line and upgrading shuttered stations at Ouyen, Woomelang, Birchip, Donald and St Arnaud.

“To put this in perspective, the total amount announced this year for fast trains to Geelong was roughly 100 times more,” Mr Quilty said.

“Money allocated to Melbourne trams this year was 70 times more.

“This will be a huge shot in the arm for northern and western Victoria and reintroduce a great train journey.

“We are tired of Labor governments who only seem to govern for Melbourne.

“If they will not support this idea, it will be another reason for Rexit – our plans for a new regional state.”

Mr Quilty said previous costings claiming the project was not viable were not just gold-plated, but apparently solid-gold solutions.

“I am already working with independent Mildura MP Ali Cupper to push this and I plan to build an alliance of northern and western Victorian MPs who will together bring trains back to the Mildura line,” Mr Quilty said.

A government spokesperson said V/Line operated more than 50 coach services a week to or from Mildura, which connected to Ballarat and Bendigo train lines as well as further connections to Albury and Geelong.

“Unlike the Liberal-National government that cut passenger services to regional Victoria, including to Mildura, the Andrews Labor Government has invested in regional passenger services on both coaches and trains — adding more than 740 V/Line services every week across the state,” the spokesperson said.

“We’re focused on delivering the next set of works for the Murray Basin Rail Project in Victoria’s north-west — providing the certainty our farmers and freight operators need, and getting more freight off roads and on to rail.”

The Mildura passenger train service ended in September 1993 under the Kennett Government.

Digital Editions


  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with…

More News

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…

  • Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    THANK goodness the SFNL senior footy game between Merbein and Red Cliffs was a great, nail-biting 10-point win for the Magpies out at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, as the…

  • Teachers strike pay deal

    Teachers strike pay deal

    VICTORIAN teachers have reached an agreement with the state government that will increase pay to $151,419 by 2029. The latest in-principle agreement was announced on Friday afternoon after two weeks…

  • Golf round-up from across the region

    Golf round-up from across the region

    Coomealla Coomealla Golf Club Coming Events: Wednesday 20/05/26- Stableford. Friday 22/05/26 –9-Hole Medley Stableford. Saturday 23/05/26 – Par. Sunday 24/05/26 –18-hole and 9-hole Medley Stableford. Competition Results Wednesday Men 13/05/26…

  • Fatal turn to car theft

    Fatal turn to car theft

    THREE Mildura teenagers were involved in a fatal vehicle crash near Woosang on Saturday morning. A 14-year-old boy was declared deceased at the scene, while the 18-year-old driver and his…

  • Men’s masterclass in glass

    Men’s masterclass in glass

    DARETON’s Allan Taylor is a very creative man. Amongst painting and photography, he is a skilled glass artist and is bringing his marble, paper weight and bead making equipment and…