Victorian Opposition calls for regional tourism fund

THE Victorian Opposition is calling for a dedicated $200 million Regional Tourism Fund to be immediately established by the State Government to support country communities and bring visitors back to regional Victoria.

The call is part of a plan, expected to be announced on Wednesday morning, to get Victorians back to work and back in business.

Victorian Nationals leader and Member for Murray Plains Peter Walsh said travel bans put in place to stop the spread of COVID-19 meant visitation to country Victoria was smashed overnight.

Mildura has been particularly hard hit given its peak Easter period was shutdown due to the state’s lockdown.

The Opposition said regional communities had been hit hard by drought, bushfire and now the coronavirus pandemic.

“If we do not take bold steps now to restore Victoria’s tourism sector, our regional tourism businesses – which employ an estimated 86,000 Victorians – will never recover,” Mr Walsh said.

With an aim to return the tourism sector to June 2019 bed night accommodation levels by June 2021, the Opposition said the Regional Tourism Fund should provide targeted support to tourism in different regions to: assist operators to get back on their feet, promote Victorian tourism destinations and upgrade tourism related infrastructure.

“Last year the Andrews Government spent more than $100 million on self-promotional advertising,

such as its multi-million dollar ‘Big Build’ campaign,” Mr Walsh said.

“All Andrews Government self-promotional advertising must be immediately scrapped and redirected into promoting regional Victorian tourism.

Opposition leader Michael O’Brien said with restrictions being eased, now was the time to take bold action to restore confidence and jobs to our regional economies.

Mr Walsh agreed. “Tens-of-thousands of regional Victorians who rely on their jobs in the tourism sector to pay the bills and put food on the table are counting on the Andrews Government to get them back to work and back in business,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • MFNL women down to four after Roo exit

    MFNL women down to four after Roo exit

    THE Millewa Football Netball League women’s competition will continue this season despite the withdrawal of the Meringur team due to a lack of numbers. One…

More News

  • Roos to rule in Red Cliffs

    Roos to rule in Red Cliffs

    WENTWORTH A Grade netball team is placed third on the Sunraysia Football Netball League ladder for a reason. They have lost one game against ladder leaders, Mildura, by one goal,…

  • Demons to tame doggies at the Precinct

    Demons to tame doggies at the Precinct

    THE South Mildura A Grade netballers face a tough task in quenching the Demons’ fire at the Mildura Sporting Precinct on Saturday. Mildura had a seven-goal win against Ouyen United…

  • Recycling facility opens at Buronga

    Recycling facility opens at Buronga

    RECYCLABLE and reusable items can now be dropped off before the weighbridge at Buronga Landfill, allowing residents to reduce their waste disposal fees. The Wentworth Shire Council announced that the…

  • Volunteers spread musical cheer

    Volunteers spread musical cheer

    NATIONAL Volunteer Week runs until Sunday, 24 May, with the theme ’Your Year to Volunteer’, aiming to highlight contributions of people already helping in the community, and encourage new volunteers…

  • Catholic schools’ mass congregation

    Catholic schools’ mass congregation

    STUDENTS from six Mildura catholic schools recently gathered at St Joseph’s College stadium in the region’s annual Catholic Education Week mass. The annual mass has been running for more than…

  • Painters, pop stars and pirouettes at MAC

    Painters, pop stars and pirouettes at MAC

    PARENTS and friends didn’t have to wait until the Mildura Ballet and Dance Guild’s end-of-year performance to see their children pirouette, tap, jazz, and arabesque their way across the stage.…

  • Referee course at home

    Referee course at home

    A NEW course has opened up for Mildura football enthusiasts following the growing demand for local referees in regional areas. Football Victoria is encouraging anyone 13 and older to join…

  • Wenty welcomes RSL hub

    Wenty welcomes RSL hub

    WENTWORTH RSL Sub-branch has finally claimed a new home for the first time in its more than 100 year history. The RSL sub-branch has been supporting local defence force members…

  • Young volunteers vital to regional communities

    Young volunteers vital to regional communities

    FOR Scarlett Elliott of Red Cliffs, volunteering began with a simple desire to connect with people and be part of something bigger than herself. Now the 26-year-old works across local…

  • Bond for slow driver

    Bond for slow driver

    A DRIVER who failed to stop at police direction after being observed driving 20km/h in an 60km/h zone has had her licence disqualified for 12 months. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court…