Boy bailed over home invasions

“HIGHLY-organised” youths as young as 10 years of age have been targeting weak and vulnerable people during a series of home invasions across Mildura, a Children’s Court has been told.

Police allege a group of up to five young boys armed themselves with knives while ransacking houses in search of money while victims – including an 85-year-old woman – slept.

The court heard the boys filmed themselves driving around in a vehicle stolen during one of the aggravated burglaries and laughing, bragging and celebrating among themselves after one home invasion netted them an elderly woman’s phone, purse, money jar and a pair of underwear.

A 14-year-old boy appeared in a Children’s Court with a police prosecutor describing the offending as “out of control”, while as many as four other youths, who wore balaclavas and used torches to navigate themselves in the dark of night, remain on the loose.

The court was told the teenager and two co-accused broke into a Tenth Street address last month while a man and his wife were asleep and stole the keys to a Toyota Yaris which they drove “all over” Mildura to Buronga and Dareton while filming themselves in the car.

A police prosecutor said the 14-year-old told police that during the home invasions one of the group would keep watch on the street while others entered properties including while armed with a knife and folding tree saw.

The court heard the teenager and co-accused attempted to enter houses in Tarrango Drive late at night before gaining access to an Explorer Drive address looking for a safe.

An 85-year-old woman noticed torch lights in the rear yard and when she went to investigate she came across a person in her loungeroom also holding a torch.

Believing the person may have been her next door neighbour, the woman called out the neighbour’s name prompting the youths to flee.

CCTV footage obtained by police showed four or five people running off and later standing in the middle of the road, while the group returned to nearby Tarrango Drive where they were caught on closed circuit television removing security cameras.

Police opposed an application for the 14-year-old to be released on bail saying his parents had no control over him and the safety of the community was paramount.

The prosecutor said the youth faced “incredibly serious charges” with vulnerable members of the community targeted at night and into the early hours of the morning.

The court was told the alleged offences had been troubling within the community and the risk of the accused committing further offences if released on bail was “completely unacceptable”.

However, a magistrate said conditions of bail could reduce the risk of reoffending to an acceptable level “but time will tell”, noting the youth was “in serious trouble”.

The teenager was released on bail on conditions including that he abide by curfew, not use drugs, not associate with co-accused and abide by the directions of Youth Justice.

Digital Editions


  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with…

More News

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…

  • Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    THANK goodness the SFNL senior footy game between Merbein and Red Cliffs was a great, nail-biting 10-point win for the Magpies out at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, as the…

  • Teachers strike pay deal

    Teachers strike pay deal

    VICTORIAN teachers have reached an agreement with the state government that will increase pay to $151,419 by 2029. The latest in-principle agreement was announced on Friday afternoon after two weeks…

  • Golf round-up from across the region

    Golf round-up from across the region

    Coomealla Coomealla Golf Club Coming Events: Wednesday 20/05/26- Stableford. Friday 22/05/26 –9-Hole Medley Stableford. Saturday 23/05/26 – Par. Sunday 24/05/26 –18-hole and 9-hole Medley Stableford. Competition Results Wednesday Men 13/05/26…

  • Fatal turn to car theft

    Fatal turn to car theft

    THREE Mildura teenagers were involved in a fatal vehicle crash near Woosang on Saturday morning. A 14-year-old boy was declared deceased at the scene, while the 18-year-old driver and his…

  • Men’s masterclass in glass

    Men’s masterclass in glass

    DARETON’s Allan Taylor is a very creative man. Amongst painting and photography, he is a skilled glass artist and is bringing his marble, paper weight and bead making equipment and…