Dust storm

Originally published May 8, 2019

MILDURA was plunged into darkness within minutes after a massive dust storm came through the region.

Thick red dust and strong northerly wind gusts forced their way into town about 5pm triggering smoke alarms and grounding all aircraft.

The Bureau of Meteorology said the freak storm and extent of the reduced visibility was not on the “radar” for Mildura.

Northerly wind gusts of 63 kilometres an hour were recorded which created the blanket of red dust.

The “bizarre” weather conditions were also attributed to the region’s lack of rainfall over the summer and autumn period.

The unexpected storm also set off fire alarms across the city, with the Country Fire Authority called out to more than 15 businesses.

Aviation was impacted by the dust storm where airport staff and travellers were evacuated from the terminal and planes were forced to turn around due to the severity of the dust.

Airlines cancelled all incoming and outgoing flights as a result of the storm until receiving the all clear from air traffic control later in the that evening.

The massive cloud of dust triggered debate whether the 2019 “apocalyptic” event was the mother of all dust storms to hit Mildura.

Video and still images of the “dust tsunami” went viral almost as soon as the storm hit including on the BBC News and Irish Times websites.

The storm created havoc on the region’s roads and left a thick layer of dust across the region.

The rolling wave of topsoil drew comparisons to the image captured by Sunraysia Daily photographer Don Turvey on January 24, 1968, when he scaled the former STV8 tower to record the phenomenon.

The resultant image was a combination of three photographs Mr Turvey took while perched at the top of the Deakin Avenue tower as the mountain of dirt rolled toward him.

That storm brought the city to a standstill as it plunged the region into “near blackness” and has long been regarded as the one that has topped them all.

It was believed to have originated in central Australia, was an estimated 100 kilometres wide and reached as far afield as New Zealand.

Mr Turvey, who died in July 2012, said the 1968 event was “no ordinary dust storm”.

He had decided some time before the storm that if there was ever going to be a “big one” the STV8 tower next door to Sunraysia Daily would be the premium spot for a photograph.

As the 1968 storm approached from the south west, a young apprentice followed Mr Turvey to the top of the STV8 tower, but quickly realised he wouldn’t be able to get the full brunt of the storm in one frame.

He managed to get in four shots before he and his rookie hung on for dear life for about 30 minutes until the storm passed and it was safe enough to climb down.

Three of the photographs made up the final version of his storm image, Mr Turvey later stating that after 25 years taking photographs for Sunraysia Daily, “the big one” ranked No.1 for all its challenges.

Digital Editions


  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with…

More News

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…

  • Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    THANK goodness the SFNL senior footy game between Merbein and Red Cliffs was a great, nail-biting 10-point win for the Magpies out at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, as the…

  • Teachers strike pay deal

    Teachers strike pay deal

    VICTORIAN teachers have reached an agreement with the state government that will increase pay to $151,419 by 2029. The latest in-principle agreement was announced on Friday afternoon after two weeks…

  • Golf round-up from across the region

    Golf round-up from across the region

    Coomealla Coomealla Golf Club Coming Events: Wednesday 20/05/26- Stableford. Friday 22/05/26 –9-Hole Medley Stableford. Saturday 23/05/26 – Par. Sunday 24/05/26 –18-hole and 9-hole Medley Stableford. Competition Results Wednesday Men 13/05/26…

  • Fatal turn to car theft

    Fatal turn to car theft

    THREE Mildura teenagers were involved in a fatal vehicle crash near Woosang on Saturday morning. A 14-year-old boy was declared deceased at the scene, while the 18-year-old driver and his…

  • Men’s masterclass in glass

    Men’s masterclass in glass

    DARETON’s Allan Taylor is a very creative man. Amongst painting and photography, he is a skilled glass artist and is bringing his marble, paper weight and bead making equipment and…