State claims $5 million saving as coaches replace The Vinelander

Originally published September 14, 1993

Luxury road coaches have replaced The Vinelander train between Melbourne and Mildura in a new package of services which the State Government claims will save Victorian taxpayers $5 million a year.

The Public Transport Minister, Mr Alan Brown, said yesterday the last Vinelander train left Mildura on Sunday night and the new package of coach and train/coach services would take over along the corridor from yesterday.

A press release issued by the Minister yesterday claimed the package would erase $5 million – a reference pointed towards a $5.4 million annual loss the Government claims The Vinelander passenger train service amassed.

“The new luxury road coaches operating the overnight service are equipped with a mobile phone, have wheelchair access and kneeling devices to make it easier for elderly and disabled travellers to board or alight and have a toilet facility”, the press release announced.

“These coaches also have extra spacing between seats and will operate both Mildura and Melbourne from Sunday to Friday nights.

“Patronage on The Vinelander has declined in recent years and the train was costing Victorian taxpayers a subsidy of $84 for every passenger carried.”

Mr Brown said Mildura residents now had a choice of 38 services a week, compared with 26 previously provided.

“A new train/coach service between Mildura and Melbourne via Swan Hill will provide travellers with a whole new range of travel options.

“From Mondays to Thursdays this service will give Mildura residents, for the first time, day return journeys to Melbourne.”

“On Friday and Sunday a twilight Sunraysia Link service will offer the fastest surface journey of around seven hours between Melbourne and Mildura.”

“Sunraysia Link coaches will also have wheelchair access while trains between Swan Hill and Melbourne have on-board catering facilities.”

Mr Brown said the popular Sunlink train coach service via Bendigo will continue in both directions, seven days a week.

“This new package of services between Melbourne and Mildura provides a much wider choice of travel options, reduced journey times, continued access to Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo and Swan Hill while at the same time saving Victorian tax-payers $5 million a year,” added Mr Brown.

More on this topic..

Digital Editions


  • Longest Lunch Launched

    Longest Lunch Launched

    ROTARY Mildura Deakin are excited to announce the return of Mildura’s Longest Lunch on Friday 20 March, commencing at 12:00pm. Event Coordinator Tim Aldridge said…

More News

  • New manager for private hospital

    New manager for private hospital

    MILDURA Health Private Hospital has a new executive general manager. Sharita Ram, who has extensive clinical, operational, and executive leadership experience with private health and aged care, commenced her role…

  • Hay, check for weeds

    Hay, check for weeds

    DROUGHT and bushfire affected farmers are being encouraged to check their fodder deliveries for aggressive weeds that continue to threaten the State. The top concern is the parthenium weed, Parthenium…

  • Karly comes home for cancer concert

    Karly comes home for cancer concert

    WENTWORTH singer-songwriter, Karly Jewell, is on her way home to play at the 2026 Concert for Cancer Research at the Wentworth Showgrounds on Saturday, 7 March. Jewell, who has released…

  • Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    WEDNESDAY 18 February was the 20 year anniversary of the Cardross Tragedy, an event that left an indelible mark on a small community and Sunraysia at large. The events of…

  • Fine for hindering police

    Fine for hindering police

    A MAN has been fined $750 for refusing to give his name and address to police after being pulled over. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 30-year-old John Lanumata was driving…

  • Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    CONTINUAL cost-shifting onto municipalities is unsustainable and should sit with the responsible body, according to Local Government NSW. During the week the New South Wales State Government announced proposals for…

  • Young Carter gets a lift

    Young Carter gets a lift

    TEN-year-old Carter Hodges and his family no longer have to take two cars if they want to all travel together. Carter was born with cerebral palsy and has a global…

  • Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    A YOUNG woman has pleaded guilty to trafficking drugs of dependence. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 23-year-old Rory Evans had been in a relationship with a 28-year-old co-accused when police…

  • Airfares inquiry visits Mildura

    Airfares inquiry visits Mildura

    AUSTRALIA’S Productivity Commission calling on the Mildura community to discuss the effects of airfares in organisation’s first regional drop-in event. The Productivity Commission opened its national inquiry in December last…

  • Two months jail for DV pest

    Two months jail for DV pest

    A MAN who was given “one more chance” last year and bailed after facing court for falsely imprisoning a female while on bail, as well as repeated breaches of intervention…