FMIT merged with Lower Murray Water

Originally published August 20, 2008

THE First Mildura Irrigation Trust bitterly accepted its fate, backing down from an unwinnable legal battle with the Victorian Government.

Victoria’s oldest and last grower-elected irrigation authority was formally wound up and merged with rival Lower Murray Water at a minute past midnight, ending its 112 years of existence.

On advice of the trust’s legal counsel, chairman Jim Belbin and deputy chairman Frank Dimasi decided to withdraw their planned Victorian Supreme Court injunction against Water Minister Tim Holding to prevent the merger.

“It’s a terrible day,” Mr Belbin told Sunraysia Daily.

Mr Belbin said the injunction application had been withdrawn after Mr Holding undertook to consider all documents presented to him by FMIT, and all other relevant matters, including the independent analysis of the trust’s finances by accounting firm WHK Horvath.

The trust commissioned the Horvath review to counter what it claimed to be many inaccuracies in the earlier Deloitte analysis, commissioned by the Department of Sustainability and Environment.

“Our legal counsel told us that once the minister had undertaken to consider all documents submitted to him by FMIT, there was no prospect of us getting an injunction to restrain him from proceeding with his determination.

“Basically he accepted settlement by consent.

“But I believe we won a moral victory, because the threat of the injunction forced Mr Holding to make a statement to the court, saying he would grant us due consideration.

“Mr Holding’s undertaking not to go after us for court costs is, in my view, a tacit admission that we had a legitimate claim for procedural fairness.

“The fact that he was forced to make that statement before the court is pretty challenging for him, but that’s putting the best face on what ultimately is a terrible and tragic result.

“In reality, it’s pretty hollow.”

Mr Holding defended his decision to merge FMIT with Lower Murray Water, denying it violated a government promise not to force such a takeover.

Mr Holding said FMIT was being taken over because it faced an uncertain financial future and because its board had lost $2 million in an unlawful investment in the US sub-prime mortgage market.

In the state government’s 2003 white paper on water, then-premier Steve Bracks and former water minister John Thwaites gave an assurance there would be no forced takeover of FMIT — and that both boards would have to approve any merger.

But Mr Holding said that decision could not stand in light of the trust’s current financial position.

In November 2012, the Lower Murray Urban and Rural Water Corporation was ordered to pay almost $300,000 in damages to four former First Mildura Irrigation Trust board members it defamed by the publication of a letter by the then Water Minister Tim Holding.

In a judgment handed down in the Supreme Court, Justice Stephen Kaye also ordered LMW to cover legal costs incurred by the plaintiffs.

Three of the former board members — Jim Belbin, Frank Dimasi and Don Marciano — were each awarded $70,000 in damages, while Nancy Prevedello was awarded $85,000.

The claim related to a letter by Mr Holding and published on the LMW website in 2008 and republished two years later.

The letter, which was sent to all LMW irrigators including former FMIT irrigators, was published soon after Mr Holding sacked the FMIT board and merged the trust with LMW in September 2008.

Digital Editions


  • Longest Lunch Launched

    Longest Lunch Launched

    ROTARY Mildura Deakin are excited to announce the return of Mildura’s Longest Lunch on Friday 20 March, commencing at 12:00pm. Event Coordinator Tim Aldridge said…

More News

  • New manager for private hospital

    New manager for private hospital

    MILDURA Health Private Hospital has a new executive general manager. Sharita Ram, who has extensive clinical, operational, and executive leadership experience with private health and aged care, commenced her role…

  • Hay, check for weeds

    Hay, check for weeds

    DROUGHT and bushfire affected farmers are being encouraged to check their fodder deliveries for aggressive weeds that continue to threaten the State. The top concern is the parthenium weed, Parthenium…

  • Karly comes home for cancer concert

    Karly comes home for cancer concert

    WENTWORTH singer-songwriter, Karly Jewell, is on her way home to play at the 2026 Concert for Cancer Research at the Wentworth Showgrounds on Saturday, 7 March. Jewell, who has released…

  • Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    WEDNESDAY 18 February was the 20 year anniversary of the Cardross Tragedy, an event that left an indelible mark on a small community and Sunraysia at large. The events of…

  • Fine for hindering police

    Fine for hindering police

    A MAN has been fined $750 for refusing to give his name and address to police after being pulled over. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 30-year-old John Lanumata was driving…

  • Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    CONTINUAL cost-shifting onto municipalities is unsustainable and should sit with the responsible body, according to Local Government NSW. During the week the New South Wales State Government announced proposals for…

  • Young Carter gets a lift

    Young Carter gets a lift

    TEN-year-old Carter Hodges and his family no longer have to take two cars if they want to all travel together. Carter was born with cerebral palsy and has a global…

  • Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    A YOUNG woman has pleaded guilty to trafficking drugs of dependence. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 23-year-old Rory Evans had been in a relationship with a 28-year-old co-accused when police…

  • Airfares inquiry visits Mildura

    Airfares inquiry visits Mildura

    AUSTRALIA’S Productivity Commission calling on the Mildura community to discuss the effects of airfares in organisation’s first regional drop-in event. The Productivity Commission opened its national inquiry in December last…

  • Two months jail for DV pest

    Two months jail for DV pest

    A MAN who was given “one more chance” last year and bailed after facing court for falsely imprisoning a female while on bail, as well as repeated breaches of intervention…