Rates decision tough now, and going forward

MILDURA’S councillors had their eyes open when they rejected the maximum 3.5 per cent rate increase for ratepayers on Thursday night.

They had been briefed on the ramifications of such a decision, albeit only the day before for some, and what it could mean to council’s bottom line. But they took the unprecedented step regardless.

Was it brave? Reckless? Damaging? Populist?

On a night of robust debate inside council chambers, Cr Mark Eckel moved an alternate motion to approve a 3 per cent increase, citing the best interests of the community including the impact of COVID-19, floods and the inequity between city and country rate revenues.

He was backed comprehensively with council voting through the change 6-2.

READ MORE: WHY COUNCIL MADE IT’S CALL, THE CASES MADE BY COUNCILLORSOPINION: THE WRONG TIME TO MAKE A STAND 

I sat with Council chief executive Martin Hawson and Mildura Mayor Liam Wood yesterday to gauge their respective reactions to the decision. And, importantly, what it would mean for the community.

In raw numbers, the decision by councillors to save ratepayers an extra 0.5 per cent rise has stripped more than $350,000 in revenue from council’s 2023-24 budget.

As Mr Hawson explained, that sets the trajectory for future budgets, and decisions that council will make down the track.

For instance, the 2023-24 budget was heading for a $258,000 surplus with a 3.5 per cent rise, with a forward projection for the following year of an $885,000 deficit.

But with just a 3 per cent rise, council is now facing an $88,000 deficit for the 2023-24 budget, and a deficit of more than $1.2 million the following year, which is getting into uncomfortable economic territory.

Mr Hawson explained that they were already prepared for both scenarios, and an amended budget should be completed in the coming weeks.

The next budget, well, that will now require some serious thinking, starting now.

The mayor said the decision to cut the 0.5 per cent was not taken lightly by himself, or his fellow councillors.

“We understood that everyone is going through a bit of a tough time, so do you save the household a little bit and cop a bit in council, or do you push ahead with the full increase?” Cr Wood said.

“So it has been a really tough time in how we were going to handle this and, from my point of view, I could have gone either way.

“But it reinforces how much we need to advocate and aggressively lobby state and federal governments for more funding.”

The Victorian Government set a maximum 3.5 per cent increase in rate increases for the 2023-24 financial year for all councils.

Cr Wood hoped that the state government looked at council’s decision, understood the reasons for it, with all the region’s social indicators, and treated it with compassion when it came to assistant grants and funding.

So was it a populist decision by councillors one year out from an election?

“No,” Cr Wood replied. “And if you listened to the debate, when people were for it they sounded like they were arguing against it, and those who were against it sounded like they were arguing for it, because the pros and cons were being weighed up basically on the spot.

“It was coming down to the last minute and everyone had a little battle within themselves to make a decision, and both sides acknowledged both sides.”

I asked Mr Hawson what was his gut reaction to the decision to strip so much revenue out of council’s coffers?

Was it disappointment, frustration or apathy to the community?

“I felt it sets the direction for what we need to do,” he said. “It is pretty much a pragmatic approach to it because once you have been in local government for a fair while you realise that some things go in a certain direction, whether they are right or wrong time will tell. But we now need to make certain decisions and that’s how I look at it, but disappointment? No.

“When I listened to the council and the debate, it was probably an indicator of how well we were able to communicate and give them knowledge around the situation. And I would have to say from the debate I was positive about that because councillors were very mindful of the decision they were making and the consequences of those decisions, both positive and negative.

“For councillors, it sets a trajectory for the decisions they are going to have to make for the next 12 months.”

Cr Wood agreed.

“It wasn’t an easy decision and I guarantee it hasn’t made any decisions going forward any easier.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    A YOUNG woman has pleaded guilty to trafficking drugs of dependence. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 23-year-old Rory Evans had been in a relationship with a 28-year-old co-accused when police…

  • Airfares inquiry visits Mildura

    Airfares inquiry visits Mildura

    AUSTRALIA’S Productivity Commission calling on the Mildura community to discuss the effects of airfares in organisation’s first regional drop-in event. The Productivity Commission opened its national inquiry in December last…

  • Two months jail for DV pest

    Two months jail for DV pest

    A MAN who was given “one more chance” last year and bailed after facing court for falsely imprisoning a female while on bail, as well as repeated breaches of intervention…

  • Wenty council to fund Ruby repairs

    Wenty council to fund Ruby repairs

    WENTWORTH Shire councillors have agreed to provide a historic paddle steamer with $50,000 maintenance budget to spare the vessel from degradation. In the most recent ordinary meeting, Wentworth Shire Council…

  • Icon artist awarded

    Icon artist awarded

    An Iconic local sign painter and motorcycle enthusiast has received the region’s top artist award. Terry “Moose” McGowan is renowned in the region for designing and painting some of the…

  • New movie nights features most loved films

    New movie nights features most loved films

    MILDURA’S movie lovers will have the chance to experience iconic films as they were meant to be seen in the Wallis Cinema’s latest cinema appreciation. A new Loved on Letterboxd…

  • Ribbon cut on new kinder

    Ribbon cut on new kinder

    HENDERSON College officially unveiled it’s new Early Learning Centre on Wednesday, with the aim of offering long day care and an integrated kindergarten program for children aged three to five…

  • What’s on this weekend?

    What’s on this weekend?

    FRIDAY Vista Views Mildura Arts Centre FROM its iconic exterior to the intricate details within, discover how artists have captured the spirit, history and charm of the Rio Vista Historic…

  • Good behaviour bod for repeated breaches

    Good behaviour bod for repeated breaches

    A MAN has pleaded guilty to multiple breaches of a full no-contact intervention order after he made 79 calls to the protected person in less than two months. The Mildura…

  • Pressure grows for water inquiry

    Pressure grows for water inquiry

    THE New South Wales Government has backed calls by an independent member of State Parliament for a royal commission into water management. Member for Murray, Helen Dalton, called on the…