Waiting for basketball bubble to burst

SOCIAL outlets are rare when you’ve got three little kids.

But this year has hammered home just how much we value connectivity with those outside our immediate families, or, in 2020 speak, our “bubbles”.

My escape has always been sport, and given my footy days are long gone, in recent times it’s been a midweek game of basketball.

Most of our team are on the other side of 40, so the focus is very much on the “social” side of sport, and it’s frustrating to be denied our weekly runaround.

But, for old has-beens like us, what is far worse is knowing that local kids are still being banned from the court.

One of my teammates is Mildura Basketball Association (MBA) president Leigh Anderson, who is beyond frustrated at what Premier Daniel Andrews is doing to the sport.

He had hoped to see the State Government change restrictions on indoor sport last Sunday to allow juniors to return, but instead they remain in limbo.

And with time running out, it is now likely that the MBA will have to put a line through the rest of 2020.

The MBA is sweating on Andrews’ announcement tomorrow, when further restrictions are set to be eased across the state. If Andrews doesn’t deliver, it could be that the summer season, which is the big one for the MBA, can’t begin until February.

“From an association point of view, this has the chance of decimating basketball in this region,” Leigh said.

“We fail to see – or it certainly hasn’t been explained — what the practical difference between indoor and outdoor sports is, given that stadiums have eight to 10 metre-high roofs.”

Leigh said when restrictions were eased earlier this year Basketball Victoria did a “power of work” to meet the health guidelines.

The MBA had met all the restrictions and the COVID-safe guidelines and was ready to go.

There was to be a limit of 50 people for each court, with 20 minutes between games to clear the courts and ensure all contact areas were wiped down.

The MBA spent thousands of dollars on appropriate signs, sanitising equipment and COVID-19 safety officer training for staff.

Other states have returned to sport following similar guidelines to what Basketball Victoria has implemented.

But sadly this is the state we are in under Andrews in Victoria.

All through this year, local sporting associations have been willing to sacrifice senior sport to ensure juniors could play.

But despite no coronavirus cases in regions such as Mildura since April, the government has refused to play ball.

Fortunately, some sports have now been given the green light to return.

But others – like basketball – remain sidelined indefinitely, depending on the Premier’s shifting goal posts.

Let’s hope tomorrow that commonsense prevails and our kids are allowed to play again.

Digital Editions


  • Fencing reviews recommended

    Fencing reviews recommended

    FARMERS affected by the recent bushfires are being encouraged to review their infrastructure layout before re-establishing traditional fencing. For many fire-affected farmers, the rebuilding process…

More News

  • Karly comes home for cancer concert

    Karly comes home for cancer concert

    WENTWORTH singer-songwriter, Karly Jewell, is on her way home to play at the 2026 Concert for Cancer Research at the Wentworth Showgrounds on Saturday, 7 March. Jewell, who has released…

  • Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    WEDNESDAY 18 February was the 20 year anniversary of the Cardross Tragedy, an event that left an indelible mark on a small community and Sunraysia at large. The events of…

  • Fine for hindering police

    Fine for hindering police

    A MAN has been fined $750 for refusing to give his name and address to police after being pulled over. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 30-year-old John Lanumata was driving…

  • Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    CONTINUAL cost-shifting onto municipalities is unsustainable and should sit with the responsible body, according to Local Government NSW. During the week the New South Wales State Government announced proposals for…

  • Young Carter gets a lift

    Young Carter gets a lift

    TEN-year-old Carter Hodges and his family no longer have to take two cars if they want to all travel together. Carter was born with cerebral palsy and has a global…

  • Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    A YOUNG woman has pleaded guilty to trafficking drugs of dependence. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 23-year-old Rory Evans had been in a relationship with a 28-year-old co-accused when police…

  • Airfares inquiry visits Mildura

    Airfares inquiry visits Mildura

    AUSTRALIA’S Productivity Commission calling on the Mildura community to discuss the effects of airfares in organisation’s first regional drop-in event. The Productivity Commission opened its national inquiry in December last…

  • Two months jail for DV pest

    Two months jail for DV pest

    A MAN who was given “one more chance” last year and bailed after facing court for falsely imprisoning a female while on bail, as well as repeated breaches of intervention…

  • Wenty council to fund Ruby repairs

    Wenty council to fund Ruby repairs

    WENTWORTH Shire councillors have agreed to provide a historic paddle steamer with $50,000 maintenance budget to spare the vessel from degradation. In the most recent ordinary meeting, Wentworth Shire Council…

  • Icon artist awarded

    Icon artist awarded

    An Iconic local sign painter and motorcycle enthusiast has received the region’s top artist award. Terry “Moose” McGowan is renowned in the region for designing and painting some of the…