SCA not bowled over by precinct plan

THE boss of Sunraysia cricket has thrown shade at Mildura Council over the absence of permanent undercover seating around the main oval at the city’s new $44 million sporting precinct.

Mick Thomson said none of Sunraysia Cricket Association’s (SCA) clubs had yet to ink a deal to play out of the new Mildura South venue – which is on the cusp of opening – as it plays a “waiting game”.

“We’re just sitting back to see what happens with it,” the SCA president said this week.

“From what we know, there have been (SCA) clubs that have approached the council about relocating out there. But there has been no commitment yet.”

He said one of the biggest concerns for local cricket was no grandstand and spectator-friendly outdoor facilities ahead of play starting at the ground in the 2022-23 season.

“I can’t see any club rushing out there without any shade or undercover seating for supporters,” he said.

“It’ll be hard enough for football during winter. But with the extreme temperatures here in summer, no-one will want to go out there.”

There is also no plan yet for a scoreboard at the main oval.

Mr Thomson’s comments come after the South Mildura Sporting Club expressed similar concerns last month about the outdoor seating issue, as well as no provision for car parking around the ground.

The council’s top brass met with Bulldogs president Kevin Burke just days after Sunraysia Daily broke the story of his club’s frustrations of “not being listened to” in the planning process.

After the meeting, Mayor Jason Modica said the council’s project team had considered every issue raised by sporting groups during development of the facility.

“We are now shaping the final details of what is possible with stage 2 and how this will address those key concerns,” he said in a statement.

“It was clear very early on, given the ($34 million) funding available, that stage 1 would focus on ensuring the core elements of the precinct were completed – the indoor stadium the numerous user groups will call home, and the premier oval.

“With planning for stage 2 well under way, we are now looking at the other components of the precinct.

“This is something we’ll continue doing with all user groups as we embark on the next stage of this exciting venue.”

Mr Thomson said he was also concerned about the absence of another basic element for cricket.

“There are no storage areas there yet for the curator’s equipment,” he said.

“There’s still a lot of work to be done before one of our clubs moves out there.

“I think that probably, like every other club or sporting organisation, value for money out there leaves a lot to be desired.”

Digital Editions


  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with…

More News

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…

  • Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    THANK goodness the SFNL senior footy game between Merbein and Red Cliffs was a great, nail-biting 10-point win for the Magpies out at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, as the…

  • Teachers strike pay deal

    Teachers strike pay deal

    VICTORIAN teachers have reached an agreement with the state government that will increase pay to $151,419 by 2029. The latest in-principle agreement was announced on Friday afternoon after two weeks…

  • Golf round-up from across the region

    Golf round-up from across the region

    Coomealla Coomealla Golf Club Coming Events: Wednesday 20/05/26- Stableford. Friday 22/05/26 –9-Hole Medley Stableford. Saturday 23/05/26 – Par. Sunday 24/05/26 –18-hole and 9-hole Medley Stableford. Competition Results Wednesday Men 13/05/26…

  • Fatal turn to car theft

    Fatal turn to car theft

    THREE Mildura teenagers were involved in a fatal vehicle crash near Woosang on Saturday morning. A 14-year-old boy was declared deceased at the scene, while the 18-year-old driver and his…

  • Men’s masterclass in glass

    Men’s masterclass in glass

    DARETON’s Allan Taylor is a very creative man. Amongst painting and photography, he is a skilled glass artist and is bringing his marble, paper weight and bead making equipment and…