Wyld optimistic about coming Sunraysia Cricket Association season

MILDURA Settlers all-rounder Richie Wyld is confident the 2020-21 Sunraysia Cricket Association (SCA) season will go ahead.

New South Wales border restrictions have continued to cast doubt over this season’s competition with two clubs, Coomealla Wentworth and Workers Gol Gol, based in NSW.

But with the coronavirus numbers continuing to drop and the easing of restrictions in regional Victoria, Wyld is confident of an October start.

“I know the SCA board has been doing a lot of work and talking to lots of people about the situation and hopefully we get some good news soon,” Wyld said.

“It’s my understanding – if the the border restrictions remain in place we won’t play, but things are looking a lot more positive.”

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews announced this week regional Victoria would move to the third step of the Victorian Government’s coronavirus roadmap.

This means outdoor contact and non-contact sport will be permitted for regional Victorians aged 18 and under, as well as outdoor non-contact sport for adults. 

Cricket Victoria (CV) is continuing to liaise with the Victorian Government, the DHHS and other agencies to finalise return-to-training and play protocols to support the move to the third step.

CV has recommended to clubs and associations in regional areas consider a start date of October 17, which would allow time for COVID-safe plans to be in place, grounds to be prepared and teams to complete a shortened program of pre-season training.

The four-week period would also allow clubs and associations to liaise with local councils, prepare their facilities and provide relevant education to players, coaches and volunteers.

Wyld said it was important all clubs and players embraced the new rules and, while they provided some challenges, they were a small price to pay if it meant getting the season started.

“We know we are all going to have make changes, but if that is what we have to do to get a game of a cricket, then it is a small price to play,” Wyld said.

“Everyone needs to do their bit. It’s not ideal, but the alternative is worse.

“It’s just one of those things and we have all had to make sacrifices and changes to the way we do things and this is just another change we will have to make.”

Wyld said he doesn’t believe the new protocols will deter players from lining up this season.

“I’ve been talking to blokes who play footy, but have said to me they wouldn’t mind a game of cricket,” Wyld said.

“They are just looking to get out and do something competitive again.”

The SCA has already confirmed it will not fixture two-day matches, opting for a combination of T20 and one-day games.

Wyld said he supported the decision to change the format, but hoped once the pandemic is over the SCA would reintroduce the two day format.
 

Digital Editions


  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with…

More News

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…

  • Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    THANK goodness the SFNL senior footy game between Merbein and Red Cliffs was a great, nail-biting 10-point win for the Magpies out at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, as the…

  • Teachers strike pay deal

    Teachers strike pay deal

    VICTORIAN teachers have reached an agreement with the state government that will increase pay to $151,419 by 2029. The latest in-principle agreement was announced on Friday afternoon after two weeks…

  • Golf round-up from across the region

    Golf round-up from across the region

    Coomealla Coomealla Golf Club Coming Events: Wednesday 20/05/26- Stableford. Friday 22/05/26 –9-Hole Medley Stableford. Saturday 23/05/26 – Par. Sunday 24/05/26 –18-hole and 9-hole Medley Stableford. Competition Results Wednesday Men 13/05/26…

  • Fatal turn to car theft

    Fatal turn to car theft

    THREE Mildura teenagers were involved in a fatal vehicle crash near Woosang on Saturday morning. A 14-year-old boy was declared deceased at the scene, while the 18-year-old driver and his…

  • Men’s masterclass in glass

    Men’s masterclass in glass

    DARETON’s Allan Taylor is a very creative man. Amongst painting and photography, he is a skilled glass artist and is bringing his marble, paper weight and bead making equipment and…