Mildura logs new COVID-19 case as playground joins site list

MILDURA has recorded a second positive COVID-19 case within a week as the Victorian Government nominated the region as a priority area for its community pop-up vaccination program.

Victoria’s deputy chief health officer Dan O’Brien said on Sunday the new Mildura case was a primary close contact of a known case who had been in quarantine for more than a week before diagnosis.

The additional case prompted the Department of Health and Human Services to name a new, secondary public exposure site at a Mildura playground that was visited by the case more than a week ago.

Ontario Heights Playground, on Sherring Way, was visited by a positive case on Saturday, September 4, between 4.30pm and 6pm.

The playground was listed as a tier 2 exposure site and anyone who was there between those times has been urged to get tested urgently and isolate until they return a negative result.

Dan Murphy’s on Fifteenth Street remains a tier 2 exposure site for anyone who attended the outlet on Friday, September 3, between 3pm and 3.35pm.

The new Mildura case was one of just five new positive results in regional Victoria on Saturday, taking the total number of cases in the local government area to 13, including two active cases in Mildura’s 3500 postcode.

On Sunday the government also announced that Mildura would be one of 100 priority postcodes across the state to get additional access to vaccines.

Using supply secured through agreements with Singapore and the United Kingdom, the new vaccination program will cover 100 postcodes at community and school-based pop-ups in areas that need them most, and where barriers to vaccination may exist.

Five community-based pop-ups and eight school-based pop-ups will begin administering vaccinations over the next two weeks, initially in Melbourne’s northern and western suburbs.

The number of school-based pop-ups has been forecast to expand rapidly, with about 70 school sites eventually earmarked for all members of the community.

Sixty open-access state-run centres are operating across Victoria and additional sites are opening each week.

Health Minister Martin Foley said the new pop-up sites would be established in areas with identified vulnerabilities and barriers to access.

Meanwhile, New South Wales’ Far West Local Health District reported seven cases of COVID-19 to 8pm Saturday night, including two cases that were previously reported in another jurisdiction, bringing the total number of cases reported in the district to 155.

Of the seven new cases, four were in Broken Hill and three were in Wilcannia and all were in isolation.

The district’s total number of recovered cases is 67 (five from Broken Hill, 62 from Wilcannia) and the total number of active cases is now 88.

Digital Editions


  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with…

More News

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…

  • Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    THANK goodness the SFNL senior footy game between Merbein and Red Cliffs was a great, nail-biting 10-point win for the Magpies out at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, as the…

  • Teachers strike pay deal

    Teachers strike pay deal

    VICTORIAN teachers have reached an agreement with the state government that will increase pay to $151,419 by 2029. The latest in-principle agreement was announced on Friday afternoon after two weeks…

  • Golf round-up from across the region

    Golf round-up from across the region

    Coomealla Coomealla Golf Club Coming Events: Wednesday 20/05/26- Stableford. Friday 22/05/26 –9-Hole Medley Stableford. Saturday 23/05/26 – Par. Sunday 24/05/26 –18-hole and 9-hole Medley Stableford. Competition Results Wednesday Men 13/05/26…

  • Fatal turn to car theft

    Fatal turn to car theft

    THREE Mildura teenagers were involved in a fatal vehicle crash near Woosang on Saturday morning. A 14-year-old boy was declared deceased at the scene, while the 18-year-old driver and his…

  • Men’s masterclass in glass

    Men’s masterclass in glass

    DARETON’s Allan Taylor is a very creative man. Amongst painting and photography, he is a skilled glass artist and is bringing his marble, paper weight and bead making equipment and…