Spike in COVID-19 cases in NSW’s far west

ANOTHER 15 COVID-19 cases in Wilcannia will be included in Tuesday’s figures, NSW deputy premier John Barilaro announced on Monday.

The additional cases are in addition to the 24 in Wilcannia and four in Broken Hill that were reported up until 8pm Sunday, taking the outbreak in NSW’s far west to a total of 43 cases.

There were still no active cases in the Wentworth or Balranald shires, with two previously listed cases relisted to Wilcannia, where they have been since being infected with the virus.

Far West Local Health District (FWLHD) authorities were bracing on Monday for a potential surge in cases, amid speculation a backlog of test swabs from Wilcannia were not transported to Broken Hill for analysis over the weekend.

Results from big testing days late last week are also expected to come through in the coming hours.

FWLHD chief executive Umit Agis told media on Monday that although “all cases are in isolation” he expected case numbers to keep rising.

“We are expecting there will be more positive cases announced out at Wilcannia,” he said.

Mr Agis said there would be more boots on the ground in the town this week to help the Wilcannia community through the outbreak, with five Australian Defence Force personnel and five extra police.

“We have been advised that the army will be in Wilcannia from today to assist police with welfare checks, delivering food supplies, and supporting the community,” he said.

“Tomorrow we’re expecting in excess of 10 AUSMAT (Australian Medical Assistance Teams) personnel, and that will be nurses, doctors and also pharmacists as well. They’ll work in concert with our nurses and in conjunction with RFDS (Royal Flying Doctor Service).”

The extra help would be put to work trying to get more people in the community of more than 700 people vaccinated, Mr Agis said.

“Last count I had was about 200 had their first dose and about half that number is second dosed,” he said.

“Our aim is to go in with a large team and go door to door … to get everybody to at least have their first dose by the end of this week.”

Mr Agis again urged community members in the far west to get tested and do their bit to help keep the growing outbreak under control.

“The only way we’re going to be able to determine if there are more positive cases in the community is through testing,” he said.

Testing clinics are open from 10am-4pm daily at:

  • Dareton – George Gordon Oval
  • Gol Gol – Gol Gol Football Oval, off Carramar Drive
  • Wentworth – Wentworth Show Grounds
  • Balranald – Greenham Park Hall
  • Menindee – Menindee Oval, entry through Perry Street
  • Wilcannia – Wilcannia Oval

Digital Editions


  • Wenty council continues projects

    Wenty council continues projects

    WENTWORTH Shire Council recently outlined latest completed and ongoing projects for the month. First on the list was a recommendation from the state government to…

More News

  • Labor hangs on for victory in tight by-election

    Labor hangs on for victory in tight by-election

    BRISBANE: The governing Liberal National Party has conceded it won’t win a closely fought Queensland by-election triggered by the sudden death of the local member. But a big swing away…

  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with the federal budget. The latest…

  • Gentle riders raise awareness

    Gentle riders raise awareness

    MILDURA’S Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride returned for another year, joining the worldwide initiative for men’s health and wellbeing. This year’s ride welcomed 24 well-dressed riders, driving through the Mildura area on…

  • Safety upgrades for highways

    Safety upgrades for highways

    SAFETY barrier installations have been planned along the Silver City Highway and Sturt Highway near Wentworth in a $1.2 million project to reduce crashes. Transport for NSW’s plans include adding…

  • Refreshing restart for wellbeing week

    Refreshing restart for wellbeing week

    MALLEE’S Community Wellbeing Week has returned for another year, growing into a full six-day program for the community. Events for the week have been scheduled for Mildura as well as…

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…