COVID spread fears grow

POP-UP COVID-19 testing sites have been hurriedly established throughout the Wentworth Shire at the weekend as “grave fears” grow about the virus spreading into western New South Wales.

Residents have been put on high alert as all of regional NSW spiralled into lockdown following concerns about the spread of the current Sydney outbreak.

The new orders came into effect at 5pm on Saturday which means that residents in the Wentworth Shire must stay at home unless they have a reasonable excuse to leave.

All hospitality venues must be closed to the public, including pubs, restaurants and cafes, except for takeaway.

Residents also cannot have visitors in their home from outside their household, including family and friends.

There is also a NSW ban on either training for or playing community sport, placing major doubt on the ability to see out both Sunraysia and Millewa football and netball competitions this season.

Matches went ahead at the weekend without crowds, but with clubs on both sides of the Victorian/NSW border, the spread of COVID-19 into the regions and tightening of restrictions are threatening to put a premature conclusion to the competitions.

Both NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian and chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant said they were concerned about the escalating situation in western NSW, especially in relation to vulnerable indigenous communities.

“I can’t stress enough the seriousness of the current situation and my grave concern that these case numbers will continue to escalate,” Dr Chant said.

“While we have put in additional controls everyone needs to have a great sense of responsibility to follow the rules.”

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews indicated on Sunday there was some advice that the NSW spread of the virus had reached the Wentworth Local Government Area on the Victorian border.

“We’ve got a person in Wentworth today, haven’t we?” Mr Andrews said at his daily media briefing.

“Hopefully that’s not a case, hopefully we get a negative test for that person at some point,” he said.

A spokesperson said there had been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Far West Local Health District (FWLHD) area.

The weekend events prompted the FWLHD to establish pop up COVID testing clinics at Dareton, Wentworth and Gol Gol which began operating on Sunday and will continue until further notice.

A FWLHD spokesperson said high testing rates remained critical to stopping the spread of COVID-19.

“It is important that everyone continues to watch out for any signs that could indicate COVID-19 and to get tested if you have even the mildest of symptoms,” the spokesperson said.

Symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, runny nose, loss of taste or smell. Other reported symptoms include fatigue, acute blocked nose (congestion), muscle pain, joint pain, headache, diarrhoea, nausea/vomiting, loss of appetite, unexplained chest pain and conjunctivitis.

Local NSW clinics are at George Gordon Oval (Dareton), Wentworth Show Grounds and Gol Gol Football Oval and will operate 10am to 4pm daily.

People should immediately self-isolate until they receive a result which largely happens within 24 hours.

About 800 people of the Wentworth Shire’s 8000 population have been tested so far.

The joint NSW Police Force and Australian Defence Force operation — Operation STAY AT HOME — begins on Monday with increased fines of up to $5000 for COVID breaches.

The FWLHD has also closed its facilities for patient visitors during the new stay-at-home restrictions and anyone with an appointment to attend Outpatient Department will be contacted to confirm an alternate plan for the appointment.

“We ask for your understanding, support and patience during this time as we move through the current stay-at-home restrictions,” the spokesperson said.

Digital Editions


  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with…

More News

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…

  • Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    THANK goodness the SFNL senior footy game between Merbein and Red Cliffs was a great, nail-biting 10-point win for the Magpies out at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, as the…

  • Teachers strike pay deal

    Teachers strike pay deal

    VICTORIAN teachers have reached an agreement with the state government that will increase pay to $151,419 by 2029. The latest in-principle agreement was announced on Friday afternoon after two weeks…

  • Golf round-up from across the region

    Golf round-up from across the region

    Coomealla Coomealla Golf Club Coming Events: Wednesday 20/05/26- Stableford. Friday 22/05/26 –9-Hole Medley Stableford. Saturday 23/05/26 – Par. Sunday 24/05/26 –18-hole and 9-hole Medley Stableford. Competition Results Wednesday Men 13/05/26…

  • Fatal turn to car theft

    Fatal turn to car theft

    THREE Mildura teenagers were involved in a fatal vehicle crash near Woosang on Saturday morning. A 14-year-old boy was declared deceased at the scene, while the 18-year-old driver and his…

  • Men’s masterclass in glass

    Men’s masterclass in glass

    DARETON’s Allan Taylor is a very creative man. Amongst painting and photography, he is a skilled glass artist and is bringing his marble, paper weight and bead making equipment and…