Mildura GP ‘happy with AstraZeneca’ as vaccination eligibility expanded

A LOCAL GP has called on younger Sunraysia residents to come forward for an AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccination after the Federal Government expanded eligibility on Tuesday.

“The only way to move forward (from coronavirus outbreaks) is with vaccination,” said Dr John Dyson-Berry, from Lime Medical Clinic.

Dr Dyson-Berry, who had his first AstraZeneca jab in March, will have his second jab this week.

“I personally am very happy with AstraZeneca,” he said.

“It is as safe as you can get. The risks are very tiny in comparison to the risks of getting coronavirus.”

On Tuesday Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced people between the ages of 18 and 39, who were not eligible for the Pfizer vaccine, could opt to receive the AstraZeneca vaccine.

According to the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI), the risk of getting a rare blood clot after the AstraZeneca vaccine could be as low as about one in 200,000.

As part of the expanded eligibility, the Australian Government will protect general practitioners from any litigation under an indemnity scheme when they administer AstraZeneca to Australians with informed consent.

But some confusion remains around the scheme, with the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) and Victoria’s health department calling on federal authorities for more information.

Victorian Health Minister Martin Foley said the expansion of the rollout to anyone under 40 had not been agreed to during Monday night’s national cabinet meeting.

“This morning the Department of Health has reached out to the Commonwealth to request advice about whether eligibility requirements are formally changing,” he told reporters on Tuesday.

There are reports some GPs have knocked back AstraZeneca consultation requests from Victorians under 40 as they await official advice on the change.

Mr Foley said GPs had raised the issue and he urged those aged 18 to 39 to be patient as authorities iron out indemnity and supply details.

“There’s a degree of confusion out there with the GPs as we seek to roll this out,” he said.

“As soon as we get all the information and clarification from the Commonwealth, we will implement the system as quickly and as smoothly as we possibly can.”

Premier Daniel Andrews told media Victorians aged 18 to 39 won’t be able to walk up for their shot at mass vaccination hubs, including the Mildura sub-hub run by Sunraysia Community Health Services.

He will consider broadening the change to state-run centres, if supply constraints can be addressed.

“The only limiting factor at the moment is, do we have enough supply to get into as many arms as we can, as fast as we can?” Mr Andrews said.

– with AAP

Digital Editions


More News

  • Refreshing restart for wellbeing week

    Refreshing restart for wellbeing week

    MALLEE’S Community Wellbeing Week has returned for another year, growing into a full six-day program for the community. Events for the week have been scheduled for Mildura as well as…

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…

  • Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    THANK goodness the SFNL senior footy game between Merbein and Red Cliffs was a great, nail-biting 10-point win for the Magpies out at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, as the…

  • Teachers strike pay deal

    Teachers strike pay deal

    VICTORIAN teachers have reached an agreement with the state government that will increase pay to $151,419 by 2029. The latest in-principle agreement was announced on Friday afternoon after two weeks…

  • Golf round-up from across the region

    Golf round-up from across the region

    Coomealla Coomealla Golf Club Coming Events: Wednesday 20/05/26- Stableford. Friday 22/05/26 –9-Hole Medley Stableford. Saturday 23/05/26 – Par. Sunday 24/05/26 –18-hole and 9-hole Medley Stableford. Competition Results Wednesday Men 13/05/26…

  • Fatal turn to car theft

    Fatal turn to car theft

    THREE Mildura teenagers were involved in a fatal vehicle crash near Woosang on Saturday morning. A 14-year-old boy was declared deceased at the scene, while the 18-year-old driver and his…