Vic police crack down on NSW road border

POLICE patrolling the Victorian-NSW border are preparing to take a hardline stance on travellers sneaking south of the Murray River.

Some 260 officers have been stationed across Victoria’s road border since Saturday, with police using automatic number plate recognition to check vehicles.

Victoria has effectively shut its border to the current red zones of Sydney and surrounding areas as well as Greater Darwin over separate COVID-19 outbreaks that have leaked into other states.

It has led to Greater Brisbane, metropolitan Perth and the neighbouring Peel region, regional NSW and the ACT moving to orange zones under Victoria’s permit system.

Arrivals from those areas must be tested and isolate until they receive a negative result, while members of the Victorian-NSW border bubble can still cross freely.

Over the initial days of the road border operation, officers have turned away 53 people – most for coming from a red zone – with just a warning.

But Chief Commissioner Shane Patton indicated patience was running thin, with ineligible travellers set to face a $4957 on-the-spot fine.

“If there’s a need to escalate, we will escalate,” he said on Monday

That will include helicopters scanning the Hume Highway from Monday and fixed-wing aircraft patrolling the length of the border from mid-week.

Health Minister Martin Foley said 5000 red zone permit applications had been made since June 23, with more than 1000 processed on Sunday alone. Some 38 per cent have returned a negative test result.

Another 21,000 orange zone permits have been issued since June 11, and 31 per cent of holders have returned negative tests.

Mr Foley said border permit designations were not handed down on a whim, noting it was the first time Victoria had listed orange and red zones in most Australian states and territories.

It comes as Victoria reported a second straight day without a locally acquired case of coronavirus, after Sydney’s Bondi outbreak leaked into the state from an Oakleigh man who attended a superspreader birthday party.

The infected man in his 60s works at a Sandringham dry cleaners, where he passed on the virus to a colleague.

Victoria’s COVID commander Jeroen Weimar said all but two of the 67 shop customers identified as close contacts have returned negative tests so far. One has declined to take a test but will remain in self-isolation.

Of the 139 passengers and crew who shared a Jetstar flight from Sydney to Melbourne with the Oakleigh man, 85 per cent have also returned a negative test result.

New South Wales recorded 18 new cases on Monday.

Digital Editions


  • Wenty council continues projects

    Wenty council continues projects

    WENTWORTH Shire Council recently outlined latest completed and ongoing projects for the month. First on the list was a recommendation from the state government to…

More News

  • Labor hangs on for victory in tight by-election

    Labor hangs on for victory in tight by-election

    BRISBANE: The governing Liberal National Party has conceded it won’t win a closely fought Queensland by-election triggered by the sudden death of the local member. But a big swing away…

  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with the federal budget. The latest…

  • Gentle riders raise awareness

    Gentle riders raise awareness

    MILDURA’S Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride returned for another year, joining the worldwide initiative for men’s health and wellbeing. This year’s ride welcomed 24 well-dressed riders, driving through the Mildura area on…

  • Safety upgrades for highways

    Safety upgrades for highways

    SAFETY barrier installations have been planned along the Silver City Highway and Sturt Highway near Wentworth in a $1.2 million project to reduce crashes. Transport for NSW’s plans include adding…

  • Refreshing restart for wellbeing week

    Refreshing restart for wellbeing week

    MALLEE’S Community Wellbeing Week has returned for another year, growing into a full six-day program for the community. Events for the week have been scheduled for Mildura as well as…

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…