NSW police thankful after border opens

THE New South Wales and Victorian border is now open.
NSW Police opened the border at midnight on Sunday.

The border was closed four months ago amid Victoria’s second wave of the coronavirus pandemic.

More than five million vehicles crossed the border during this time.

NSW Minister for Police and Emergency Services David Elliott did not shy away from the decision to shut the border.

“All of the public health orders have been consistent with our commitment to keep the people of NSW and particularly our border communities safe,” Mr Elliott said.

“The border closures have been an extraordinarily difficult decision to make, but I cannot commend highly enough the dedication and professionalism of both NSW Police officers and our Australian Defence Force officers who have implemented the operational responses to limit the spread of the virus between NSW and its surrounding states.”

NSW Police Force commissioner Mick Fuller said the operation had undoubtedly saved lives by preventing the spread of COVID-19 into NSW.

“From day one we said this would be a dynamic operation and I am proud of the job our officers, in partnership with ADF members, have done in protecting the people of this state,” Mr Fuller said.

“Some have travelled long distances to be here, often for weeks at a time in difficult conditions, manning dozens of checkpoints, while acting in line with the health advice and making sure our community is protected.

“Today marks a new chapter in our fight against COVID-19, but I want to be clear – police will continue to enforce all public health orders as this pandemic evolves.”

Superintendent Paul Smith, who was the NSW police’s forward commander of the border closure, said the support of local communities from the coast to the South Australian border throughout the operation had been a major contributing factor to its success.

“Police worked closely with local members of parliament and the mayors of border communities to minimise disruption to everyday lives,” he said.

“Not only was the community’s patience appreciated, but many of our officers have reported stories of their generosity, kindness and gratitude – which will not be forgotten.”

Police appeal to the community to report suspected breaches of any public health order, or behaviour which may impact on the health and safety of the community.

Digital Editions


  • Road safety is key

    Road safety is key

    Jade Benham Member for Mildura WHILE some may say the last 20 years have flown, for those affected by the Cardross Tragedy, every day has…

More News

  • New growth at grains conference

    New growth at grains conference

    THE next generation of farming practices is set to be on full display at Yarrawonga’s upcoming grains conference. The annual Grains Conference by Victorian Farmers Federation is a two-day event…

  • New manager for private hospital

    New manager for private hospital

    MILDURA Health Private Hospital has a new executive general manager. Sharita Ram, who has extensive clinical, operational, and executive leadership experience with private health and aged care, commenced her role…

  • Hay, check for weeds

    Hay, check for weeds

    DROUGHT and bushfire affected farmers are being encouraged to check their fodder deliveries for aggressive weeds that continue to threaten the State. The top concern is the parthenium weed, Parthenium…

  • Karly comes home for cancer concert

    Karly comes home for cancer concert

    WENTWORTH singer-songwriter, Karly Jewell, is on her way home to play at the 2026 Concert for Cancer Research at the Wentworth Showgrounds on Saturday, 7 March. Jewell, who has released…

  • Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    WEDNESDAY 18 February was the 20 year anniversary of the Cardross Tragedy, an event that left an indelible mark on a small community and Sunraysia at large. The events of…

  • Fine for hindering police

    Fine for hindering police

    A MAN has been fined $750 for refusing to give his name and address to police after being pulled over. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 30-year-old John Lanumata was driving…

  • Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    CONTINUAL cost-shifting onto municipalities is unsustainable and should sit with the responsible body, according to Local Government NSW. During the week the New South Wales State Government announced proposals for…

  • Young Carter gets a lift

    Young Carter gets a lift

    TEN-year-old Carter Hodges and his family no longer have to take two cars if they want to all travel together. Carter was born with cerebral palsy and has a global…

  • Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    A YOUNG woman has pleaded guilty to trafficking drugs of dependence. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 23-year-old Rory Evans had been in a relationship with a 28-year-old co-accused when police…

  • Airfares inquiry visits Mildura

    Airfares inquiry visits Mildura

    AUSTRALIA’S Productivity Commission calling on the Mildura community to discuss the effects of airfares in organisation’s first regional drop-in event. The Productivity Commission opened its national inquiry in December last…