Regional Victoria rules will ease ‘if and when it is safe’

REGIONAL Victoria may eventually follow a different set of coronavirus restrictions to areas where community transmission is high, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has flagged.

Restrictions across the state were tightened at the weekend following an increase in COVID-19 cases.

In announcing the changes, Mr Andrews left open the possibility of regional areas being eased ahead of others.

“We will, if and when it is safe, reopen those communities perhaps with a different set of rules,” Mr Andrews said on Saturday.

On Sunday, 19 new Victorian cases were announced, after Saturday’s 25 new cases prompted changes to the state’s restrictions.

From Monday, only five visitors will be allowed at Victorian homes.

Outside the home, families and friends can meet in groups up to 10.

Restaurants, pubs, auction halls, community halls, libraries, museums and places of worship, which were set for increased patronage, will all stay at a maximum of 20 people in any one space until July 12.

Businesses that were set to open on Monday like gyms, cinemas, theatres and TABs can do so, but only with a maximum of 20 people.

Member for Mildura Ali Cupper said in a statement the setback for Victoria’s easing showed how quickly things can change with the deadly virus.

“Thankfully, businesses like cinemas, gyms, museums and theatres will still be able to reopen on Monday,” Ms Cupper said.

“And importantly – especially for the small-town pubs in my electorate – the need for a meal with a drink is still being lifted.

“It was encouraging to hear Premier Andrews say the government has left the door open for tailored changes to the way restrictions are lifted and there is a possibility of applying restrictions in a geographical sense.

“That could see regional Victorian areas like ours, where there have been no active cases of the coronavirus in a long time, having restrictions eased more quickly.

“I will not pressure Premier Andrews or the government to do anything potentially unsafe, however I will be pushing for them to work with health officials to do whatever possible to lift restrictions in regional areas like ours safely and as soon as possible.

“It is important for us to realise these regressive steps have been deemed necessary by health officials and we need to continue to follow all the rules and regulations in place – for our own safety and for the safety of our community.”

Mr Andrews said about half of Victoria’s cases since the end of April had come from transmission inside someone’s home.

Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Professor Brett Sutton said there had been more than 100 new cases in the past seven days and the “main cause” was people not following advice about physical distancing, hygiene and limiting visitors.

“We have been very successful so far in avoiding the worst consequences of this disease and we cannot let our good work so far go to waste,” Prof Sutton said.

“The message is clear – don’t take this disease lightly – stay home, don’t go to work if you can work from home, don’t visit friends and family, don’t go on holiday.”

Digital Editions


  • Living healthy

    Living healthy

    NEW items are constantly being added to our collection at the library. The following titles, covering a range of subjects, may be of interest to…

More News

  • Irish charm to hit Sunraysia

    Irish charm to hit Sunraysia

    IRELAND: The Voyage, which comes to Mildura Arts Centre on Thursday 26 February, is more than just a song and dance about Irish folklore. It’s a celebration of Ireland’s history…

  • Fencing reviews recommended

    Fencing reviews recommended

    FARMERS affected by the recent bushfires are being encouraged to review their infrastructure layout before re-establishing traditional fencing. For many fire-affected farmers, the rebuilding process provides the opportunity to establish…

  • New growth at grains conference

    New growth at grains conference

    THE next generation of farming practices is set to be on full display at Yarrawonga’s upcoming grains conference. The annual Grains Conference by Victorian Farmers Federation is a two-day event…

  • New manager for private hospital

    New manager for private hospital

    MILDURA Health Private Hospital has a new executive general manager. Sharita Ram, who has extensive clinical, operational, and executive leadership experience with private health and aged care, commenced her role…

  • Hay, check for weeds

    Hay, check for weeds

    DROUGHT and bushfire affected farmers are being encouraged to check their fodder deliveries for aggressive weeds that continue to threaten the State. The top concern is the parthenium weed, Parthenium…

  • Karly comes home for cancer concert

    Karly comes home for cancer concert

    WENTWORTH singer-songwriter, Karly Jewell, is on her way home to play at the 2026 Concert for Cancer Research at the Wentworth Showgrounds on Saturday, 7 March. Jewell, who has released…

  • Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    WEDNESDAY 18 February was the 20 year anniversary of the Cardross Tragedy, an event that left an indelible mark on a small community and Sunraysia at large. The events of…

  • Fine for hindering police

    Fine for hindering police

    A MAN has been fined $750 for refusing to give his name and address to police after being pulled over. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 30-year-old John Lanumata was driving…

  • Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    CONTINUAL cost-shifting onto municipalities is unsustainable and should sit with the responsible body, according to Local Government NSW. During the week the New South Wales State Government announced proposals for…

  • Young Carter gets a lift

    Young Carter gets a lift

    TEN-year-old Carter Hodges and his family no longer have to take two cars if they want to all travel together. Carter was born with cerebral palsy and has a global…