Toxic Waste Dump – The fight that united the Sunraysia community

Originally published January 10, 2007

THE community’s united front against a proposed toxic waste dump at Nowingi has prevailed.

A dejected looking Deputy Premier John Thwaites and Planning Minister Justin Madden made the announcement that no dump would be built at Nowingi, or any part of Victoria.

The announcement was met throughout Sunraysia by ecstatic members of the community and high-profile toxic dump campaigners.

Deputy Premier Thwaites said there would not be another siting process for a long-term containment facility in Victoria, and instead the government will rely on the Lyndhurst landfill for safe management and disposal of industrial waste until 2020.

In Sunraysia and Melbourne, opponents of the dump proposal rejoiced in the government’s decision.

Many touted the announcement as a win for democracy, and fair process.

Hattah Store proprietor Alex Dowsley said he was “totally happy” with the decision by the State Government to abandon plans for the dump.

“It’s cost us two-and-a-half years of our lives — not just us but everybody in the fight — and we were fighting a bureaucracy which had things the wrong way around as far as I was concerned,” he said.

“It means we can now get back to looking at the business as a business. It means I can now do some maintenance around the place and restore connections with family and friends.”

Peter Crisp, who led the Save the Food Bowl Alliance and campaigned heavily against the toxic waste dump in the 2006 election, was thrilled by the release of the planning panel review.

“The community rallied together and refused to cave in, even when the State Government poured millions of dollars of taxpayer’s money into hiring so-called experts and a legal team to defend its position,” Mr Crisp said.

“The amount of support that I received from the local community was staggering, and the decision is wonderful news for Sunraysia district families, who stood united and resolute in the face of adversity.”

Mr Crisp said he would now push for compensation on behalf of the local community, which has spent millions of dollars fighting the proposed dump.

“The Mildura Rural City Council should be compensated immediately for the money it has spent on behalf of ratepayers,” Mr Crisp said.

“It has been an exhausting and costly process which should never have been undertaken, if the Bracks Government had been willing to listen from day one.”

Initially, it was Tiega/Galah, near Ouyen, that was named in November 2003 as one of three sites being investigated by the government to place a hazardous waste containment facility.

However, by May 2004 the government named Nowingi as the nominated site for the dump, sparking immediate fury from the horticultural sector.

Mildura Rural City Council took an instant stance against the proposal, a stance the then Mayor Peter Byrne saw through to finalisation, although then not in office.

With the formation of the Save the Food Bowl Alliance and with strong council and community support, the battle against the proposal was under way.

A visit by Major Projects Minister Peter Batchelor in June 2004 brought traffic to a standstill in Deakin Avenue when about 1300 gathered to vent their anger at the minister.

Eight municipalities supported the fight, and about 1000 people marched through Melbourne’s centre to Parliament House in October 2004 where Member for Mildura Russell Savage presented the government with 6000 copies of an open letter of protest signed by Sunraysia residents.

Rare and endangered species were identified at the Nowingi site, while the government’s own consultant foreshadowed an annual cost of between $300 million and $400 million and 300 job losses to the region if the plan went ahead.

Copies of Environment Effects Statement were released in October 2005 and residents were urged to continue to raise funds to support the fight.

Mr Crisp flagged his intention to contest the State seat of Mildura at the looming November 2006 election, just months before the crucial independent toxic waste dump panel hearing was due to begin.

The hearing concluded in September 2006 without a decision and the community could only wait.

An action plan, should the proposal go ahead, was enacted and included a strong suggestion to blockade the site.

Without any prior warning, the Victorian Government Planning Minister announced, at a press conference on January 9, that after a lengthy inquiry and numerous government reports — costing as much as $25 million — the plans would be abandoned.

Digital Editions


  • Lambing program yields productive results

    Lambing program yields productive results

    LATEST results from an on-farm Mallee demonstration have shown promising results for sheep producers looking to improve flock reproductive performance. The More Northern Mallee Lambs…

More News

  • Bail refused ram raid accused

    Bail refused ram raid accused

    THE alleged driver of a vehicle responsible for a ram raid at Titto’s Store earlier this week has been refused bail. The Mildura Magistrate’s Court heard Zach Whitelegg attended the…

  • Budget debt in heated debate

    Budget debt in heated debate

    VICTORIA’S operating surplus has become the topic of a heated enquiry following recent committee hearings into the budget estimates. The Victorian Government’s Public Accounts and Estimates Committee have recently launched…

  • Aged care protections too late: Webster

    Aged care protections too late: Webster

    MEMBER for Mallee Anne Webster has said the recently announced protections for aged care consumers is too little too late after Mallee residents are now waiting a reported 295 days…

  • Dig day discoveries at Mildura West

    Dig day discoveries at Mildura West

    PEOPLE driving past Mildura West Primary School on Wednesday might have thought that little diggers had mistaken the sand pit for an archaeological dig in Egypt. However, fossils, bones, artefacts…

  • RSPCA celebrates volunteer milestone

    RSPCA celebrates volunteer milestone

    RSPCA Victoria is celebrating its force of exceptional volunteers this National Volunteer Week (18-24 May) and recognising the essential role they play in animal welfare. As a gesture of thanks…

  • Rex reduction

    Rex reduction

    REX has announced a reduction in its return services between Mildura and Melbourne from 24 to 19 per week as part of a larger restructuring of its Victoria and Tasmania…

  • Eagles to swim it in at Sarah Oval

    Eagles to swim it in at Sarah Oval

    THE Imperials A Grade netball team will have to eat bucketfuls of Weetbix to try and beat Robinvale Euston at the Sarah Oval on Saturday. The Eagles, who are at…

  • Swallows to take flight

    Swallows to take flight

    ROUND seven sees Ouyen United play Irymple in the A Grade Sunraysia Football Netball League clash at Underbool Recreation Reserve on Saturday. It’s fourth versus eighth on the ladder, with…

  • Mildura still top responder

    Mildura still top responder

    MILDURA Ambulance Victoria response times have stayed close to average, reaching code one cases under 15 minutes more than 70 per cent of the time. Mildura’s Local Government Area cases…

  • Thirty cents a beer, I’ll drink to that

    Thirty cents a beer, I’ll drink to that

    PRESENTED by Mildura & District Historical Society Compiled by Mildura Rural City Council Libraries 100 YEARS AGO: 1926 PARCEL: Good progress is being made in the erection of the addition…