Medina to bounce back for big bout

VETERAN mixed martial arts fighter Jesse Medina believes he still has plenty left in the tank and there are too many good opportunities to pass up.

The 32-year-old submission specialist is locked in to face Japanese fighter Shoichi Tomita in his Australian debut in March.

The professional lightweight bout has been added to the Beatdown Promotions 6 card scheduled for March 9 in Eatons Hill, Queensland.

The Mildura MMA fighter is coming from back-to-back losses and a spell recuperating from injuries, however both bouts went the distance and were decided on judges’ points.

“Funky Cold” was considered unlucky by some in his Diamondback Championship lightweight title contest in July against Tom Rogers, but the man himself believes a few tweaks on fight night can help improve his 16-13 record.

“I reckon the time off helped a bit, unfortunately the bit of an injury I got from that kept me out longer than expected,” he said.

“The last couple of fights have been competitive and it’s come down to points, I probably just need to tweak a few things just to ensure I’m 100 per cent there mentally.

“After a couple of losses, I’m ready to show that I still have good fights left in me before I eventually call it quits.”

Tomita, a 35-year-old from Mie, Japan, holds a 9-2 record but his battle with Medina will be his first pro fight in over two years after last defeating Kouki Nakagawa via unanimous decision in January 2022.

Medina said facing a man of Tomita’s experience and pedigree is a huge opportunity he couldn’t pass up.

“When I was approached about this fight, I didn’t hesitate to say ‘yes’,” he said.

“He’s 9-2 and fought with some big promotions before, and I see this as a great opportunity and a good way to test myself against different styles of fighting.

“I’ll get pretty heavy into the research now and see what kind of style he brings to the table.”

Medina said he also wanted to experience the Queensland-based Beatdown Promotions, one of rising fight promotions in the country.

“It’s a fairly new promotion but one of the guys running it is a former UFC fighter and by all reports, he looks after the guys really well and it seems to be a really professionally run organisation,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • Tassone plays in SA youth match

    Tassone plays in SA youth match

    IN the annual SA Youth Match, between the SA Under-18s Championships squad and a State Under-20s team at Woodville Oval, last Saturday, May 16, Sam…

More News

  • Tutu-ally sweet at MAC

    Tutu-ally sweet at MAC

    THE Australian Ballet, in partnership with the Australian Ballet School, is bringing Clara, the Nutcracker Prince and the Kingdom of Sweets to Mildura Arts Centre for matinee and evening performances…

  • In with the old and the new

    In with the old and the new

    Four o’clock in the afternoon is the perfect time for an aperitif, according to the Mildura Club committee member, Kat Galam. The club, which was founded and re-established by none…

  • Fatal multi-vehicle crash

    Fatal multi-vehicle crash

    A DRIVER has died following a multi-vehicle crash in Trentham Cliffs. Emergency services were called to the intersection of Dansons Road and Sturt Highway just after 8.20am Wednesday morning, and…

  • Solidarity in Sunraysia

    Solidarity in Sunraysia

    OVER 60,000 people in Victoria have Parkinson’s disease, and people in Sunraysia aren’t immune to it. Parkinson’s is a degenerative neurological disorder that affects bodily movements, and while there is…

  • Walking with sole safety

    Walking with sole safety

    STUDENTS at Mildura West Primary School stepped toward a healthier future last week in honour of Walk Safely to School Day. The annual event, now in its 27th run, highlights…

  • Wenty council continues projects

    Wenty council continues projects

    WENTWORTH Shire Council recently outlined latest completed and ongoing projects for the month. First on the list was a recommendation from the state government to keep better control of vegetation…

  • Mildura West mobile site upgrades

    Mildura West mobile site upgrades

    UPGRADES to Telstra’s Mildura West mobile base station will take place from Tuesday for five days during which the site will need to be switched off for up to eight…

  • Service to remember

    Service to remember

    SUNRAYSIA Community Health Services’ annual Palliative Care Memorial welcomed many new and returning faces, looking to pay their respects for loved ones who have been supported by the service. The…

  • Bloomshed makes it to centre stage with comedy classic

    Bloomshed makes it to centre stage with comedy classic

    MELBOURNE: For a theatre company started in the backyard shed of a suburban rental, it’s fitting that Bloomshed has made it to the main stage with a comedic take on…

  • Labor hangs on for victory in tight by-election

    Labor hangs on for victory in tight by-election

    BRISBANE: The governing Liberal National Party has conceded it won’t win a closely fought Queensland by-election triggered by the sudden death of the local member. But a big swing away…