Hammer blow as Mildura restaurant declared a Tier 1 exposure site

THE owner of popular local Vietnamese restaurant Mr Bun Mi has revealed the jarring moment he was told his business was one of Mildura’s Tier 1 exposure sites.

Andy Nguyen said he received a call from a health department official about 6pm on Sunday with the news that Mr Bun Mi was visited by the city’s first COVID case in 15 months last Tuesday night.

“I was at home when I got the call. I was shocked me when the lady from the health (department) told me what had happened,” said Mr Nguyen, who also owns Andy’s Kitchen in Mildura.

“Within half an hour we were closed and put up a notice advising our customers on our Facebook page.

“We immediately had to put our stock, which was worth about $6000, straight into the bin.

“It’s very unfortunate, but we have to comply with the rules.”

Mr Nguyen said Mr Bun Mi would be closed for 14 days from the exposure date of Tuesday, July 13, between 5-7pm.

He said the business would undergo a deep clean before reopening.

Mr Bun Mi is one of 11 Tier 1 and 2 exposure sites in Mildura, including Kaffenio, Noodle World, Coles in Fifteenth Street, Mildura Central Shopping Centre, Mildura Waves, The Alfred Deakin Centre (twice last Monday), Yo Yo Joe’s, blk.mlk coffee shop and Solunar cafe on Deakin Avenue.

Asked if the man who tested positive at the weekend had dined in or had takeaway at Mr Bun Mi last Tuesday night, he said: “At this stage, I don’t know.

“I did ask that question to the lady from the public health team and she told me she didn’t know at this stage.

“We are trying to get more information to pass on to our staff members and customers.”

He said he and his staff, along with their family members, would have two tests and isolate until next Tuesday.

“I had my first one this morning. I was lucky to get in early, but the good thing is that we have no symptoms,” Mr Nguyen said.

“But the business will be closed for the 14-day period. We’ll be doing a deep clean and sanitising so we can open to the public again.”

The latest hammer blow comes as Mr Nguyen estimates his two businesses have so far lost a combined $400,000 in the five lockdowns.

“This will take a long time to make up those losses,” he said.

“More than ever, all local businesses need the support of local residents now.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Good library reads

    Good library reads

    How We Relate: A psychologist’s guide to building and maintaining good relationships by Dr Ahona Guha (Scribe, 2026) Understanding relationships isn’t just about other people—it starts with understanding yourself and…

  • Salvos need help to help

    Salvos need help to help

    ALMOST nine in 10 parents going without food so kids can eat and more than one third can’t afford doctors for kids and a shocking one in five say their…

  • Clothing donation drive call out

    Clothing donation drive call out

    THRIFT project In Rotation has put out a call for clothing donations ready for a second life. The donation drive will fill bags to send to remote op shops across…

  • National viticulture seminar returns

    National viticulture seminar returns

    MILDURA will next week welcome the return of a highly requested grape growers seminar aimed at strengthening growers’ long-term performance. The National Viticulture Seminar is organised by the Australian Society…

  • Budget impact on wine industry

    Budget impact on wine industry

    A CRITICAL opportunity for the Federal Government to support an orderly transition in the wine sector and minimise impacts on regional communities has been missed, according to Australian Grape and…

  • Lambing program yields productive results

    Lambing program yields productive results

    LATEST results from an on-farm Mallee demonstration have shown promising results for sheep producers looking to improve flock reproductive performance. The More Northern Mallee Lambs program recently wrapped up its…

  • The Rubens bring concert to carpark

    The Rubens bring concert to carpark

    IN a first for Australian alternative rock band The Rubens, their one night only gig in Mildura will be in a carpark. Lead singer Sam Margin said the last time…

  • Ready for the plunge

    Ready for the plunge

    CROWDS are expected to flock to the Imperial’s roost at oval three today as the region steps up for its third annual Mildura Big Freeze. The community driven event is…

  • Steam, stories and settlement spirit At Chaffey Festival

    Steam, stories and settlement spirit At Chaffey Festival

    FROM steam-powered farming innovation to rare archival footage, this year’s Chaffey Festival brings Mildura’s pioneering past to life. Hosted by the Chaffey Trail Reference Group and running from Wednesday 27…

  • Bail refused ram raid accused

    Bail refused ram raid accused

    THE alleged driver of a vehicle responsible for a ram raid at Titto’s Store earlier this week has been refused bail. The Mildura Magistrate’s Court heard Zach Whitelegg attended the…