Mildura’s Grand Hotel business ‘poleaxed’ by COVID lockdowns

ONE of Mildura’s iconic businesses has been “poleaxed” to the point where its owner has feared having to shut its doors for good after the fourth lockdown in the past 15 months.

The 130-year-old Mildura Grand Hotel has been bleeding tens of thousands of dollars a day under the strict lockdowns, forcing most of the staff to be laid off amid hundreds of accommodation and function cancellations.

Sunraysia Daily can reveal the devastating toll the lockdowns have taken on the Grand Hotel, which opened in 1891 as the “Mildura Coffee Palace”.

Heading into the latest lockdown, the 100-room four-star hotel – which also has nine function rooms – had an expected 90 per cent occupancy rate last week.

However, this crashed down to just 2 per cent after the lockdown was announced.

Making matters worse, 20 functions — which would have hosted up to 120 people at some of the get-togethers – were cancelled.

It has left the hotel’s managing director, Baljinder Sandhu, pleading with the State Government to completely lift restrictions for regional Victoria later this week.

“We haven’t had a (COVID-19) case here for the last 13 months, so why can’t it be business as usual again?” Mr Sandhu said on Tuesday.

“Even if there’s a ring of steel around Melbourne, at least we can have people from Adelaide, Sydney and regional Victoria travel here.

“The government doesn’t seem to understand how much regional businesses have been suffering in the lockdowns. I’ve gone from 40 staff (before COVID-19) down to five now.

“Some weeks I’ve wondered if we’d have to close for good, it’s been that tough.”

Acting Premier James Merlino indicated on Tuesday there would be a “further easing” of restrictions in regional Victoria later this week.

However, he said Melburnians would be unable to travel to regional Victoria over the Queen’s Birthday long weekend.

“We absolutely want to run (COVID) into the ground and ensure that there’s no risk of this spreading out into regional Victoria,” Mr Merlino said.

As compensation for the latest lockdown, the government is offering grants of up to $3500 for businesses.

But Mr Sandhu said this “wouldn’t come close” to the hotel’s losses.

“I think it’s a joke,” he said.

“I lose that much money in a few hours, let alone a whole week of lockdown.”

He said that as a “prime product” and “the face of Mildura”, there was “a lot at stake” for his business.

“We have plans to renovate further, but it’s tough to do when you can’t fully open your business,” Mr Sandhu said.

Digital Editions


  • Musics best play Regfest

    Musics best play Regfest

    COUNTRY music is big in Sunraysia. And festival organisers Event People Australia, along with the Mildura Rural City Council, are capitalising on this by bringing…

More News

  • Living healthy

    Living healthy

    NEW items are constantly being added to our collection at the library. The following titles, covering a range of subjects, may be of interest to you. Cheese Magic Erika Kubick…

  • We found unity in extreme tragedy

    We found unity in extreme tragedy

    MY name is John Cortese. I was principal of Red Cliffs Secondary College from 1997 to 2008. It is completely understandable that this 20-year anniversary would stir so much emotion.…

  • Road safety is key

    Road safety is key

    Jade Benham Member for Mildura WHILE some may say the last 20 years have flown, for those affected by the Cardross Tragedy, every day has been a painful reminder of…

  • Longest Lunch Launched

    Longest Lunch Launched

    ROTARY Mildura Deakin are excited to announce the return of Mildura’s Longest Lunch on Friday 20 March, commencing at 12:00pm. Event Coordinator Tim Aldridge said the Longest Lunch had become…

  • Irish charm to hit Sunraysia

    Irish charm to hit Sunraysia

    IRELAND: The Voyage, which comes to Mildura Arts Centre on Thursday 26 February, is more than just a song and dance about Irish folklore. It’s a celebration of Ireland’s history…

  • Fencing reviews recommended

    Fencing reviews recommended

    FARMERS affected by the recent bushfires are being encouraged to review their infrastructure layout before re-establishing traditional fencing. For many fire-affected farmers, the rebuilding process provides the opportunity to establish…

  • New growth at grains conference

    New growth at grains conference

    THE next generation of farming practices is set to be on full display at Yarrawonga’s upcoming grains conference. The annual Grains Conference by Victorian Farmers Federation is a two-day event…

  • New manager for private hospital

    New manager for private hospital

    MILDURA Health Private Hospital has a new executive general manager. Sharita Ram, who has extensive clinical, operational, and executive leadership experience with private health and aged care, commenced her role…

  • Hay, check for weeds

    Hay, check for weeds

    DROUGHT and bushfire affected farmers are being encouraged to check their fodder deliveries for aggressive weeds that continue to threaten the State. The top concern is the parthenium weed, Parthenium…

  • Karly comes home for cancer concert

    Karly comes home for cancer concert

    WENTWORTH singer-songwriter, Karly Jewell, is on her way home to play at the 2026 Concert for Cancer Research at the Wentworth Showgrounds on Saturday, 7 March. Jewell, who has released…