Sunraysia cafes brace for second lockdown

RESTAURANTS and cafes across Sunraysia are preparing for a second lockdown on Thursday.

Under the restrictions, restaurants and cafes will be open only for takeaway and delivery.

For Ricky Wilson, the lockdown will be a baptism of fire in an industry that has been hit hard by the coronavirus.

Mr Wilson opened his cafe, Cafe 126, in Mildura on July 20.

He said the business had been faring better than expected since opening, given the pandemic.

Mr Wilson said although he understood why the lockdown was necessary in Victoria’s fight against the virus, Sunday’s announcement was still a shock.

“When they made the announcement, I was a bit scared for a while,” he said.

“But I just thought about how we could adapt and do takeaway and delivery and keep pushing on.”

With takeaway already a popular option at the cafe and delivery now available, Mr Wilson said he was determined to keep his business open.

“I’m also going to be offer meal prep, so healthy frozen and fresh meals for people who can’t get to the gym during the lockdown,” he said.

“If worst comes to worst, I’ll do everything myself just to get through the next six weeks.

“I would hate to shut the doors before 12 months went past.”

Mildura Food Group director Ryan Casey is preparing for a frustrating deja vu.

Mr Casey manages Stefano’s Cafe, The Spanish Grill and The Bistro, the latter two again closing their doors.

He said while Stefano’s Cafe would still be open for takeaway, the next six weeks would be tough.

“I have a feeling it’s going to be harder this time,” he said.

“We’ve got the added problem of the border being closed, which has already impacted our business hugely.

“I guess the good thing is we know what to do this time.”

Mr Casey said it would be heartbreaking to cut down staff hours again, but understood why the lockdown was implemented.

He said as well as offering takeaway food and beverages, the cafe’s deli would continue to operate with a larger range of products and takeaway dinners also being considered.

“Hopefully if we get through six weeks with no cases we can reopen with less restrictions,” he said.

“But I just don’t think that will be the case.”

Digital Editions


  • Fine for hindering police

    Fine for hindering police

    A MAN has been fined $750 for refusing to give his name and address to police after being pulled over. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard…

More News

  • Two months jail for DV pest

    Two months jail for DV pest

    A MAN who was given “one more chance” last year and bailed after facing court for falsely imprisoning a female while on bail, as well as repeated breaches of intervention…

  • Wenty council to fund Ruby repairs

    Wenty council to fund Ruby repairs

    WENTWORTH Shire councillors have agreed to provide a historic paddle steamer with $50,000 maintenance budget to spare the vessel from degradation. In the most recent ordinary meeting, Wentworth Shire Council…

  • Icon artist awarded

    Icon artist awarded

    An Iconic local sign painter and motorcycle enthusiast has received the region’s top artist award. Terry “Moose” McGowan is renowned in the region for designing and painting some of the…

  • New movie nights features most loved films

    New movie nights features most loved films

    MILDURA’S movie lovers will have the chance to experience iconic films as they were meant to be seen in the Wallis Cinema’s latest cinema appreciation. A new Loved on Letterboxd…

  • Ribbon cut on new kinder

    Ribbon cut on new kinder

    HENDERSON College officially unveiled it’s new Early Learning Centre on Wednesday, with the aim of offering long day care and an integrated kindergarten program for children aged three to five…

  • What’s on this weekend?

    What’s on this weekend?

    FRIDAY Vista Views Mildura Arts Centre FROM its iconic exterior to the intricate details within, discover how artists have captured the spirit, history and charm of the Rio Vista Historic…

  • Good behaviour bod for repeated breaches

    Good behaviour bod for repeated breaches

    A MAN has pleaded guilty to multiple breaches of a full no-contact intervention order after he made 79 calls to the protected person in less than two months. The Mildura…

  • Pressure grows for water inquiry

    Pressure grows for water inquiry

    THE New South Wales Government has backed calls by an independent member of State Parliament for a royal commission into water management. Member for Murray, Helen Dalton, called on the…

  • Arrest following police pursuit

    Arrest following police pursuit

    A MAN has been arrested following a pursuit in Mildura’s main streets on Monday night. Police alleged a man drove a white utility ute to Deakin Avenue about 8.30pm before…

  • Upgrades planned for remote uni campus

    Upgrades planned for remote uni campus

    A CAMPUS of Federation University in a remote corner of New South Wales is about to get an overhaul. Known as Nanya Research Station, the site lies in the far…