Mildura caravan park hopes for holiday bookings

A MILDURA caravan park manager says it is difficult to gauge whether many people are travelling from Melbourne to Mildura for the school holidays.

The Palms Caravan Park managers Jane and Allan Hill have experienced a decline in the number of people using their services since COVID-19 restrictions were put in place.

But, just as things were starting to improve, cases of the virus again spiked in Melbourne.

Mrs Hill said most of the customers they were seeing were grey nomads who had travelled from Broken Hill or Echuca.

She said it would be difficult to tell whether people were travelling from areas of Melbourne strongly impacted by the virus.

“It’s a pretty hard one,” she said.

“You can ask where they come from and if they’re honest they’ll tell you.”

Mrs Hill speculated that if someone was travelling from one of Melbourne’s hardest-hit suburbs they may not been keen to disclose this information.

Earlier this week, news surfaced that Melburnians were being denied accommodation at certain caravan parks due to COVID-19 fears.

Some caravan parks along the Great Ocean Road have now back-flipped on this decision, according to news.com.au, and are allowing people from suburbs such as Hume, Casey, Brimbank, Moreland, Cardinia and Darebin to retain their accommodation bookings.

According to the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) website, there are no restrictions on statewide travel and people can stay in tourist accommodation for as long as they would like.

The DHHS website also indicates communal facilities such as kitchens, showers and toilets are now open.

Mrs Hill said regular cleaning of communal services took place at the Palms Caravan Park.

She said the couple were staying optimistic about the current restrictions and border lockdowns.

“Well, what can you do?” she said.

“You’ve just got to go with the flow. It’d be great if the borders did reopen, we’d probably get some more people.”

The SA border is scheduled to reopen on July 20 but if Victoria does not regain control of the virus this is unlikely to happen.

In the meantime, Mr and Mrs Hill are happy to still have their permanent residents and two to three caravans coming to the park each night.

“We’re hoping (the SA border) will reopen,” Mrs Hill said.

“But every state has a duty of care to look after their state.”

For more information on travel and restrictions in Victoria, visit www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/travel-restrictions-covid-19.

Digital Editions


  • We found unity in extreme tragedy

    We found unity in extreme tragedy

    MY name is John Cortese. I was principal of Red Cliffs Secondary College from 1997 to 2008. It is completely understandable that this 20-year anniversary…

More News

  • Fencing reviews recommended

    Fencing reviews recommended

    FARMERS affected by the recent bushfires are being encouraged to review their infrastructure layout before re-establishing traditional fencing. For many fire-affected farmers, the rebuilding process provides the opportunity to establish…

  • New growth at grains conference

    New growth at grains conference

    THE next generation of farming practices is set to be on full display at Yarrawonga’s upcoming grains conference. The annual Grains Conference by Victorian Farmers Federation is a two-day event…

  • New manager for private hospital

    New manager for private hospital

    MILDURA Health Private Hospital has a new executive general manager. Sharita Ram, who has extensive clinical, operational, and executive leadership experience with private health and aged care, commenced her role…

  • Hay, check for weeds

    Hay, check for weeds

    DROUGHT and bushfire affected farmers are being encouraged to check their fodder deliveries for aggressive weeds that continue to threaten the State. The top concern is the parthenium weed, Parthenium…

  • Karly comes home for cancer concert

    Karly comes home for cancer concert

    WENTWORTH singer-songwriter, Karly Jewell, is on her way home to play at the 2026 Concert for Cancer Research at the Wentworth Showgrounds on Saturday, 7 March. Jewell, who has released…

  • Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    WEDNESDAY 18 February was the 20 year anniversary of the Cardross Tragedy, an event that left an indelible mark on a small community and Sunraysia at large. The events of…

  • Fine for hindering police

    Fine for hindering police

    A MAN has been fined $750 for refusing to give his name and address to police after being pulled over. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 30-year-old John Lanumata was driving…

  • Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    CONTINUAL cost-shifting onto municipalities is unsustainable and should sit with the responsible body, according to Local Government NSW. During the week the New South Wales State Government announced proposals for…

  • Young Carter gets a lift

    Young Carter gets a lift

    TEN-year-old Carter Hodges and his family no longer have to take two cars if they want to all travel together. Carter was born with cerebral palsy and has a global…

  • Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    A YOUNG woman has pleaded guilty to trafficking drugs of dependence. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 23-year-old Rory Evans had been in a relationship with a 28-year-old co-accused when police…