Shattered dreams after Hotondo Homes Mildura collapse

UP to 40 building sub-contractors could be out of pocket and property owners left with incomplete homes following the collapse of the Hotondo Homes Mildura franchise.

Liquidators have been appointed to the company this week following a decision on Tuesday to wind up the franchise leaving home owners in a state of limbo.

Some owners are still waiting for work to be finished almost 20 months after signing up for the Mildura franchise to build what was meant to be their their dream homes, but say they have instead been left with false promises and shoddy workmanship.

Mathew Gollant, from insolvency and forensic accountants Courtney Jones & Associates, said on Wednesday that while “only a handful” of home-owners would be impacted by the collapse it was “still a cause for concern for those people”.

Mr Gollant said the firm was now in the process of notifying affected property owners, sub-contractors and suppliers.

“The business isn’t going to be reopening so the homeowners are the ones that we focus on initially,” Mr Gollant said.

“In these situations … they need to take some steps now to protect their interests and we’ll be notifying them in the next 24 hours and then the general creditors at a later date,” he said.

The front door of Hotondo Homes Mildura on Wednesday. Picture: Carmel Zaccone
The front door of Hotondo Homes Mildura on Wednesday. Picture: Carmel Zaccone

Mr Gollant said he would not anticipate home owners to be left out of pocket due to the Victorian Managed Insurance Authority (VMIA) personal investment protection scheme.

“If the pricing of the jobs was appropriate they shouldn’t suffer a loss,” he said.

“The VMIA policy is there to protect them, and hopefully they achieve a satisfactory outcome without any significant loss other than the worry and concern that comes with a builder going broke half way through a project.

“If they secure another builder to come in and complete the job there is a mechanism that allows for some increase in the cost of doing that because of someone else having to take over somebody else’s work.

“Provided the work was quoted at a reasonable price that shouldn’t be an issue … but it will come down to specific site circumstances on each property and at what stage the project is at.

“That said, I’ve done other builders before where they went in too cheap and no-one could have done the job for the price that they quoted — (but) I don’t know the extent of it, it’s early days and I’m not at that stage by any means.”

However, Mr Gollant said there was no similar scheme for sub-contractors.

“Unless contractors have their own credit insurance, which is expensive, they will unlikely see a recovery at this point in time,” he said.

“There’s probably in the order of about 30 or 40 different companies or small businesses and sole traders, but I’m yet to get all those details.

“At this stage they will suffer a loss.”

Dream now a nightmare

A MILDURA mother says what should have been an “exciting milestone” building her first new home was the most stressful time of her life which left the family broke and living in an unfinished house.

The woman, who did not want to be named, said she signed a contract with the Mildura franchise of Hotondo Homes in March last year and works are still yet to be completed.

She said that in the time she and her partner waited for the house to be built they had a baby and spent their life savings just to stay afloat.

The woman took to Facebook to highlight her concerns over the manner in which her home slowly came to life over about 20 months.

“All we get is excuses of delays because of ‘manufacture problems’, ‘shortage of workers’, ‘delay in materials’. Why aren’t materials being ordered in advance?” she lamented earlier this year.

“We are heart broken and stressed.

“This has been the worst, most stressful time of our lives and a horrible experience.

“Our first home should be an exciting milestone that we worked hard to achieve.”

Digital Editions


  • Refreshing restart for wellbeing week

    Refreshing restart for wellbeing week

    MALLEE’S Community Wellbeing Week has returned for another year, growing into a full six-day program for the community. Events for the week have been scheduled…

More News

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…

  • Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    THANK goodness the SFNL senior footy game between Merbein and Red Cliffs was a great, nail-biting 10-point win for the Magpies out at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, as the…

  • Teachers strike pay deal

    Teachers strike pay deal

    VICTORIAN teachers have reached an agreement with the state government that will increase pay to $151,419 by 2029. The latest in-principle agreement was announced on Friday afternoon after two weeks…

  • Golf round-up from across the region

    Golf round-up from across the region

    Coomealla Coomealla Golf Club Coming Events: Wednesday 20/05/26- Stableford. Friday 22/05/26 –9-Hole Medley Stableford. Saturday 23/05/26 – Par. Sunday 24/05/26 –18-hole and 9-hole Medley Stableford. Competition Results Wednesday Men 13/05/26…

  • Fatal turn to car theft

    Fatal turn to car theft

    THREE Mildura teenagers were involved in a fatal vehicle crash near Woosang on Saturday morning. A 14-year-old boy was declared deceased at the scene, while the 18-year-old driver and his…

  • Men’s masterclass in glass

    Men’s masterclass in glass

    DARETON’s Allan Taylor is a very creative man. Amongst painting and photography, he is a skilled glass artist and is bringing his marble, paper weight and bead making equipment and…

  • Wenty funds skin truck’s return

    Wenty funds skin truck’s return

    WENTWORTH Shire Council has supplied its share of a $33,000 fund to bring the Mildura Base Public Hospital’s Skin Check Truck over the river. The WSC will cover one third…

  • Best foot forward for autism

    Best foot forward for autism

    MUM-of-three Lex Valentich has been tracking her daily steps throughout May in a journey to raise awareness of the realities of autism and celebrate children on the spectrum. Her five-year-old…

  • Farmers focused on roads

    Farmers focused on roads

    FARMERS are optimistic following the latest Federal Budget’s $10.7 billion fuel and fertiliser package, but say more is needed to support the movement of supply chains. The fuel reserve and…