Regional Victoria rules will ease ‘if and when it is safe’

REGIONAL Victoria may eventually follow a different set of coronavirus restrictions to areas where community transmission is high, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has flagged.

Restrictions across the state were tightened at the weekend following an increase in COVID-19 cases.

In announcing the changes, Mr Andrews left open the possibility of regional areas being eased ahead of others.

“We will, if and when it is safe, reopen those communities perhaps with a different set of rules,” Mr Andrews said on Saturday.

On Sunday, 19 new Victorian cases were announced, after Saturday’s 25 new cases prompted changes to the state’s restrictions.

From Monday, only five visitors will be allowed at Victorian homes.

Outside the home, families and friends can meet in groups up to 10.

Restaurants, pubs, auction halls, community halls, libraries, museums and places of worship, which were set for increased patronage, will all stay at a maximum of 20 people in any one space until July 12.

Businesses that were set to open on Monday like gyms, cinemas, theatres and TABs can do so, but only with a maximum of 20 people.

Member for Mildura Ali Cupper said in a statement the setback for Victoria’s easing showed how quickly things can change with the deadly virus.

“Thankfully, businesses like cinemas, gyms, museums and theatres will still be able to reopen on Monday,” Ms Cupper said.

“And importantly – especially for the small-town pubs in my electorate – the need for a meal with a drink is still being lifted.

“It was encouraging to hear Premier Andrews say the government has left the door open for tailored changes to the way restrictions are lifted and there is a possibility of applying restrictions in a geographical sense.

“That could see regional Victorian areas like ours, where there have been no active cases of the coronavirus in a long time, having restrictions eased more quickly.

“I will not pressure Premier Andrews or the government to do anything potentially unsafe, however I will be pushing for them to work with health officials to do whatever possible to lift restrictions in regional areas like ours safely and as soon as possible.

“It is important for us to realise these regressive steps have been deemed necessary by health officials and we need to continue to follow all the rules and regulations in place – for our own safety and for the safety of our community.”

Mr Andrews said about half of Victoria’s cases since the end of April had come from transmission inside someone’s home.

Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Professor Brett Sutton said there had been more than 100 new cases in the past seven days and the “main cause” was people not following advice about physical distancing, hygiene and limiting visitors.

“We have been very successful so far in avoiding the worst consequences of this disease and we cannot let our good work so far go to waste,” Prof Sutton said.

“The message is clear – don’t take this disease lightly – stay home, don’t go to work if you can work from home, don’t visit friends and family, don’t go on holiday.”

Digital Editions


  • Refreshing restart for wellbeing week

    Refreshing restart for wellbeing week

    MALLEE’S Community Wellbeing Week has returned for another year, growing into a full six-day program for the community. Events for the week have been scheduled…

More News

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…

  • Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    THANK goodness the SFNL senior footy game between Merbein and Red Cliffs was a great, nail-biting 10-point win for the Magpies out at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, as the…

  • Teachers strike pay deal

    Teachers strike pay deal

    VICTORIAN teachers have reached an agreement with the state government that will increase pay to $151,419 by 2029. The latest in-principle agreement was announced on Friday afternoon after two weeks…

  • Golf round-up from across the region

    Golf round-up from across the region

    Coomealla Coomealla Golf Club Coming Events: Wednesday 20/05/26- Stableford. Friday 22/05/26 –9-Hole Medley Stableford. Saturday 23/05/26 – Par. Sunday 24/05/26 –18-hole and 9-hole Medley Stableford. Competition Results Wednesday Men 13/05/26…

  • Fatal turn to car theft

    Fatal turn to car theft

    THREE Mildura teenagers were involved in a fatal vehicle crash near Woosang on Saturday morning. A 14-year-old boy was declared deceased at the scene, while the 18-year-old driver and his…

  • Men’s masterclass in glass

    Men’s masterclass in glass

    DARETON’s Allan Taylor is a very creative man. Amongst painting and photography, he is a skilled glass artist and is bringing his marble, paper weight and bead making equipment and…

  • Wenty funds skin truck’s return

    Wenty funds skin truck’s return

    WENTWORTH Shire Council has supplied its share of a $33,000 fund to bring the Mildura Base Public Hospital’s Skin Check Truck over the river. The WSC will cover one third…

  • Best foot forward for autism

    Best foot forward for autism

    MUM-of-three Lex Valentich has been tracking her daily steps throughout May in a journey to raise awareness of the realities of autism and celebrate children on the spectrum. Her five-year-old…

  • Farmers focused on roads

    Farmers focused on roads

    FARMERS are optimistic following the latest Federal Budget’s $10.7 billion fuel and fertiliser package, but say more is needed to support the movement of supply chains. The fuel reserve and…