Sunraysia cafes brace for second lockdown

RESTAURANTS and cafes across Sunraysia are preparing for a second lockdown on Thursday.

Under the restrictions, restaurants and cafes will be open only for takeaway and delivery.

For Ricky Wilson, the lockdown will be a baptism of fire in an industry that has been hit hard by the coronavirus.

Mr Wilson opened his cafe, Cafe 126, in Mildura on July 20.

He said the business had been faring better than expected since opening, given the pandemic.

Mr Wilson said although he understood why the lockdown was necessary in Victoria’s fight against the virus, Sunday’s announcement was still a shock.

“When they made the announcement, I was a bit scared for a while,” he said.

“But I just thought about how we could adapt and do takeaway and delivery and keep pushing on.”

With takeaway already a popular option at the cafe and delivery now available, Mr Wilson said he was determined to keep his business open.

“I’m also going to be offer meal prep, so healthy frozen and fresh meals for people who can’t get to the gym during the lockdown,” he said.

“If worst comes to worst, I’ll do everything myself just to get through the next six weeks.

“I would hate to shut the doors before 12 months went past.”

Mildura Food Group director Ryan Casey is preparing for a frustrating deja vu.

Mr Casey manages Stefano’s Cafe, The Spanish Grill and The Bistro, the latter two again closing their doors.

He said while Stefano’s Cafe would still be open for takeaway, the next six weeks would be tough.

“I have a feeling it’s going to be harder this time,” he said.

“We’ve got the added problem of the border being closed, which has already impacted our business hugely.

“I guess the good thing is we know what to do this time.”

Mr Casey said it would be heartbreaking to cut down staff hours again, but understood why the lockdown was implemented.

He said as well as offering takeaway food and beverages, the cafe’s deli would continue to operate with a larger range of products and takeaway dinners also being considered.

“Hopefully if we get through six weeks with no cases we can reopen with less restrictions,” he said.

“But I just don’t think that will be the case.”

Digital Editions


  • MFNL women down to four after Roo exit

    MFNL women down to four after Roo exit

    THE Millewa Football Netball League women’s competition will continue this season despite the withdrawal of the Meringur team due to a lack of numbers. One…

More News

  • Roos to rule in Red Cliffs

    Roos to rule in Red Cliffs

    WENTWORTH A Grade netball team is placed third on the Sunraysia Football Netball League ladder for a reason. They have lost one game against ladder leaders, Mildura, by one goal,…

  • Demons to tame doggies at the Precinct

    Demons to tame doggies at the Precinct

    THE South Mildura A Grade netballers face a tough task in quenching the Demons’ fire at the Mildura Sporting Precinct on Saturday. Mildura had a seven-goal win against Ouyen United…

  • Recycling facility opens at Buronga

    Recycling facility opens at Buronga

    RECYCLABLE and reusable items can now be dropped off before the weighbridge at Buronga Landfill, allowing residents to reduce their waste disposal fees. The Wentworth Shire Council announced that the…

  • Volunteers spread musical cheer

    Volunteers spread musical cheer

    NATIONAL Volunteer Week runs until Sunday, 24 May, with the theme ’Your Year to Volunteer’, aiming to highlight contributions of people already helping in the community, and encourage new volunteers…

  • Catholic schools’ mass congregation

    Catholic schools’ mass congregation

    STUDENTS from six Mildura catholic schools recently gathered at St Joseph’s College stadium in the region’s annual Catholic Education Week mass. The annual mass has been running for more than…

  • Painters, pop stars and pirouettes at MAC

    Painters, pop stars and pirouettes at MAC

    PARENTS and friends didn’t have to wait until the Mildura Ballet and Dance Guild’s end-of-year performance to see their children pirouette, tap, jazz, and arabesque their way across the stage.…

  • Referee course at home

    Referee course at home

    A NEW course has opened up for Mildura football enthusiasts following the growing demand for local referees in regional areas. Football Victoria is encouraging anyone 13 and older to join…

  • Wenty welcomes RSL hub

    Wenty welcomes RSL hub

    WENTWORTH RSL Sub-branch has finally claimed a new home for the first time in its more than 100 year history. The RSL sub-branch has been supporting local defence force members…

  • Young volunteers vital to regional communities

    Young volunteers vital to regional communities

    FOR Scarlett Elliott of Red Cliffs, volunteering began with a simple desire to connect with people and be part of something bigger than herself. Now the 26-year-old works across local…

  • Bond for slow driver

    Bond for slow driver

    A DRIVER who failed to stop at police direction after being observed driving 20km/h in an 60km/h zone has had her licence disqualified for 12 months. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court…