Victorian Government ‘drunk on power’, says Quilty

MEMBER for Northern Victoria Tim Quilty has accused the Victorian Government of being “drunk on the power” as it pushes to extend its state of emergency by a maximum of 12 months to combat the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

And Opposition Leader Michael O’Brien said the state coalition would vehemently oppose a long-term extension that would allow the government to unilaterally keep Victoria locked down.

The state had 15 more deaths on Monday, the number of new cases plummeted to 116 – the lowest it has been since 74 on July 5.

That was also the last time the number was under 100.

Premier Daniel Andrews said the state of emergency would be reviewed every four weeks, but parliament must approve the change.

As the legislation stands, the state of emergency can only run for six months.

That runs out on September 13, when Melbourne’s stage-four lockdown is due to end and regional Victoria is also scheduled to come out of stage-three rules.

“I would love nothing more for there to be no need for any rules on September 14, but I don’t think that is the reality,” Mr Andrews said.

Mr O’Brien is willing to support intermittent extensions every four weeks as required, but only if they come before parliament.

“The alternative would be a strictly time-limited small extension with accountability, with checks, with balances to make sure the civil liberties of Victorians aren’t being unnecessarily abused,” he said.

“We have to be sure that any extension of these extraordinary powers is justified and how can we be sure about that unless the parliament sits.”

Liberal Democrats Member Tim Quilty said he would fight Mr Andrews’ attempts to extend emergency powers for 12 months.

“The emergency powers are being used to control the Victorian people,” Mr Quilty said.

“Instead of using persuasion and common sense, the Government has gotten drunk on the power they have to force compliance.

“Our communities are being smashed, small business owners are going under, students are suffering disrupted educations and mental health and wellbeing are being completely ignored.

“And for what?

“Our civil liberties have been steadily eaten away and the Andrews Government proudly tells us we are to suffer even more.

“Enough is enough.”

Mr Quilty said the message to the Premier will be simple. “No. No more. It has to stop. I don’t trust you with these powers.”

The original state of emergency was declared in March as Victoria’s first outbreak struck and has been extended six times.

The state of emergency is separate to the state of disaster declared on August 2.

Digital Editions


  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with…

More News

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…

  • Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    THANK goodness the SFNL senior footy game between Merbein and Red Cliffs was a great, nail-biting 10-point win for the Magpies out at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, as the…

  • Teachers strike pay deal

    Teachers strike pay deal

    VICTORIAN teachers have reached an agreement with the state government that will increase pay to $151,419 by 2029. The latest in-principle agreement was announced on Friday afternoon after two weeks…

  • Golf round-up from across the region

    Golf round-up from across the region

    Coomealla Coomealla Golf Club Coming Events: Wednesday 20/05/26- Stableford. Friday 22/05/26 –9-Hole Medley Stableford. Saturday 23/05/26 – Par. Sunday 24/05/26 –18-hole and 9-hole Medley Stableford. Competition Results Wednesday Men 13/05/26…

  • Fatal turn to car theft

    Fatal turn to car theft

    THREE Mildura teenagers were involved in a fatal vehicle crash near Woosang on Saturday morning. A 14-year-old boy was declared deceased at the scene, while the 18-year-old driver and his…

  • Men’s masterclass in glass

    Men’s masterclass in glass

    DARETON’s Allan Taylor is a very creative man. Amongst painting and photography, he is a skilled glass artist and is bringing his marble, paper weight and bead making equipment and…