The Vinelander axed leaving no train service between Mildura and Melbourne

Originally published September 14, 1993

THE Sunraysia community was stunned to learn that its regular passenger train service between Mildura and Melbourne — The Vinelander — had been axed.

When the train left the Mildura platform for the last time, not even Transport Minister Alan Brown was aware of its impending demise.

Passengers waiting for the return Melbourne to Mildura leg at Spencer Street Station claimed to have been told by Public Transport Corporation (PTC) staff that a landslide at Ballarat was the reason behind the return service cancellation.

They said luggage had already been loaded onto The Vinelander but were instead ushered on to a coach for the return journey.

The axing had been mooted earlier in 1993 during the Jeff Kennett/Coalition Government reign, prompting the formation of the Save the Vinelander Action Group (STVAG) which fought to retain the district’s only passenger rail service.

In July 1993, the Victorian Premier was told that his Transport Minister has ignored a request for a meeting with the STVAG.

STVAG convenor Fr Dan Murphy said the case for retaining the train was based on sound economic and social equity grounds but Mr Brown had not replied to a request to meet a small delegation from STVAG.

STVAG attacked PTC figures which showed an average of only 60 passengers for each journey of The Vinelander since the renewed campaign to save the train.

Sunraysia Daily figures for the same period showed an average of 87 passengers for each journey.

Community leaders responded to the axing with shock and surprise at the “appalling” decision, branding it as a “total disregard” for the Sunraysia community.

Even the then Transport Minister claimed that he didn’t know the service was earmarked for a premature termination until that Sunday night, a move that was met by surprise and shock by civic leaders.

Just days later, Mr Brown told State Parliament a PTC rail operations manager had concocted the story about the Ballarat mud slide and had been severely reprimanded.

The government issued a press release announcing that new luxury road coaches between Mildura and Melbourne would save Victorian taxpayers $5 million a year.

The government said The Vinelander service was costing it $5.4 million annually, almost $15,000 a day or $84 per passenger.

The axing of The Vinelander weighed heavily on sitting Liberal Party Member for Mildura Craig Bildstein who subsequently lost his seat to Independent Russell Savage whose election campaign was fought largely on fighting for the return of the service.

Savage romped to victory in 1996 and retained his seat in 1999, holding the balance of power with two other Independents.

Labor had promised the return of passenger rail to Mildura and Savage subsequently sided with the Steve Bracks Labor Government, but the proposed timeframe for the train’s return saw delay after delay and the train never returned.

There remains a staunch advocacy for the return of passenger rail to Mildura, however years after the last train rolled out of Mildura, Mr Kennett told Sunraysia Daily the thought of trains taking passengers from Melbourne to Mildura again never crossed his mind.

“Once you remove something, all the infrastructure falls into disrepair and so therefore to replace the track would’ve been very, very expensive,” he said.

“And while there’s been an increase in population, it still hasn’t grown to such an extent that you’re going to be able to justify it economically.

“It would have to be very, very heavily subsidised and I think that’s been the view of every successive government; that it’s just a very costly piece of infrastructure.”

“Did I ever think it was going to be restored? Probably no.”

The end of The Vinelander brought to a close 90 years of passenger rail to Mildura.

The first steam train puffed into the Mildura station on October 3, 1903.

Amid tumultuous celebrations, the then Victorian Governor, Sir George Sydenham Clarke, assured several thousand people at the opening ceremony “there is no line in Victoria which has been so much needed”.

Want to read more about the axing of The Vinelander

Digital Editions


  • Longest Lunch Launched

    Longest Lunch Launched

    ROTARY Mildura Deakin are excited to announce the return of Mildura’s Longest Lunch on Friday 20 March, commencing at 12:00pm. Event Coordinator Tim Aldridge said…

More News

  • New manager for private hospital

    New manager for private hospital

    MILDURA Health Private Hospital has a new executive general manager. Sharita Ram, who has extensive clinical, operational, and executive leadership experience with private health and aged care, commenced her role…

  • Hay, check for weeds

    Hay, check for weeds

    DROUGHT and bushfire affected farmers are being encouraged to check their fodder deliveries for aggressive weeds that continue to threaten the State. The top concern is the parthenium weed, Parthenium…

  • Karly comes home for cancer concert

    Karly comes home for cancer concert

    WENTWORTH singer-songwriter, Karly Jewell, is on her way home to play at the 2026 Concert for Cancer Research at the Wentworth Showgrounds on Saturday, 7 March. Jewell, who has released…

  • Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    WEDNESDAY 18 February was the 20 year anniversary of the Cardross Tragedy, an event that left an indelible mark on a small community and Sunraysia at large. The events of…

  • Fine for hindering police

    Fine for hindering police

    A MAN has been fined $750 for refusing to give his name and address to police after being pulled over. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 30-year-old John Lanumata was driving…

  • Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    CONTINUAL cost-shifting onto municipalities is unsustainable and should sit with the responsible body, according to Local Government NSW. During the week the New South Wales State Government announced proposals for…

  • Young Carter gets a lift

    Young Carter gets a lift

    TEN-year-old Carter Hodges and his family no longer have to take two cars if they want to all travel together. Carter was born with cerebral palsy and has a global…

  • Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    A YOUNG woman has pleaded guilty to trafficking drugs of dependence. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 23-year-old Rory Evans had been in a relationship with a 28-year-old co-accused when police…

  • Airfares inquiry visits Mildura

    Airfares inquiry visits Mildura

    AUSTRALIA’S Productivity Commission calling on the Mildura community to discuss the effects of airfares in organisation’s first regional drop-in event. The Productivity Commission opened its national inquiry in December last…

  • Two months jail for DV pest

    Two months jail for DV pest

    A MAN who was given “one more chance” last year and bailed after facing court for falsely imprisoning a female while on bail, as well as repeated breaches of intervention…