Sunraysia looks forward to Easter events calendar

MILDURA Regional Development (MRD) says it remains optimistic that visitors will be able to enjoy an Easter in Sunraysia “with some style”, albeit with some restrictions in place.

MRD chief executive Brett Millington said he hoped the continued easing of COVID-19 restrictions would enable most of the region’s bumper motorsports weekend events to go ahead, including the Mildura 100 ski race and the popular Show ‘n’ Shine display.

However, Mr Millington said that while a vaccine was the silver bullet to the pandemic, events could still proceed in a modified fashion should the country continue to ward off the pandemic.

He said the return of international arrivals to Melbourne this week would be a key moment in the region enjoying as normal an Easter as possible.

“I hate to use the word optimistic because we’ve gone that way a few times, but it was only a month ago that we were talking about various limitations and then all of a sudden things are going the other way,” Mr Millington said.

“The increasing number of gatherings outside gives me hope that at Easter we will be able to welcome those people and do it with some style.

“Perhaps it wouldn’t be the unfettered numbers that you would normally have at Easter gatherings, but we may be able to work through some of the challenges.”

Mr Millington said he anticipated further easing of restrictions on Sunday after almost 40 days of no new cases and no deaths across Victoria and that the hotel quarantining of return travellers would be an “interesting test”.

“You know that everyone will be watching it very closely,” he said.

“At least it appears that we have eliminated it from our community and, if there are no cases between states, then you don’t have that risk, but that hotel quarantine where you have got people coming in is another matter.”

MRD estimated this year’s Easter cancellation due to COVID-19 cost the local economy $10 million.

Mr Millington said that while hotel and motel accommodation remained low, local caravan parks had picked up the pace.

“After the first wave in Melbourne, people had been in caravans travelling around just to get out of Melbourne, but then they became trapped within Victoria because of all the closures around them,” he said.

“That’s perhaps why we’ve seen a lot more people around than there normally would be.

“They tend to be the longer-term stayers and therefore the drive out of Melbourne I think will be Christmas holidays because they are not going to make a weekend drive to Mildura.

“Clearly Ballarat, Bendigo and everything within a couple of hours’ drive of Melbourne has been heavily populated, but for us around Christmas and into January is where we will probably see more significant stays in terms of hotel accommodation.”

Mr Millington said houseboat holidays had been “well and truly very popular” with some operators booked out until April next year.

Digital Editions


  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with…

More News

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…

  • Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    THANK goodness the SFNL senior footy game between Merbein and Red Cliffs was a great, nail-biting 10-point win for the Magpies out at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, as the…

  • Teachers strike pay deal

    Teachers strike pay deal

    VICTORIAN teachers have reached an agreement with the state government that will increase pay to $151,419 by 2029. The latest in-principle agreement was announced on Friday afternoon after two weeks…

  • Golf round-up from across the region

    Golf round-up from across the region

    Coomealla Coomealla Golf Club Coming Events: Wednesday 20/05/26- Stableford. Friday 22/05/26 –9-Hole Medley Stableford. Saturday 23/05/26 – Par. Sunday 24/05/26 –18-hole and 9-hole Medley Stableford. Competition Results Wednesday Men 13/05/26…

  • Fatal turn to car theft

    Fatal turn to car theft

    THREE Mildura teenagers were involved in a fatal vehicle crash near Woosang on Saturday morning. A 14-year-old boy was declared deceased at the scene, while the 18-year-old driver and his…

  • Men’s masterclass in glass

    Men’s masterclass in glass

    DARETON’s Allan Taylor is a very creative man. Amongst painting and photography, he is a skilled glass artist and is bringing his marble, paper weight and bead making equipment and…