Australian winemakers can look to UK and US, says industry

THE nation’s peak wine industry body has called on Sunraysia’s producers to look at the growing United Kingdom market to fill the void left by China.

Australian Grape and Wine chief executive Tony Battaglene said wineries “will clearly need to diversify more” after China “effectively closed the door to our bottled wine”.

READ MORE: Red Cliffs winery beats the Chinese tariff bottleneck

“The UK, which has just overtaken the United States as our second-biggest export market for wine, is picking up,” he told Sunraysia Daily this week.

“And while the US market is a tough one to crack, there are still opportunities there.”

Mr Battaglene virtually ruled out the prospect of wineries in Australia sending product in bulk containers to avoid the massive tariff slug.

“A lot of people will be looking at it as an option, but there are major risk factors with this,” he said.

“There are intellectual property issues, as well as quality-control and brand issues.

“Our high-value products could potentially be blended with other products when they arrive in China, so that’s why most wineries already package up wines before they are shipped to China.

“So, based on those reasons, China has effectively closed the door to our bottled wine.

“It’ll probably just be the likes of high-end premium bottled wine like Penfolds Grange that will still be exported.”

Latest data shows that Australia sends 39 per cent of its wine exports to China, with the UK and US the next best around the 15 per cent mark.

According to Wine Australia, the value of total exports to China (including Hong Kong and Macau) comprised $1.28 billion. Of that, packaged wine comprised $1.23 billion.

The data reveals that 750ml and 1.5-litre bottles – the primary target of Beijing’s new tariff – made up 94.5 per cent of exports to China.

The tariff – which came into effect on November 28 – follows the preliminary findings of a Chinese anti-dumping investigation into Australia’s wine exports, which found that dumping existed and caused Chinese winemakers “substantial harm”.

China has accused Australian producers of selling wine below the cost of production.

However, a Wine Australia spokeswoman strongly denied this was the case.

“We are confident that Australian wine is not being dumped in the market and that our growers and producers do not benefit from subsidies,” the spokeswoman said.

Mr Battaglene estimates that about 120 of the 2600 wineries around the nation are Chinese-owned.

“But really, we don’t know what the actual number are that are fully or part-owned,” he said.

The Wine Australia spokeswoman added: “There is no accurate data on how many China-owned wineries there are in Australia.

“The Foreign Investment Review Board tracks acquisitions of agricultural land where the cumulative value of a foreign person’s agricultural land holdings exceeds $15 million.

“(But) during COVID-19, the threshold has been reduced to zero (since March).”

Digital Editions


  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with…

More News

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…

  • Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    Tippa turns Tigers topsy turvy

    THANK goodness the SFNL senior footy game between Merbein and Red Cliffs was a great, nail-biting 10-point win for the Magpies out at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, as the…

  • Teachers strike pay deal

    Teachers strike pay deal

    VICTORIAN teachers have reached an agreement with the state government that will increase pay to $151,419 by 2029. The latest in-principle agreement was announced on Friday afternoon after two weeks…

  • Golf round-up from across the region

    Golf round-up from across the region

    Coomealla Coomealla Golf Club Coming Events: Wednesday 20/05/26- Stableford. Friday 22/05/26 –9-Hole Medley Stableford. Saturday 23/05/26 – Par. Sunday 24/05/26 –18-hole and 9-hole Medley Stableford. Competition Results Wednesday Men 13/05/26…

  • Fatal turn to car theft

    Fatal turn to car theft

    THREE Mildura teenagers were involved in a fatal vehicle crash near Woosang on Saturday morning. A 14-year-old boy was declared deceased at the scene, while the 18-year-old driver and his…

  • Men’s masterclass in glass

    Men’s masterclass in glass

    DARETON’s Allan Taylor is a very creative man. Amongst painting and photography, he is a skilled glass artist and is bringing his marble, paper weight and bead making equipment and…