Bring back the ‘ring of steel’, says Ali Cupper

MEMBER for Mildura Ali Cupper has called on the Victorian Government to reinstate the “ring of steel” around Greater Melbourne in the event of an extended lockdown.

Ms Cupper wrote to Health Minister Martin Foley yesterday, stating “for the record” her community’s preferred approach should the lockdown, which is scheduled to end on Friday, be extended beyond seven days.

Her request came as the state recorded three new coronavirus cases, all in Greater Melbourne, on Tuesday.

“Given my electorate has been COVID-free for more than a year, it is our strong view that in the event of an extended lockdown, the most appropriate and proportionate approach would be to reinstate the ‘ring of steel’ around Greater Melbourne,” Ms Cupper wrote in a letter seen by Sunraysia Daily.

“This would help our business community survive and assist with maintaining critical cross-border access to NSW and SA.”

Mildura Mayor Jason Modica said Mildura Council had advocated to both Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews and Prime Minister Scott Morrison for consideration of an easing of restrictions in the region.

“It’s important to respect the lockdown, but if Thursday comes and we still don’t have any cases we really need to be considered as an isolated pocket of Victoria and how we get a consistent national approach to regions that haven’t had cases,” Cr Modica said.

“I’m supportive of looking and as mayor, and also the previous mayor on council, wrote letters to the State and Federal governments looking for that sort of consideration last year and we’ve done that again earlier this year.

“The Murray River Group of Councils have also done the same thing — really talking about that nationally consistent approach so if we don’t have a case we can still tick along with our economy and get our kids off to school and make sure we’re living the best life we can.

“The ring of steel is an option, but also being 400km from Bendigo, how do we implement an easier and more palatable version of working through the COVID problem?”

Cr Modica said the current lockdown restrictions had been “a huge ask from anyone”, especially in regional areas that have been largely COVID-free.

“We’ve been lucky enough to have had a couple of different versions of lockdown, but if we continually see no cases there is going to be a point where the community just shrugs their shoulders and says, ‘We can’t commit to this’,” he said.

“But there’s the proviso that if we have an outbreak, we need to pull our heads into line.

“We haven’t had a case here for more than 12 months now so we very much need to have a more nuanced approach to what we do.”

Digital Editions


  • Fencing reviews recommended

    Fencing reviews recommended

    FARMERS affected by the recent bushfires are being encouraged to review their infrastructure layout before re-establishing traditional fencing. For many fire-affected farmers, the rebuilding process…

More News

  • Karly comes home for cancer concert

    Karly comes home for cancer concert

    WENTWORTH singer-songwriter, Karly Jewell, is on her way home to play at the 2026 Concert for Cancer Research at the Wentworth Showgrounds on Saturday, 7 March. Jewell, who has released…

  • Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    Cardross Tragedy, 20 years on – ‘Remembrance must support healing’

    WEDNESDAY 18 February was the 20 year anniversary of the Cardross Tragedy, an event that left an indelible mark on a small community and Sunraysia at large. The events of…

  • Fine for hindering police

    Fine for hindering police

    A MAN has been fined $750 for refusing to give his name and address to police after being pulled over. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 30-year-old John Lanumata was driving…

  • Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    Levy ‘a cost-shifting exercise’

    CONTINUAL cost-shifting onto municipalities is unsustainable and should sit with the responsible body, according to Local Government NSW. During the week the New South Wales State Government announced proposals for…

  • Young Carter gets a lift

    Young Carter gets a lift

    TEN-year-old Carter Hodges and his family no longer have to take two cars if they want to all travel together. Carter was born with cerebral palsy and has a global…

  • Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    Guilty plea for drug trafficking

    A YOUNG woman has pleaded guilty to trafficking drugs of dependence. The Mildura Magistrates Court heard 23-year-old Rory Evans had been in a relationship with a 28-year-old co-accused when police…

  • Airfares inquiry visits Mildura

    Airfares inquiry visits Mildura

    AUSTRALIA’S Productivity Commission calling on the Mildura community to discuss the effects of airfares in organisation’s first regional drop-in event. The Productivity Commission opened its national inquiry in December last…

  • Two months jail for DV pest

    Two months jail for DV pest

    A MAN who was given “one more chance” last year and bailed after facing court for falsely imprisoning a female while on bail, as well as repeated breaches of intervention…

  • Wenty council to fund Ruby repairs

    Wenty council to fund Ruby repairs

    WENTWORTH Shire councillors have agreed to provide a historic paddle steamer with $50,000 maintenance budget to spare the vessel from degradation. In the most recent ordinary meeting, Wentworth Shire Council…

  • Icon artist awarded

    Icon artist awarded

    An Iconic local sign painter and motorcycle enthusiast has received the region’s top artist award. Terry “Moose” McGowan is renowned in the region for designing and painting some of the…