Mildura’s Grand Hotel business ‘poleaxed’ by COVID lockdowns

ONE of Mildura’s iconic businesses has been “poleaxed” to the point where its owner has feared having to shut its doors for good after the fourth lockdown in the past 15 months.

The 130-year-old Mildura Grand Hotel has been bleeding tens of thousands of dollars a day under the strict lockdowns, forcing most of the staff to be laid off amid hundreds of accommodation and function cancellations.

Sunraysia Daily can reveal the devastating toll the lockdowns have taken on the Grand Hotel, which opened in 1891 as the “Mildura Coffee Palace”.

Heading into the latest lockdown, the 100-room four-star hotel – which also has nine function rooms – had an expected 90 per cent occupancy rate last week.

However, this crashed down to just 2 per cent after the lockdown was announced.

Making matters worse, 20 functions — which would have hosted up to 120 people at some of the get-togethers – were cancelled.

It has left the hotel’s managing director, Baljinder Sandhu, pleading with the State Government to completely lift restrictions for regional Victoria later this week.

“We haven’t had a (COVID-19) case here for the last 13 months, so why can’t it be business as usual again?” Mr Sandhu said on Tuesday.

“Even if there’s a ring of steel around Melbourne, at least we can have people from Adelaide, Sydney and regional Victoria travel here.

“The government doesn’t seem to understand how much regional businesses have been suffering in the lockdowns. I’ve gone from 40 staff (before COVID-19) down to five now.

“Some weeks I’ve wondered if we’d have to close for good, it’s been that tough.”

Acting Premier James Merlino indicated on Tuesday there would be a “further easing” of restrictions in regional Victoria later this week.

However, he said Melburnians would be unable to travel to regional Victoria over the Queen’s Birthday long weekend.

“We absolutely want to run (COVID) into the ground and ensure that there’s no risk of this spreading out into regional Victoria,” Mr Merlino said.

As compensation for the latest lockdown, the government is offering grants of up to $3500 for businesses.

But Mr Sandhu said this “wouldn’t come close” to the hotel’s losses.

“I think it’s a joke,” he said.

“I lose that much money in a few hours, let alone a whole week of lockdown.”

He said that as a “prime product” and “the face of Mildura”, there was “a lot at stake” for his business.

“We have plans to renovate further, but it’s tough to do when you can’t fully open your business,” Mr Sandhu said.

Digital Editions


  • Lambing program yields productive results

    Lambing program yields productive results

    LATEST results from an on-farm Mallee demonstration have shown promising results for sheep producers looking to improve flock reproductive performance. The More Northern Mallee Lambs…

More News

  • Bail refused ram raid accused

    Bail refused ram raid accused

    THE alleged driver of a vehicle responsible for a ram raid at Titto’s Store earlier this week has been refused bail. The Mildura Magistrate’s Court heard Zach Whitelegg attended the…

  • Budget debt in heated debate

    Budget debt in heated debate

    VICTORIA’S operating surplus has become the topic of a heated enquiry following recent committee hearings into the budget estimates. The Victorian Government’s Public Accounts and Estimates Committee have recently launched…

  • Aged care protections too late: Webster

    Aged care protections too late: Webster

    MEMBER for Mallee Anne Webster has said the recently announced protections for aged care consumers is too little too late after Mallee residents are now waiting a reported 295 days…

  • Dig day discoveries at Mildura West

    Dig day discoveries at Mildura West

    PEOPLE driving past Mildura West Primary School on Wednesday might have thought that little diggers had mistaken the sand pit for an archaeological dig in Egypt. However, fossils, bones, artefacts…

  • RSPCA celebrates volunteer milestone

    RSPCA celebrates volunteer milestone

    RSPCA Victoria is celebrating its force of exceptional volunteers this National Volunteer Week (18-24 May) and recognising the essential role they play in animal welfare. As a gesture of thanks…

  • Rex reduction

    Rex reduction

    REX has announced a reduction in its return services between Mildura and Melbourne from 24 to 19 per week as part of a larger restructuring of its Victoria and Tasmania…

  • Eagles to swim it in at Sarah Oval

    Eagles to swim it in at Sarah Oval

    THE Imperials A Grade netball team will have to eat bucketfuls of Weetbix to try and beat Robinvale Euston at the Sarah Oval on Saturday. The Eagles, who are at…

  • Swallows to take flight

    Swallows to take flight

    ROUND seven sees Ouyen United play Irymple in the A Grade Sunraysia Football Netball League clash at Underbool Recreation Reserve on Saturday. It’s fourth versus eighth on the ladder, with…

  • Mildura still top responder

    Mildura still top responder

    MILDURA Ambulance Victoria response times have stayed close to average, reaching code one cases under 15 minutes more than 70 per cent of the time. Mildura’s Local Government Area cases…

  • Thirty cents a beer, I’ll drink to that

    Thirty cents a beer, I’ll drink to that

    PRESENTED by Mildura & District Historical Society Compiled by Mildura Rural City Council Libraries 100 YEARS AGO: 1926 PARCEL: Good progress is being made in the erection of the addition…