Regional NSW lockdown extended as cases spike

THE lockdown in regional New South Wales will continue until August 28, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced on Thursday.

It had been due to finish this weekend, but will now last an extra week, meaning residents of Wentworth and Balranald shires will remain subject to stay-at-home orders.

The extension comes as little surprise to communities in NSW’s regions, as COVID-19 outbreaks continue to grow in Wilcannia, Broken Hill and Dubbo.

In stark contrast to the “live with COVID” approach her government is taking in metropolitan Sydney, Ms Berejiklian said she remained optimistic that the lockdown extension would open up the possibility of stamping out COVID-19 in regional NSW.

“We have the opportunity to get down to zero cases in the regions,” she said.

“That is what we want to achieve, and therefore we take that precaution and response.”

NSW reported a record 681 COVID-19 cases on Thursday. Three additional cases recorded in Wilcannia overnight were to be reported in Friday’s numbers.

Health authorities are urging people in NSW’s far west to come forward for testing as they work to run “deeply concerning” outbreaks in the remote regions to ground.

“We ask all of the population of western NSW to really be very vigilant for symptoms, to come forward for testing,” NSW Deputy Chief Health Officer Marianne Gale said.

“We are very concerned about the risk of community transmission in Wilcannia, and we call on anyone who has been in or near Wilcannia in recent days to please get tested.”

Meanwhile, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews flagged the possibility of further tightening border restrictions should the outbreak north of Mildura worsen and there was “seeding further south right into southern NSW”.

“Then there’s every chance that we would look to go even further,” he said.

“Those border communities, as much as it’s difficult to live under these conditions, the last thing you want is this virus getting into those regional communities.”

Far West Local Health District is operating drive-through COVID-19 testing clinics at the following locations from 10am-4pm daily until further notice:

  • Dareton – George Gordon Oval
  • Gol Gol – Gol Gol Football Oval, off Carramar Drive
  • Wentworth – Wentworth Show Grounds
  • Balranald – Greenham Park Hall
  • Ivanhoe – Sports Ground
  • Menindee – Menindee Oval, entry through Perry Street
  • White Cliffs – White Cliffs Sporting Club, entry through Ethel Street
  • Wilcannia – Wilcannia Oval

Digital Editions


  • Good library reads

    Good library reads

    How We Relate: A psychologist’s guide to building and maintaining good relationships by Dr Ahona Guha (Scribe, 2026) Understanding relationships isn’t just about other people—it…

More News

  • Lambing program yields productive results

    Lambing program yields productive results

    LATEST results from an on-farm Mallee demonstration have shown promising results for sheep producers looking to improve flock reproductive performance. The More Northern Mallee Lambs program recently wrapped up its…

  • The Rubens bring concert to carpark

    The Rubens bring concert to carpark

    IN a first for Australian alternative rock band The Rubens, their one night only gig in Mildura will be in a carpark. Lead singer Sam Margin said the last time…

  • Ready for the plunge

    Ready for the plunge

    CROWDS are expected to flock to the Imperial’s roost at oval three today as the region steps up for its third annual Mildura Big Freeze. The community driven event is…

  • Steam, stories and settlement spirit At Chaffey Festival

    Steam, stories and settlement spirit At Chaffey Festival

    FROM steam-powered farming innovation to rare archival footage, this year’s Chaffey Festival brings Mildura’s pioneering past to life. Hosted by the Chaffey Trail Reference Group and running from Wednesday 27…

  • Bail refused ram raid accused

    Bail refused ram raid accused

    THE alleged driver of a vehicle responsible for a ram raid at Titto’s Store earlier this week has been refused bail. The Mildura Magistrate’s Court heard Zach Whitelegg attended the…

  • Budget debt in heated debate

    Budget debt in heated debate

    VICTORIA’S operating surplus has become the topic of a heated enquiry following recent committee hearings into the budget estimates. The Victorian Government’s Public Accounts and Estimates Committee have recently launched…

  • Aged care protections too late: Webster

    Aged care protections too late: Webster

    MEMBER for Mallee Anne Webster has said the recently announced protections for aged care consumers is too little too late after Mallee residents are now waiting a reported 295 days…

  • Dig day discoveries at Mildura West

    Dig day discoveries at Mildura West

    PEOPLE driving past Mildura West Primary School on Wednesday might have thought that little diggers had mistaken the sand pit for an archaeological dig in Egypt. However, fossils, bones, artefacts…

  • RSPCA celebrates volunteer milestone

    RSPCA celebrates volunteer milestone

    RSPCA Victoria is celebrating its force of exceptional volunteers this National Volunteer Week (18-24 May) and recognising the essential role they play in animal welfare. As a gesture of thanks…

  • Rex reduction

    Rex reduction

    REX has announced a reduction in its return services between Mildura and Melbourne from 24 to 19 per week as part of a larger restructuring of its Victoria and Tasmania…