Aged care homes fighting hard

AGED care facilities in the region are on track to reach the required minimum first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine by mid-September.

Reports this week that 66 nursing homes across the state had yet to reach the halfway mark have not mirrored those throughout north-west Victoria with several facilities in the Mallee already at between 90 and 100 per cent compliance.

COVID-19 vaccination will be mandatory for all residential aged care workers and residential aged care workers are required to have received a minimum first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine by September 17.

It will be a condition of working in a residential aged care facility through shared state, territory and Commonwealth authorities and compliance measures.

Facilities in the north-west with the highest compliance of first vaccine dose at between 90 and 100 per cent, as at August 17, include Princes Court Homes, Oasis Aged Care, Regis Sunraysia, Mallee Track Health & Community Service-Ouyen and Riverside Campus Residential Aged Care at Robinvale.

Between 80 and 89 per cent of staff at Manangatang Multi-Purpose Service have had at least one dose, as have between 70 and 79 per cent of staff at Jacaranda Village in Red Cliffs and Murray House in Wentworth.

Regis Ontario has between 60 and 69 per cent of staff with at least one dose, while between 50 and 59 per cent of staff at Bupa Mildura, Chaffey Aged Care in Merbein and Robinvale Multi-Purpose Service have had at least one jab.

Princes Court Homes chief executive officer Jenny Garonne said she expected the remainder of staff at the facility would have had at least one dose of vaccine within the next week.

“We have worked with service providers and the community to make sure that we had vaccinations available on site so we were able to then make sure that all the staff had been vaccinated in the easiest possible way,” Ms Garonne said.

“We have just encouraged people to be vaccinated and the majority of staff were very amenable in regard to it,” she said.

“The take-up rate has definitely been positive and that gives residents and their families peace of mind.

“Like every organisation, it is about promoting the benefits of vaccination.

“If we can ensure that most of the community is vaccinated then we’re all going to benefit from it and keep everybody secure and safe.”

Ms Garonne said the facility’s 130 staff and 100 residents were “well and truly under way to be vaccinated on both accounts” by the September 17 deadline.

She said residents had been coping “really well” despite the latest lockdown.

“Obviously, they are missing their families, but we’ve been putting on a whole range of different activities to keep them pretty busy,” she said.

COVID-19 vaccination has been recommended to be mandatory for full time, part-time and casual residential aged care workers, volunteers engaged by the facility and students on placement.

This includes anyone employed or engaged by a residential aged care facility who works on-site in a facility, such as direct care workforce, administration staff, ancillary staff, lifestyle/social care, transport drivers collecting residents from residential aged care facilities for outings, volunteers, students on placement, and medical practitioners who attend and provide care to residents.

Other workers not employed directly by a facility, and who only provide in-reach services, are not required to get a COVID-19 vaccination.

Digital Editions


  • Wenty council continues projects

    Wenty council continues projects

    WENTWORTH Shire Council recently outlined latest completed and ongoing projects for the month. First on the list was a recommendation from the state government to…

More News

  • Labor hangs on for victory in tight by-election

    Labor hangs on for victory in tight by-election

    BRISBANE: The governing Liberal National Party has conceded it won’t win a closely fought Queensland by-election triggered by the sudden death of the local member. But a big swing away…

  • Polls dump on federal budget

    Polls dump on federal budget

    CANBERRA: Senior government ministers insist changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax are necessary after two new opinion polls showed voters are unhappy with the federal budget. The latest…

  • Gentle riders raise awareness

    Gentle riders raise awareness

    MILDURA’S Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride returned for another year, joining the worldwide initiative for men’s health and wellbeing. This year’s ride welcomed 24 well-dressed riders, driving through the Mildura area on…

  • Safety upgrades for highways

    Safety upgrades for highways

    SAFETY barrier installations have been planned along the Silver City Highway and Sturt Highway near Wentworth in a $1.2 million project to reduce crashes. Transport for NSW’s plans include adding…

  • Refreshing restart for wellbeing week

    Refreshing restart for wellbeing week

    MALLEE’S Community Wellbeing Week has returned for another year, growing into a full six-day program for the community. Events for the week have been scheduled for Mildura as well as…

  • Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    Assault accused bailed as family fued hits court

    A MAN accused of taking part in an aggravated home invasion following a fabricated allegation of assault has been granted bail. The Mildura Magistrates’ Court heard the incident had erupted…

  • Field Days plans for anniversary

    Field Days plans for anniversary

    MILDURA Field Days welcomed hundreds of visitors and locals to the two day event, letting everyone enjoy the exhibitions before the Saturday rain set in. The annual agriculture exhibition wrapped…

  • Championship splash

    Championship splash

    Last year’s Mildura swimming championships have been crowned the sporting event of the year. Mildura hosted the Mattioli Victorian Country Long Course Championships in January last year, supported thanks to…

  • The Kanga crisis

    The Kanga crisis

    THE Meringur FNC’s participation in the Millewa Football Netball League’s women’s football competition appears in grave doubt after the side forfeited for a second week in a row at the…

  • Merbein wins tight tussle

    Merbein wins tight tussle

    IT seems Merbein’s A Grade netballers, who came out two-goal victors against ladder cellar dwellers, Red Cliffs, at Compound Accounting Park on Saturday, are more than just match-day winners. Coach…