Slight easing of COVID-19 regional rules ahead

REGIONAL Victorians will enjoy a further easing of COVID-19 restrictions at midnight on Tuesday, as limits to outdoor dining increase, along with a return to contactless outdoor recreation.

Victorian Premier Dan Andrews said on Sunday that Victoria would pass its first vaccination threshold of 80 per cent of first doses on Tuesday, allowing for restrictions to ease at 11.59pm.

In regional Victoria, hospitality venue capacity for outdoor settings will increase from 20 to 30 people. Masks may be removed in hair and beauty salons for services such as facials and beard trimmings.

Contactless recreation will also return, with golf, tennis and boating able to return in regional Victoria and metropolitan Melbourne.

Mr Andrews said on Sunday that Victorians could feel “very confident about reaching 80 per cent double dose on the timelines we have outlined”.

The next milestone in the roadmap will be the return of students to the classroom on October 5, followed by reaching 70 per cent vaccination for Victorians aged 16 and over on October 26.

Minister for Industry Support, Tourism and Sport Martin Pakula also announced on Sunday the Victorian Government would conduct “vaccinated economy” trials in 20 municipalities next month.

The trials are scheduled to start on October 11 and will run for two weeks in highly vaccinated areas of regional Victoria. The first areas invited to participate will be Buloke Shire and the Bass Coast, Greater Bendigo, Pyrenees, Warrnambool and East Gippsland municipalities.

The trials will take place in a variety of businesses, such as hospitality, hairdressing and beauty services, tourism businesses and events such as race meetings, community celebrations and concerts.

The focus of the trials will be to test the process for establishing vaccination status, with work under way to integrate Commonwealth vaccination data with the Service Victoria app.

On Sunday Mr Pakula said the Commonwealth was working to secure the Medicare system against people tampering with vaccination status information.

“The trial is partly about ensuring that we understand all of those different pressure points and all those different possibilities so that by the time we get to 70 per cent and 80 per cent we have a much better idea of what is secure and what is not,” Mr Pakula said.

Pending the outcome of the first series of trials, further trials using 80 per cent double dose settings will be held before Victoria hit its phase C milestone on November 5.

Buloke Shire reached the 82.1 per cent first-dose level on September 13, while East Gippsland hat 81.2 per cent of first doses on September 20. Buloke Shire last week lost a bet between mayor Daryl Warren and Queenscliffe Mayor Ross Ebbels over which local government area would be the first to reach 80 per cent first-dose level.

Digital Editions


  • Salvos need help to help

    Salvos need help to help

    ALMOST nine in 10 parents going without food so kids can eat and more than one third can’t afford doctors for kids and a shocking…

More News

  • The Rubens bring concert to carpark

    The Rubens bring concert to carpark

    IN a first for Australian alternative rock band The Rubens, their one night only gig in Mildura will be in a carpark. Lead singer Sam Margin said the last time…

  • Ready for the plunge

    Ready for the plunge

    CROWDS are expected to flock to the Imperial’s roost at oval three today as the region steps up for its third annual Mildura Big Freeze. The community driven event is…

  • Steam, stories and settlement spirit At Chaffey Festival

    Steam, stories and settlement spirit At Chaffey Festival

    FROM steam-powered farming innovation to rare archival footage, this year’s Chaffey Festival brings Mildura’s pioneering past to life. Hosted by the Chaffey Trail Reference Group and running from Wednesday 27…

  • Bail refused ram raid accused

    Bail refused ram raid accused

    THE alleged driver of a vehicle responsible for a ram raid at Titto’s Store earlier this week has been refused bail. The Mildura Magistrate’s Court heard Zach Whitelegg attended the…

  • Budget debt in heated debate

    Budget debt in heated debate

    VICTORIA’S operating surplus has become the topic of a heated enquiry following recent committee hearings into the budget estimates. The Victorian Government’s Public Accounts and Estimates Committee have recently launched…

  • Aged care protections too late: Webster

    Aged care protections too late: Webster

    MEMBER for Mallee Anne Webster has said the recently announced protections for aged care consumers is too little too late after Mallee residents are now waiting a reported 295 days…

  • Dig day discoveries at Mildura West

    Dig day discoveries at Mildura West

    PEOPLE driving past Mildura West Primary School on Wednesday might have thought that little diggers had mistaken the sand pit for an archaeological dig in Egypt. However, fossils, bones, artefacts…

  • RSPCA celebrates volunteer milestone

    RSPCA celebrates volunteer milestone

    RSPCA Victoria is celebrating its force of exceptional volunteers this National Volunteer Week (18-24 May) and recognising the essential role they play in animal welfare. As a gesture of thanks…

  • Rex reduction

    Rex reduction

    REX has announced a reduction in its return services between Mildura and Melbourne from 24 to 19 per week as part of a larger restructuring of its Victoria and Tasmania…

  • Eagles to swim it in at Sarah Oval

    Eagles to swim it in at Sarah Oval

    THE Imperials A Grade netball team will have to eat bucketfuls of Weetbix to try and beat Robinvale Euston at the Sarah Oval on Saturday. The Eagles, who are at…